PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning cassette with Ultrasonic cleaner

NHAero
10-01-2016, 09:26 AM
I read some of the past threads on ultrasonic cleaners and bought this one (https://www.amazon.com/Optima-CD-4820-Industrial-Ultrasonic-Jewelry/dp/B002CVUOJM) from Amazon. I first put the cogs in a Ziploc bag with hot water and Citrasolv, then tried the same with detergent, then put the cogs directly in the ultrasonic bath with a high concentration of Citrasolv. None of these even begin to dislodge the chunks of grunge between the cogs. Short of trying this with straight solvent like kerosene or diesel, is there another approach that works?
Thanks!

ColonelJLloyd
10-01-2016, 09:29 AM
Kerosene or denatured alcohol. Been using an ultrasonic cleaner for years. The proper solution makes the difference. Simple Green also works well, but you need to be careful combining Simple Green and heat if aluminum is involved.

The cleaner you linked is the same one sold by Harbor Freight for $75 before any coupon. :eek:

MikeD
10-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Ultrasonic cleaners do not remove large gunk. They work on items that are not too dirty and clean them well. Do some prep work on the parts first. Heat helps as well.

MikeD
10-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Kerosene or denatured alcohol. Been using an ultrasonic cleaner for years. The proper solution makes the difference. Simple Green also works well, but you need to be careful combining Simple Green and heat if aluminum is involved.

The cleaner you linked is the same one sold by Harbor Freight for $75 before any coupon. :eek:

I've got that cleaner. I'm not very impressed with it. I think I can clean my chains better in Simple Green in near boiling hot water in an old water bottle.

ultraman6970
10-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Nothing like kerosenne or any type of fuel plus a good brush, a lot faster too.

The only problem is that it can get messy, but you can get a cassette clean in a couple of minutes.

ColonelJLloyd
10-01-2016, 10:07 AM
I've got that cleaner. I'm not very impressed with it. I think I can clean my chains better in Simple Green in near boiling hot water in an old water bottle.

Does what it does. It's not the same as a $600 unit.

Cleaning a chain with water is counterintuitive and requires a thorough flushing of the water. It works, but I choose a petroleum based product. Using the tray in the cleaner helps separate the dirt from the chain, another advantage over shaking a bottle.

djdj
10-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Don't bother with cleaners and chemicals. While the cassette is on the wheel, grab a thin rag and floss between the cogs. Floss to the right, freewheel to the left, repeat. Takes only a couple of minutes.

Cicli
10-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Don't bother with cleaners and chemicals. While the cassette is on the wheel, grab a thin rag and floss between the cogs. Floss to the right, freewheel to the left, repeat. Takes only a couple of minutes.

This with a bit of OMS and you are in business. Same with the chain.

NHAero
10-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Yup this is my tried-and-true also. Thought the US cleaner would do a faster better job but I was mistaken.

Corso
10-01-2016, 07:34 PM
Get a small plastic container, just big enough for the part you want degreased. Fill with Pine Sol. The original, accept no substitutes.

Leave cassette, or anything you want degreased overnight.
Wash thoroughly with water, dry.

You’ll be pleasantly surprised on how well it works.

I originally got this tip to clean motorcycle carbs, works so well, I use the Pine Sol soak on anything metal.

Wakatel_Luum
10-01-2016, 09:08 PM
How does white vinegar work as a degreaser? Less toxic ?

spartanKid
10-01-2016, 09:39 PM
How does white vinegar work as a degreaser? Less toxic ?

Chemistry wise it wouldn't work too well. Vinegar is a weak acid, so it's mostly water with some acetate and hydrogen ions in it. It's a polar substance. I haven't tried it, but I suspect that it would work marginally better than water.

Grease, oil, and other substances commonly used as lubricants are largely NON-polar substances, which is one of the reasons that water doesn't immediately wash them away. Common non-polar solvents like kerosene, OMS, naptha, etc. are good cleaning agents for oil and grease, but generally have strong odors and probably aren't safe to inhale/ingest in large quantities.

