PDA

View Full Version : Saddle recommendation - Synthetic substitutes for B17 (no Cambium, no cut-out)

raygunner
10-04-2016, 01:22 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with my Brooks B17 and I'm on the lookout for a new saddle for my Co-Motion touring bike/commuter.

I'm on the verge of buying a Berthoud saddle but I'd really like to try something synthetic. I recently tried a few synthetic saddles with cut-outs and I wasn't digging it.

Here's my criteria:

1) Not a Brooks Cambium
2) No cut-outs.
3) Something that would be decently comfortable in regular shorts. Not looking for a beach cruiser saddle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

rcnute
10-04-2016, 02:05 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with my Brooks B17 and I'm on the lookout for a new saddle for my Co-Motion touring bike/commuter.

I'm on the verge of buying a Berthoud saddle but I'd really like to try something synthetic. I recently tried a few synthetic saddles with cut-outs and I wasn't digging it.

Here's my criteria:

1) Not a Brooks Cambium
2) No cut-outs.
3) Something that would be decently comfortable in regular shorts. Not looking for a beach cruiser saddle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If I can glom on--what about synthetic Brooks Pro?

Ryan

cinema
10-04-2016, 02:08 PM
wtb could work. silverado/volt. I have one (volt) and have never worn bibs with it just baggies, ticks all my boxes. my other piece of advice is, on many saddles with cut outs, try riding it at least 3 or 4 times with the nose completely level. usually they put more pressure on your sit bones/less on pereneum and it takes a little while to readjust your posture. saddle height is also critical, not too low.

ColonelJLloyd
10-04-2016, 02:10 PM
If I can glom on--what about synthetic Brooks Pro?

Ryan

+1 If I could also piggy-back on this one. </sheepish request>

merckx
10-04-2016, 02:14 PM
I have a B17 that is super comfy albeit a bit wide for my needs. I may try a Berthoud Aspin as it is slightly narrower. Maybe some Berthoud users will chime in.

raygunner
10-04-2016, 02:21 PM
+1 If I could also piggy-back on this one. </sheepish request>

I'm not familiar with this one. Got a link?

ColonelJLloyd
10-04-2016, 02:24 PM
I'm not familiar with this one. Got a link?

I just want to know about a synthetic, lightweight saddle that Brooks Professional riders have used and recommend. Just hoping we might cover the B-17 and Pro ground in the same thread. Happy to delete my posts if it's detrimental to this thread, though.

bikingshearer
10-04-2016, 02:35 PM
I'd try a San Marco Rolls as a substitute for the Pro. I have a Rolls on almost all my bikes, but Brooks Pro on my Eroica steed and go back and forth with no problems.

I'd try a San Marco Regal as a substitute for the B-17. The Regal and the Rolls are similar width, but the Regal is flatter and thus rides a tad "wider" and the Rolls is more rounded so it rides a tad "narrower." That seems to square with the B-17 vs. the Pro.

Both have leather covering over thin amounts of dense padding all on a plastic base. Used ones of both are often available here on Paceline, and are always available on eBay.

Them's my thoughts. But as with all things dealing with that particular contact point, YMWV (your mileage will vary). One rider's bliss saddle is another rider's ass-hatchet.

christian
10-04-2016, 02:41 PM
I don't know Raygunner. Last time you asked this, I sent you my Regal and I recall you didn't like it so much, right?

raygunner
10-04-2016, 02:41 PM
I totally agree! I'm totally open to trying something new out but I just wanted to see if I was missing a viable option.

raygunner
10-04-2016, 02:42 PM
I don't know Raygunner. Last time you asked this, I sent you my Regal and I recall you didn't like it so much, right?

I was just recalling that painful experience!

Throwing down for a Berthoud Aspin as I type. Free shipping & 10% off via Ben's Cycles...hope it works out!

p nut
10-04-2016, 03:15 PM
I was just recalling that painful experience!

Throwing down for a Berthoud Aspin as I type. Free shipping & 10% off via Ben's Cycles...hope it works out!

Doh! I have one that you could have tried out. Hope it works out for you.

raygunner
10-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Haha it better!

I went against my synthetic preference for the new saddle but I kept reading rave reviews.

I'm also hesitant to try another leather saddle since I have to admit that my newer Brooks B17 don't seem as well made as B17's from years past.

But fingers are crossed!

sevencyclist
10-04-2016, 03:39 PM
To the OP

I have settled on Brooks B17 for my roadbike and Berthoud Aravis for my rando/commuter bike. However, I have been riding with Fizik Vesta for my MTB for past three years, and it has worked well for me. Almost tempted to try on the roadbike.

I got over the concept of man riding a "designed for women" saddle, and has a center channel, but it just works great for me with no edgy feeling that I got with a lot of other cutout saddles. The length is also very close to most men saddles.

I have tried roughly 80 other saddles to date, including Competitive Cyclist suitcase of saddles programs, SMP, Specialized program, Fizik program including animals (snakes, bull), 6 Brooks variations, 3 Berthoud shapes, and Sella Anatomica.

weisan
10-04-2016, 03:44 PM
WTB Pure V...give it a try, not kiddin'. They are cheap, can get one for less than $20 on eBay, you got nuthin to lose.

trentschler
10-04-2016, 03:49 PM
I tried a Velo Orange Microfiber Touring saddle and it fit as well and was as comfortable as a B17. First synthetic saddle that really worked for me as a Brooks does. But not exactly because I found the microfiber cover to be really grippy and I like to slide around a bit. My (baggy) shorts would often get bunched up during a ride. But if you wear close-fitting cycling shorts you might give the saddle a try.

raygunner
10-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Might have to try out the Vesta too!! Thanks for the heads-up!

Ken Robb
10-04-2016, 03:58 PM
WTB Pure V...give it a try, not kiddin'. They are cheap, can get one for less than $20 on eBay, you got nuthin to lose.
I have happily used these on road bikes as well as Mtn. bikes. I also like b-17 saddles and, much to my surprise, Ariones.

For riders who like a B-17 but think it's a little too wide why not a B-17N or a Pro or a B-15?

cinema
10-04-2016, 03:59 PM
seriously try the wtbs. the berthoud is also a great saddle but i wasn't heavy enough to break it in to my liking

Stephen2014
10-04-2016, 04:10 PM
http://archie-wilkinson.co.uk/products/velo-saddle/

I have got one of these Velos on a bike, I think it's great for a non-leather. No idea how popular they are generally.

raygunner
10-04-2016, 04:38 PM
I should of never started this thread...I've already spent too much money on a few saddles!

But keep the recommendations coming!

p nut
10-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Haha it better!

I went against my synthetic preference for the new saddle but I kept reading rave reviews.

I'm also hesitant to try another leather saddle since I have to admit that my newer Brooks B17 don't seem as well made as B17's from years past.

But fingers are crossed!

I much prefer the Berthod vs B17. It took a bit to get comfortable, but once that happened, it's been fantastic. The leather feels much thicker than B17, which may mean better longevity? Brooks Proofhide helped, by the way.

Regarding Pure V's....my butt did not agree with those saddles. The old and new versions. For me, it was too soft and painful after a couple of hours.

etu
10-04-2016, 04:58 PM
another vote for WTB's
have very similar relationship with b-17's and pure V's have been a great substitute
because of their low cost, i keep expecting them to fall apart, but they holding up OK

ripvanrando
10-04-2016, 06:00 PM
I have a B17 Ti Special and Berthoud Aravis. Both are comfortable. The rails are short on the Berthoud. The Berthoud leather is thicker (6 mm vs 5.2 mm). I like them both. The Berthoud works a bit better for me on the bike with more saddle to handlebar drop.

I use the Lon Haldeman saddle break in procedure. I actually did a 300 KM Brevet three days after getting the B17.

If I am riding on either of the above two saddles, time or distance does not matter to my derriere. I have never found a plastic saddle that is comfortable beyond 150 miles although I am inclined to try an AX lightness woven carbon saddle.

http://pactour.blogspot.com/2011/01/breaking-in-leather-saddle.html

zmudshark
10-04-2016, 06:21 PM
I'm a Regal guy, but the WTB's are pretty nice for an inexpensive saddle.

If you are still coming to A2, I can give you one to try out.

oldpotatoe
10-05-2016, 06:31 AM
I totally agree! I'm totally open to trying something new out but I just wanted to see if I was missing a viable option.

Have a Rolls Due I send you for $25.Used but not used up,