PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Tinkov, yes, please go ahead and tell us what you really think...

weisan
10-04-2016, 08:10 PM
For one last time...yeah right, maybe.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/oleg-tinkov-the-final-interview/

No regrets on spending 50 million

Cyclingnews: Do you think you got value for money in dollar terms for your sponsorship or was it more a personal investment for the pleasure of it?

Tinkov: If you say I threw 50 million Euro away, that isn’t true. People know the Tinkov brand in Europe now. Just the other day I bought some clothes in Milan’s Via Montenapoleone shopping street and when I gave them my credit card, they recognised my name and gave me a special discount. The brand is known in Europe. Is it worth the kind of money I spent? Unfortunately not. In many ways it was my toy and that’s why it ended, there was no direct financial benefit for Tinkoff Bank in Russia.

If I had a time machine I’d go back and spend the same money again because the emotions and the enjoyment I got in the last four years cannot be compared to any amount of money. As MasterCard says, there’s some things in life that money can’t but. You cannot buy something like riding with Peter Sagan, riding with the guys on the climbs and drinking champagne with them after a victory. That was priceless for me.

Cyclingnews: Do you think you will miss being involved in professional cycling?

Tinkov: Maybe in two or three years' time I will but not now. At the moment I’m tired of it all.

I think the serious reforms that are needed will all take place in the next two or three years and so that could mark the right moment to come back. Plus the bank may have grown globally and Chris Froome will be tired too and so be beatable in the Tour de France. Winning the Tour de France is the only reason to come back. It’s the one thing we haven’t won. We’ve won the world title, the European championships, the individual world ranking. Unfortunately we were ****ing second in the WorldTour team ranking but that was because of Contador.

I have to monitor things and then decide. For now if I want to come and visit a race, I can call a race organiser and they’ll put me in a VIP car. If they don’t I’ll just buy a place and enjoy it. I can do whatever I want. If I want to ride with the pro riders I can do it when I’m on holiday in Forte dei Marmi in Tuscany. Basically everything I’ve been doing I can still do it. For now I’ll just have to sit back, watch the racing on Eurosport and decide when I come back.

Cicli
10-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Verbal masterbation.

Lots of talking and fantasy, no real substance.

cd_davis
10-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Read the CN interview, reminds me of our presidential candidates; moving somewhere:hello:

sandyrs
10-04-2016, 08:25 PM
I love him. This was more interesting than 99% of cycling news. Of course a lot of what he says is nonsense but where else would we get gems like saying **** Contador because he doesn't drink champagne?

54ny77
10-04-2016, 09:20 PM
i'd rather listen to him than vaughters!

or the phil & paul show for that matter.

or pretty much anyone other than bobke.

the guy was THERE and spent his money doing it.

who else can say that?

not many.

more like nobody other than bob stapleton.

Mr. Pink
10-04-2016, 09:23 PM
I love him. This was more interesting than 99% of cycling news. Of course a lot of what he says is nonsense but where else would we get gems like saying **** Contador because he doesn't drink champagne?

Word.

He seems to be a fun guy, and enjoying the hell out of his money, probably ill gotten, as all Russian oligarch money is, but, what the heck. At least it's not soccer.

54ny77
10-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Or golf.

;)

At least it's not soccer.

beeatnik
10-05-2016, 12:37 AM
Ultra wealthy Russian guys are so weird.

notsew
10-05-2016, 10:54 AM
This guy is a total caricature of a Russian oligarch. He amazing. Cycling will be way less entertaining without him talking **** about everyone.

FlashUNC
10-05-2016, 10:56 AM
He's Bernard Tapie, only if Bernard had awful aesthetic sense.

saab2000
10-05-2016, 11:00 AM
He had a live interview during the Tour de France where he came across as unpolished, but insightful and fairly smart at times.

It was better to watch than it is to read. Printed interviews miss nuance that video expresses.

He's right about some things even though he's obnoxious and unfiltered.

MattTuck
10-05-2016, 11:08 AM
As the colorful Russian oligarch fades into the background, the human rights abusing Bahrain prince enters, stage right... Yeah, this sport is totally financially sustainable, and is in no need of reforms. :crap:

torquer
10-06-2016, 12:23 PM
He's Bernard Tapie, only if Bernard had awful aesthetic sense.
Awful? I thought those camo kits were awesome, in a trailer-park sort of way!
I'd say that it was a certain deceased NY Yankees owner who set the bar for embarrassing his team. At least Tinkov was seen occasionally riding a bike; Steinbrenner was probably working through the trauma of being the last kid chosen in pickup ball games by taking it out on his employees.

FlashUNC
10-06-2016, 12:27 PM
This:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/63/ec/41/63ec41a69d50b8a91ef79d8ac5d69aa3.jpg

Vs. This:

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2016/03/08/2/getty_paris_nice_514334828_670.jpg

Its not even close. Tapie was at least a con-man with style.

stephenmarklay
10-07-2016, 09:28 PM
clASS act.

CunegoFan
10-08-2016, 12:03 PM
It is funny how in a sport most people find mind numbingly boring, its fans moan about lack of mainstream acceptance and coverage while reacting to a colorful character who enters the sport in the same way WASPs react to a black family moving into their neighborhood.

We saw the same sort of reaction to Michael Ball coming to events with hot girls, distinct team kits and team cars made by Lamborghini and Cadillac.

Go Oleg!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Oleg_Tinkov%2C_Giro_d%27Italia_2015.jpg/512px-Oleg_Tinkov%2C_Giro_d%27Italia_2015.jpg

Peter P.
10-08-2016, 12:13 PM
His position on the bike sucks, too!