PDA

View Full Version : TRP HY/RD versus Spyre

ColonelJLloyd
09-30-2016, 03:27 PM
I really like the Spyre SLCs on my all-road bike, but even with a 180mm rotor and 1mm washers shimming out the rotor (SP PD-8 hub) I get some spoke rub on the caliper when riding out of the saddle.

Does anyone know if the HY/RD caliper is less hefty such that it doesn't protrude as far toward the spokes as the Spyre? I can't seem to find any specs regarding size of the calipers anywhere.

As an aside, is there a better cable actuated disc that might be an option?

vqdriver
09-30-2016, 04:23 PM
The spyre does protrude more than the bb7 style due to the dual piston design. Iirc, the hy/rds are not as wide.
But if i were you id just call them up. Real people answer their phones and these people have proven to be super helpful. Im sure they have a schematic they can reference. And if they dont they would probably just grab one from the warehouse and measure it on the spot.
Good folks over there.

mistermo
09-30-2016, 10:07 PM
^Ditto. I called to ask which discs play best with Campy. I was surprised that a real person answered, no overseas accent, and they knowledgeably explained that the Spyres were what I wanted, Spyre SLCs if I wanted a nice model.

At Interbike, I posed the same question to the Campy tech guy, and he didn't know the answer. TRP was one booth away and explained to him the same.

Good customer service.

R3awak3n
10-01-2016, 08:41 AM
I know you probably don't want to do this but I know people who have filed the caliper to gain some clearance. Not optimal I know but would work. I have a couple mm btw the spokes and the caliper but before the spores I had bb7s and they had clearance, you could also try Paul's because they are also just 1 sided.

Also I agree, TRP is awesome and they have great customer service

ColonelJLloyd
10-01-2016, 09:27 AM
I know you probably don't want to do this but I know people who have filed the caliper to gain some clearance. Not optimal I know but would work. I have a couple mm btw the spokes and the caliper but before the spores I had bb7s and they had clearance, you could also try Paul's because they are also just 1 sided.

Also I agree, TRP is awesome and they have great customer service

Mine are the SLCs. I'd rather sell them as is than file then.

I've read that the Klampers are as chunky as the Spyres.

I'll call TRP on Monday. Thanks, all.

ColonelJLloyd
10-03-2016, 09:44 AM
TRP rep said that, of course, the Spyre interference with this hub is known and that the width of the HY/RD is less and will not cause an issue.

R3awak3n
10-03-2016, 11:11 AM
TRP rep said that, of course, the Spyre interference with this hub is known and that the width of the HY/RD is less and will not cause an issue.

thats good to hear. I thought about the HyRd but apparently they don't work great with campy (at least is what I read when I was making my research), then again the spyres are just ok with campy too, need tons of finess to adjust properly. My front is great, my back could use work. I like the HyRd, I bet its a better brake but a bit heavier and more expensive.

ColonelJLloyd
10-03-2016, 11:30 AM
thats good to hear. I thought about the HyRd but apparently they don't work great with campy (at least is what I read when I was making my research), then again the spyres are just ok with campy too, need tons of finess to adjust properly. My front is great, my back could use work. I like the HyRd, I bet its a better brake but a bit heavier and more expensive.

Yeah, the weight penalty isn't attractive. Still lighter than fully hydro, no? I haven't done a comparison. I don't plan on going back to Campy so not worried about that. That said, the cable routing hack for Campy seems like it does the job.

a4racer
10-03-2016, 02:11 PM
...a physicist nor do I play one on TV.

Nor do I have any science background, beyond Grade 12 Physics (in which I did very very poorly).

Is there any concern in having the hydraulic reservoir down by the rotors--would the heat on the rotor affect the hydraulic properties of the oil in the nearby reservoir?

A: No a4racer, you are a big dummy.

Anyways, I've been curious about this for a while.

ColonelJLloyd
10-03-2016, 02:12 PM

Nor do I have any science background, beyond Grade 12 Physics (in which I did very very poorly).

Is there any concern in having the hydraulic reservoir down by the rotors--would the heat on the rotor affect the hydraulic properties of the oil in the nearby reservoir?

Ha. I'll accept the risk on this one.

peanutgallery
10-03-2016, 05:17 PM
I too wondered about this and my Crux came with them (Hy/Rd) . Few hundred miles in the mountain dirt roads of central PA and no issues. This is with some pretty hefty descending and screwing around in single track. My understanding is its all about the set-up. When you engage the brake in the stand you should be able to thread in the little doo-hickey. If not, heat will be a problem - so it says in the set-up info. If it ever becomes a problem I am definitely going hydro

I will recommend running tubeless tires, been using a 32c Clement USH with about 45 pounds of pressure. Found 38c and 40c just a little too squishy