Degreasers and soaps usually have surfactants that trap non-polar molecules in micelles that can be dissolved on polar liquids (water).

dustyrider
10-01-2016, 10:03 PM
Old potatoe uses one. At least I think I read about him using one...

lonoeightysix
10-01-2016, 10:08 PM
i use odorless mineral spirits in a repurposed stainless steel container, that sits in a partially filled ultrasonic unit similar to the OP's (one of my few harbor freight purchases). works well (5-6 full cycles for chains), i can reuse the MS by passive distilling and passing thru a paper coffee filter/plastic funnel.

i would stay away from standard simple green, like the taste of clear anodization found on most components. SG makes an aluminum safe version (aircraft grade?)

spacemen3
10-01-2016, 10:48 PM
I've had good luck soaking the cassette in a ziplock bag with WD-40 overnight. The ultrasonic cleaner does a reasonable job of lifting off the muck after that.

Elefantino
10-01-2016, 11:38 PM
I have no idea what's in our shop solvent, but that and a brush gets everything sparkly clean.

ripvanrando
10-02-2016, 04:55 AM
I read some of the past threads on ultrasonic cleaners and bought this one (https://www.amazon.com/Optima-CD-4820-Industrial-Ultrasonic-Jewelry/dp/B002CVUOJM) from Amazon. I first put the cogs in a Ziploc bag with hot water and Citrasolv, then tried the same with detergent, then put the cogs directly in the ultrasonic bath with a high concentration of Citrasolv. None of these even begin to dislodge the chunks of grunge between the cogs. Short of trying this with straight solvent like kerosene or diesel, is there another approach that works?
Thanks!

Abrasion.....floss with old towel

Or simply preventing the grunge with proper chain cleaning and lubrication?

oldpotatoe
10-02-2016, 05:31 AM

Gotta agree, I have that one also. The heater gave up early on. A pan of hot water, simple green and a brush does a better job.

Mikej
10-02-2016, 07:14 AM
I use something called elbow grease, not found in stores. I really like the wd40 bike foaming degreaser and a scrub brush - takes 10 minutes

CAAD
10-02-2016, 07:35 AM
Parts washer and simple green for years now. Takes just a couple minutes to clean everything. Also have a sturdy brush for cleaning. Never had any issues with aluminum and simple green.

charliedid
10-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Try elbow grease...they sell it most places.

Jeff Borisch
10-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Old fake cork handlebar tape makes the best cassette flosser.

Trim off one of the feathered edges so the thick middle part can get in between the smaller cogs.

Rags catch on the teeth and induce expletives.

mwynne
10-02-2016, 11:20 AM

Trim off one of the feathered edges so the thick middle part can get in between the smaller cogs.

Ooh interesting!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

MikeD
10-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Don't use kerosene. It leaves an oily residue. OMS is better. Both have problems with disposal as they are hazardous waste and must be disposed as such. That's why I use Simple Green Pro HD and hot water. Simple Green Pro HD has a neutral ph and doesn't cause corrosion like regular Simple Green and citrus solvents. Bought it at Home Depot.

ColonelJLloyd
10-02-2016, 01:43 PM
What's wrong with an oily residue? It's gonna get lube from the chain as soon as you put it back on. Kerosene and mineral spirits can be filtered and reused as long as you care to do so.

If kerosene is considered "hazardous waste" so must be half the things found under the average American kitchen sink.

No need to be an alarmist.

wasfast
10-02-2016, 01:59 PM
I bought the same unit and have decent success with it. Probably used it 4-5 sessions so far in 5-6 months. The solvent's effectiveness will depend a fair bit on what chain lube you used on the chain. TooTall's Nix Friction lube leaves a terrible residue IME despite full wipe downs after application and each ride. His recommendation was WD-40.

I like the WD-40 option for chains as you're not totally starving the pin contact areas with solvent. I'm using TriFlow in minimal applications afterwards.

I start with one ziplock with a generous amount of WD-40 in it and 2 each of the 3 minute cycles, heater on. I then shake off the cassette/chain/whatever is being cleaned and do a second round with a different ziplock and clean WD-40. Wipe off and use. Unless your cassette or chain is a totally gunk ridden mess, this should work effectively.

I did the flossing version for many years using T Shirt bottom seams. Good for cassettes but chains are obviously different. While I understand the concerns about totally stripping the lube out of a chain, I'm far more worried about the grit that gets stuck in there. That's effectively a grinding compound over time.

As with all things drivetrain, your mileage may vary....potentially a lot

spartanKid
10-02-2016, 03:44 PM
What's wrong with an oily residue? It's gonna get lube from the chain as soon as you put it back on. Kerosene and mineral spirits can be filtered and reused as long as you care to do so.

If kerosene is considered "hazardous waste" so must be half the things found under the average American kitchen sink.

This is actually true. Most of the stuff under the kitchen sink shouldn't be dumped into a storm drain or flushed down the toilet for disposal.

MikeD
10-02-2016, 04:04 PM

So is this some stupid rationalization for dumping kerosene in the sink, ground, or storm drain to avoid disposing of it properly and according to law?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ripvanrando
10-02-2016, 05:34 PM
So is this some stupid rationalization for dumping kerosene in the sink, ground, or storm drain to avoid disposing of it properly and according to law?

It would be nice if there was a means of properly disposing of kerosene in accordance with the law. I suppose some towns, counties, or states offer a recycling or collection service but mine doesn't.

I just let my chemical cleaners evaporate.

Cicli
10-02-2016, 05:40 PM
It would be nice if there was a means of properly disposing of kerosene in accordance with the law. I suppose some towns, counties, or states offer a recycling or collection service but mine doesn't.

I just let my chemical cleaners evaporate.

My waste oil guy will take anything oil based besides gasoline. I just take it to one of my shops and dump it in the waste oil tank.

Ronsonic
10-02-2016, 06:04 PM

I have a mop head and cut off a strand or two to floss my cogs with. That and some mineral spirits is what I use for regular cleaning.

For builds, rebuilds, tear-down / detail cleaning I'll use mineral spirits in the ultrasound. Works great and everything comes out shiny.

I live in a gritty world here in Florida, most of my riding involves sand, dirt and dirt/shell/gravel roads. So, chains and drivetrain do get cleaned a lot. The rest of the bikes are a bit disreputable looking.

ColonelJLloyd
10-02-2016, 06:09 PM
No, it wasn't. Settle down, friend.

MikeD
10-02-2016, 06:21 PM
No, it wasn't. Settle down, friend.

Didn't think so but didn't want anyone to be at inspired to do that, so peace.

How do you filter it? Ive got some dirty OMS in a jar but it seems to take months before the gunk settles to the bottom so I can pour off the clean stuff. I think I tried a coffee filter once, but that was too slow.

MikeD
10-02-2016, 06:42 PM
I read that WD40 is mostly Stoddard solvent (almost identical to OMS) and mineral oil. Just saying because I think OMS is cheaper than WD40

ColonelJLloyd
10-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Didn't think so but didn't want anyone to be at inspired to do that, so peace.

How do you filter it? Ive got some dirty OMS in a jar but it seems to take months before the gunk settles to the bottom so I can pour off the clean stuff. I think I tried a coffee filter once, but that was too slow.

I do a lot of cooking and have retired a couple of different sieves down to the basement for this kind of thing. I just do some stepped down gravity filtering and then pour the filtered solvent off into another container. I'll stop pouring when I get to the gunk and then transfer the "bottom of the cup" into a container with lid and keep adding to it. I've also retired various silicone spatulas and the like from the kitchen which are useful for this kind of thing.

LegendRider
10-02-2016, 07:46 PM
I've found that OMS leaves my anodized aluminum parts "cloudy." I'm back to spending more for Park Chain Brite...

teleguy57
10-02-2016, 07:59 PM
I have a mop head and cut off a strand or two to floss my cogs with. That and some mineral spirits is what I use for regular cleaning.

This. Picked up an inexpensive cotton mop head and I have enough material to floss cassettes for a couple of years. Great solution. Fast, neat (as in not messy) and inexpensive.

JAGI410
10-02-2016, 08:49 PM
These work well

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/cleaning-tools/gear-floss-microfiber-rope

purpurite
10-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Get a small plastic container, just big enough for the part you want degreased. Fill with Pine Sol. The original, accept no substitutes.

Leave cassette, or anything you want degreased overnight.
Wash thoroughly with water, dry.

You’ll be pleasantly surprised on how well it works.

I originally got this tip to clean motorcycle carbs, works so well, I use the Pine Sol soak on anything metal.

