PDA

View Full Version : Ergolever spring vanishing?

jemoryl
10-03-2016, 09:09 AM
This might be one for oldpotatoe. A few days ago I'm riding along and start to shift from the small ring in the front to the large, and the finger paddle just goes limp. If I move it around in a certain way I am still able to shift, but something is clearly wrong.

So this weekend I pull off the offending shifter (mid 2000s Centaur) to replace it with another working one that I have and to see what the issue is. Looking in after removing the brake blade, it appears that the return spring for the finger paddle is gone (this would be EC-RE138). Has this ever happened to anyone? If it can fall out, is it possible to stick a new one in without totally disassembling the shifter?

oldpotatoe
10-03-2016, 09:17 AM
This might be one for oldpotatoe. A few days ago I'm riding along and start to shift from the small ring in the front to the large, and the finger paddle just goes limp. If I move it around in a certain way I am still able to shift, but something is clearly wrong.

So this weekend I pull off the offending shifter (mid 2000s Centaur) to replace it with another working one that I have and to see what the issue is. Looking in after removing the brake blade, it appears that the return spring for the finger paddle is gone (this would be EC-RE138). Has this ever happened to anyone? If it can fall out, is it possible to stick a new one in without totally disassembling the shifter?

Uncommon but not unheard of. If the 'hook' breaks, yup, it'll fall out and the 'tooth' on the blade won't engage the toothed bushing. I have them, $5 plus ship Just gotta take the brake blade off to get the new one in there.

jemoryl
10-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Thanks, that's what I was hoping. Didn't want to take the whole thing apart, as it still is nice and 'clicky'. I might have an extra spring around, otherwise I'll get in touch.

Dana Kilalps
10-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Just as a point of information, I had three of the four return springs fail at different times on some higher mileage Chorus Ergos, between about 30,000 and 40,000 miles. I found it was virtually no trouble to just return manually and I used them that way until I replaced the shifters with new ones at about 53,000 miles.