PDA

View Full Version : Chain Length Tech Assistance

cd_davis
10-02-2016, 07:06 AM
Upgrading a bike from 10 speed, 53/39 & 12-25 to 11 speed Compact, 50/34 & 11-28. Can I rely on the 10 speed chain's length as the correct length for the new setup? Or is a chain length adjustment in order? Both RDs are the same, standard.
Thanks in advance.
Chris

oldpotatoe
10-02-2016, 07:08 AM
Upgrading a bike from 10 speed, 53/39 & 12-25 to 11 speed Compact, 50/34 & 11-28. Can I rely on the 10 speed chain's length as the correct length for the new setup? Or is a chain length adjustment in order? Both RDs are the same, standard.
Thanks in advance.
Chris

Donno..small-small is the 'test', IMHO. I'm thinking that if the length is correct with the full size crank, it'll be too long for the compact.BUT need enough for big-big..just enough.

wallymann
10-02-2016, 07:35 AM
Thanks in advance.
Chris

for the brief period i tried compact a couple years back, i fitted up a new chain expecting some change in length being required...when i got the length set perfectly, it ended up the same length as the chain i'd just removed. :-/

cd_davis
10-02-2016, 07:36 AM
Thanks Peter, searched the Web without a definite answer....

Cicli
10-02-2016, 07:41 AM
You can always try. Worst case is that it dosent have tension in the small/small. Id thats the case take out enough links the chain is just tight in the small small and not hitting the derailuer pullys on the way back up to the crank.

oldpotatoe
10-02-2016, 07:59 AM
You can always try. Worst case is that it dosent have tension in the small/small. Id thats the case take out enough links the chain is just tight in the small small and not hitting the derailuer pullys on the way back up to the crank.

BUT, I'll mention..this chain, and all modern chains, are not designed to push pin out, push same pin in..type..Campag 11s designed to use pin in 'virgin' plate..peened..if shortening chain, need to use a snap link type connector..like IRD, KMC..for info.

Cicli
10-02-2016, 08:00 AM
BUT, I'll mention..this chain, and all modern chains, are not designed to push pin out, push same pin in..type..Campag 11s designed to use pin in 'virgin' plate..peened..if shortening chain, need to use a snap link type connector..like IRD, KMC..for info.

Definately. I gave up on pins years ago. The KMC link is the only way to fly.

oldpotatoe
10-02-2016, 08:01 AM
Definately. I gave up on pins years ago. The KMC link is the only way to fly.

w/0 belaboring this..I install 11s Campag, first time with supplied pin..then when I remove to clean, use a KMC link..

Ralph
10-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Donno..small-small is the 'test', IMHO. I'm thinking that if the length is correct with the full size crank, it'll be too long for the compact.BUT need enough for big-big..just enough.

I agree. The 50-34 won't need as much chain as a 53-39. However......If me......I would put the new chain on same length as old.....see how it works.....then remove a couple links if necessary....and I think it will be. Easier to take out then put back in. In big to big....which you want to be able to wrap....even if you don't use it.....a 50X28 is 78 teeth. A 53X25 is 78 teeth. So start out with same length as old. problem with same length as old is in the 34 you may be too slack. From a 11-28= 17 teeth plus 34-50=16 teeth for a total wrap of 33 teeth.....you are asking a lot of a short cage RD. That's why they make med cages. (Your old set up 53/39 and 12/25 was a total wrap of 27 teeth....14 + 13....well within the capability of a short cage)

cd_davis
10-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys, sages of all things cycling....

oldpotatoe
10-03-2016, 06:03 AM
I agree. The 50-34 won't need as much chain as a 53-39. However......If me......I would put the new chain on same length as old.....see how it works.....then remove a couple links if necessary....and I think it will be. Easier to take out then put back in. In big to big....which you want to be able to wrap....even if you don't use it.....a 50X28 is 78 teeth. A 53X25 is 78 teeth. So start out with same length as old. problem with same length as old is in the 34 you may be too slack. From a 11-28= 17 teeth plus 34-50=16 teeth for a total wrap of 33 teeth.....you are asking a lot of a short cage RD. That's why they make med cages. (Your old set up 53/39 and 12/25 was a total wrap of 27 teeth....14 + 13....well within the capability of a short cage)

And gonna say it again, not for you Ralph, but general info-..saw too many broken chains..yup, easier to take a link or 2 out as long as the gent has a pin(shimano!!) or snap link..for 11s(new chain). Cannot push pin out of Campag chain and install with even a new 11s pin..deforms side plates=break. You CAN with shimano as long as you don't push the original pin out(the supplied pin)..that deforms the side plates also. Snap link best..(KMC, IRD).

weisan
10-03-2016, 06:37 AM
And gonna say it again, not for you Ralph, but general info-..saw too many broken chains...deforms side plates=break.

I can attest to that based on many personal experience...being cheapskate and all, I "re-used" pins all the time...some days I succeed, some days I don't...but I always carry this with me the first couple of rides after a fresh install just in case...

http://media.chainreactioncycles.com/is/image/ChainReactionCycles/prod7843_Silver_NE_01?wid=500&hei=505