This tip seemed to get completely missed in this list of cleaning solutions, and it is absolutely the truth. I cleaned some of the nastiest engine components this way, and outside of the horrid smell, there are no negatives about using Pine Sol. Do wear gloves when using it, though, because it's more caustic to your skin than you would think.

CSKeller
10-02-2016, 11:43 PM
No need for overnight soakings or ultrasonic cleaners. Just get some Morgan Blue chain cleaner and have your cassette clean and bright in minutes.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Chain+Cleaner&vendorCode=MORGAN&major=6&minor=18

I never heard of it but Excel Sports ran a special on a Morgan Blue cleaning kit last year. I picked one up and have been totally impressed with how clean my bikes are. Of course you need to add a small bit of elbow grease and rinse off your chain and cassette with water after using the chain cleaner. I then use an air compressor to blow dry all the water from the derailers and chain.

MikeD
10-03-2016, 10:18 AM
I've found that OMS leaves my anodized aluminum parts "cloudy." I'm back to spending more for Park Chain Brite...

Beware that there is some phony OMS out there that is not petroleum based. Perhaps you used that. I can't imagine that real OMS would discolor aluminum.

Corso
10-03-2016, 10:38 AM
This tip seemed to get completely missed in this list of cleaning solutions, and it is absolutely the truth. I cleaned some of the nastiest engine components this way, and outside of the horrid smell, there are no negatives about using Pine Sol. Do wear gloves when using it, though, because it's more caustic to your skin than you would think.

Pine Sol also won’t ruin rubber parts. Other solvents can “absorb into” and distort the rubber.

HenryA
10-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Oileater does the trick. You can buy it at most auto parts stores, probably Wally World as well.

!5 minutes in the ultrasonic, a good rinse in hot tap water and the cassette will be sparkling clean.

ColonelJLloyd
10-03-2016, 01:00 PM

Is not the ingredient that works to clean in Pine Sol alcohol? Seems like you could use denatured alcohol and avoid all the other crap in the Pine Sol solution.

LegendRider
10-04-2016, 09:08 AM
No need for overnight soakings or ultrasonic cleaners. Just get some Morgan Blue chain cleaner and have your cassette clean and bright in minutes.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Chain+Cleaner&vendorCode=MORGAN&major=6&minor=18

I never heard of it but Excel Sports ran a special on a Morgan Blue cleaning kit last year. I picked one up and have been totally impressed with how clean my bikes are. Of course you need to add a small bit of elbow grease and rinse off your chain and cassette with water after using the chain cleaner. I then use an air compressor to blow dry all the water from the derailers and chain.

I believe it was on CyclingTips where I read that Sky mechanics add Windex to Morgan Blue degreaser. Is it simply to the thin it or is there another reason?

TimD
10-04-2016, 09:50 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Microfiber-Cleaning-microfiber/dp/B004JKK75A

Works great. More expensive than a rag. Well, depending on what the rag was made from :)

No dog in this hunt, BTW.

Corso
10-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Is not the ingredient that works to clean in Pine Sol alcohol? Seems like you could use denatured alcohol and avoid all the other crap in the Pine Sol solution.

I’m no alchemist, all i know it works. Many examples on the web, for example this:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-pine-sol-degreaser-thread.560117/

MikeD
10-05-2016, 10:14 AM
What's the ph of Pine Sol? If it's not neutral, beware of corrosion. Treat it like citrus solvent in that case.

purpurite
10-05-2016, 06:38 PM

glycolic acid and alcohol. it's the acid that does all the work. the alcohol is the solvent carrier.

ColonelJLloyd
10-05-2016, 06:53 PM
glycolic acid and alcohol. it's the acid that does all the work. the alcohol is the solvent carrier.

Thanks for the info!

CSKeller
10-06-2016, 12:23 AM
I believe it was on CyclingTips where I read that Sky mechanics add Windex to Morgan Blue degreaser. Is it simply to the thin it or is there another reason?

I haven't heard about thinning it with Windex...I just know Morgan Blue works!!! The chain cleaner works just like in this video...AWESOME!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6w9_pJaTmQ

Here is another vid from Morgan Blue testing against competitors. I am always skeptical of company self promotions but my experience proved that Morgan Blue works better than many other things I have tried (Finish Line, Dawn, Zip Car Wash, Simple Green, Citrus Cleaners)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2WjGWdRDAg