PDA

View Full Version : New Quarq Questions

Lewis Moon
10-03-2016, 09:42 AM
I just got my new Quarq power meter mounted yesterday (ebauman rocks!) and I have a couple of questions:

I'm running it through a Garmin 500 and that seems to really be a class B fit. Is there another head unit out there that makes zeroing, etc easier? The 500 is a bit of old tech nowdays.

Should my computer pick up cadence off the Quarq? It doesn't seem to see the cadence sensor.

Do I REALLY need to zero it EVERY time? (see: first question)

makoti
10-03-2016, 09:49 AM
I changed to a 520 from a 500. I no longer get the zero prompt. I don't zero it anymore, but honestly don't know if it matters. Seems to read the same all the time.
The 520 is solid with the Quarq. I also have a PowerTap & it works great with that, as well.

Lewis Moon
10-03-2016, 10:13 AM
I changed to a 520 from a 500. I no longer get the zero prompt. I don't zero it anymore, but honestly don't know if it matters. Seems to read the same all the time.
The 520 is solid with the Quarq. I also have a PowerTap & it works great with that, as well.

Does your head unit pick up and display cadence from your Quarq?

RyanH
10-03-2016, 10:55 AM
You may need to update the firmware to get it to use the magnetless cadence. The Qalvin up can do it if you have Ant+ sensor on your phone.

You should zero every ride but the nice thing about the Quarqs is that you simply back pedal 3 times or so (I do 5 or more for good measure).

Lewis Moon
10-03-2016, 10:59 AM
You may need to update the firmware to get it to use the magnetless cadence. The Qalvin up can do it if you have Ant+ sensor on your phone.

You should zero every ride but the nice thing about the Quarqs is that you simply back pedal 3 times or so (I do 5 or more for good measure).

I actually have one of the magnet quarqs. I was thinking that the backpedal would be my go-to for every ride. Doing it through the Garmin takes about 5-7 minutes.

kramnnim
10-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Wow, 5-7 minutes? Crazy. 800/810/1000 all take a few seconds.

Yes, you should zero every ride.

Head unit should pick up cadence.

Lewis Moon
10-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Wow, 5-7 minutes? Crazy. 800/810/1000 all take a few seconds.

Yes, you should zero every ride.

Head unit should pick up cadence.

Yeah, I fire up the PM, put the crank in the 6:00 position, turn on the zero/calibrate mode on my 500, then I have to walk away from the bike for several minutes while it works. PITA.

makoti
10-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Does your head unit pick up and display cadence from your Quarq?

I use a garmin cadence sensor, so it picks that up.

Lewis Moon
10-03-2016, 11:24 AM
I use a garmin cadence sensor, so it picks that up.

I don't use cadence (much). I'm pretty good at maintaining ~90 most of the time. My body usually tells me when it's time to shift.
I was just wondering if I could delete it from my screen. I figured if I was getting actual data I would display it.

BSBD
10-03-2016, 11:26 AM
So, the cadence coming off the Quarq will be coming through via the Power profile, not Cadence, so you won't see it as a distinct sensor under the cadence sensor area, it'll just come through.

(Profile, I mean the ANT+ profiles. You need to sign up on the ANT+ consortium site to view the design documents, if this interests you.)

Lewis Moon
10-03-2016, 11:41 AM
So, the cadence coming off the Quarq will be coming through via the Power profile, not Cadence, so you won't see it as a distinct sensor under the cadence sensor area, it'll just come through.

(Profile, I mean the ANT+ profiles. You need to sign up on the ANT+ consortium site to view the design documents, if this interests you.)

Got it. THX

makoti
10-03-2016, 12:44 PM
I don't use cadence (much). I'm pretty good at maintaining ~90 most of the time. My body usually tells me when it's time to shift.
I was just wondering if I could delete it from my screen. I figured if I was getting actual data I would display it.

You could delete it, for sure. If you don't need it, put something useful there.

BSBD
10-03-2016, 02:22 PM

Parroting this. Manually zeroing at the start and after thirty minutes (to account for weather) should be done as it can clue you in on potential issues if the slope number returned is vastly different from previous numbers.