PDA

View Full Version : Headset stack height

sam.g
07-17-2006, 01:07 PM
I need advice on a problem which has held up completion of the build on a late 1980's Olmo Sintex frame. Since I was unable to locate any reference regarding the original build of this frame, I mistakenly chose to utilize a new 1" Chorus headset. Unfortunately the stack height on the Chorus headset is 36.5mm which only leaves about 5 threads to grasp the fork steerer tube. As such I can't tighten down the headset adequately so that it doesn't loosen within the first few miles.

So can anyone recommend the proper 1" headset for this frame either vintage or modern? I'd like to stay silver and most likely need a stack height closer to 30mm. Thanks

Sam in Cincy

Too Tall
07-17-2006, 01:23 PM
New HS I know are around 30mm incl. ritchie logic and tange. Old school NR Campy are 40mm ish'....not good for you.

harlond
07-17-2006, 01:28 PM
I am informed the Tange Passage has a 30.2 mm stack height.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-in-box-Tange-Passage-1-threaded-bicycle-HEADSET_W0QQitemZ110007131052QQihZ001QQcategoryZ56 197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sam.g
07-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the confirmation of the Tange Passage, this actually is my fall back option. I don't think that the Ritchie is all silver. However I'd really like to learn what headset was originally speced that dictated such a very short threaded section of the steerer tube. Does anyone know the stack height of a Super Record headset?

Sam in Cincy

Keith A
07-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Our Internet has been flacky all day so I can't actually see this site, but it looks like Sheldon Brown has a website that lists the stack heights for 1" headsets. Here's the link (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/headsets/headsets-1-inch-threaded-iso.html)

Keith A
07-17-2006, 02:52 PM
You might want to look at the Chris King "GripNut". This seems like it would work good in your situation. Here's some details from CK's website...

Wish you could just put a headset on and forget about it for a year or two or three? The unique GripNut™ design incorporates a threaded collet that firmly clamps the fork threads for unparalleled holding power. This design is also ideal for heavy touring loads, forks with damaged or undersized threads, and forks that have been cut too short. Available in titanium.

The GripNut™ conversion kit includes everything you need to easily convert your existing Chris King headset cups to this unique threaded attachment style. The GripNut™ design does not allow for the use of spacers or cable hangers.

Grant McLean
07-17-2006, 02:54 PM
the chris king grip nut works well, if you can get past the higher price.
g

Frank
07-17-2006, 05:02 PM
http://tinyurl.com/zqvn3

harlond
07-18-2006, 08:39 AM
If no one minds me hijacking, I have a fork with a 160mm steerer and a bike with a 138 mm head tube. Can someone tell me whether Gripnut will work for this combo?

Brian Smith
07-18-2006, 04:16 PM
the chris king grip nut works well, if you can get past the higher price.
g

g-man is way right. the grip nut system even works well for hard-ridden mtbs, I was shocked at how fast it really holds an adjustment.

Grant McLean
07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
If no one minds me hijacking, I have a fork with a 160mm steerer and a bike with a 138 mm head tube. Can someone tell me whether Gripnut will work for this combo?

that's 22mm difference.

Not going to work. :(

g

Big Dan
07-18-2006, 06:32 PM
I hate the Gripnut.......... :mad: