PDA

View Full Version : Two Cyclists Killed By Drunk Driver

mwos
07-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Today's Enquirer Story http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060717/NEWS01/607170342/-1/CINCI

This time it hits home for me. The guy who was killed was the boyfriend of someone we knew. I had met him shortly before we moved to Colorado but his girlfriend was in our ski club and we've known her for years. We don't know if she was there when it happened.

So sad and senseless.

Kathi

Cinci Jim
07-17-2006, 11:38 AM
http://www.cincinnaticycleclub.org/eforum/show.php?topic=20060716170431

BumbleBeeDave
07-17-2006, 12:04 PM
. . . and all too common. Joel Melnikoff was killed here last week, again by am intoxicated driver.

I don't think this is just a cycling problem, though. It's a drunk driving problem.

BBD

manet
07-17-2006, 12:05 PM
It's a drunk driving problem.

BBD

maybe they need a union

BumbleBeeDave
07-17-2006, 12:12 PM
DEFINITELY not funny. :no: :mad: :butt:

Two people--fellow cyclists-- are dead because of this drunk driver.

BBD

Tom
07-17-2006, 12:15 PM
I still maintain it's an idiot problem. Drunk or sober, some people's brains just don't work.

manet
07-17-2006, 12:18 PM
DEFINITELY not funny. :no: :mad: :butt:

Two people--fellow cyclists-- are dead because of this drunk driver.

BBD

dave, you're easier than a bluegill sitting on a redd

mwos
07-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Ironically, the sentencing for the kid who ran into our house last summer, also DUI and street racing, is tomorrow. This just reinforces my lack of sympathy towards the kid.

Terry was a really nice person. I met him on a club ride (BCBCBC) 2 years ago. He was so encouraging to me as I was struggling with my asthma in the heat and humidity that morning, we ate lunch together at the Amish store. He was also a member of the Cincinnati Ski Club, and he was known by many of our friends.

Kathi

Needs Help
07-17-2006, 01:11 PM
The guy who caused the wreck was driving on a suspended license and will be arraigned this moring according to news reports this morning. He has had prior arrests/citations for drug possession in Hamilton and Clermont Counties. ....

mwos
07-17-2006, 01:20 PM
No sympathy from the judge, he set bond at one million dollars!

Kathi

BumbleBeeDave
07-17-2006, 01:27 PM
If you'd like to tease me into a lather, perhaps it might be better to do it in another thread . . . perhaps call it the "work BBD into a Lather" thread . . . ?

BBD

Skrawny
07-17-2006, 02:03 PM
We just had a local cyclist hit who is in serious condition in the hospital. Whenever a high-profile case like this happens, the cops usually set up a road-block and hand out "share the road pamphlets to the cyclists (as if we are the ones who need encouragement).

This time they were stopping both cars & bikes and giving the pamphlets to both. Maybe they are starting to move away from the prevous "car-centric" view. Hopefully it will do something.
Likely the drivers paid as little attention to the pamphlets as the cyclists. Certainly there will always be idiots behind the wheel...
-s

OnceFast
07-17-2006, 06:29 PM
At least this driver was charged with what "sounds" like a serious crime, although I'd like to hear from some locals about what sort of penalties the charge carries. Here in the Albany, NY, other than the DWI, charges are yet to be filed against the drunk driver who killed Joel Melnikoff two weeks ago today.

I think public education efforts, memorial rides, etc. are a waste of time - at least from a prevention point of view. I'd like to see state laws that make drunks who kill cyclists or pedestrians do serious jail time. I think in NY state a drunk driver who kills someone is guilty of a felony only if "gross negligence" can be shown. That sounds like lawyerspeak weasel words. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

mwos
07-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Here's a link to an Ohio law that was passed in 2004. Looks like it was designed to protect construction workers so I'm not sure how much it applies in this case.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/06/02/loc_loc1traff.html

However, the way I'm reading it there are stiffer "aggrevated vehicular homicide" consquences for anyone driving with a suspended license or having 3 or more DUI convictions.

It will be interesting how this one plays out!

OnceFast
07-17-2006, 07:56 PM
It is not too comforting to me that an Ohio driver has to have three drunken driver priors before doing mandatory jail time for killing someone while drunk.

How about zero?

Tom
07-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Over in Wales, drive drunk once lose license forever. Or so I'm told, my aunt moved over there a while back. Maybe that's not such a bad idea.

It occurred to me this morning that if the lady that killed Joel Melnikoff had just run her car into the guard rail it would never have been news. You wonder how many times that happens. My sister was driving up Interstate 91 north of Norwich Vt. a couple of weeks ago and all of a sudden the cars in front of her scattered like quail. There appeared in the middle of the road a car on its roof. She pulled over and got out to see if everyone was alright because the car was still moving. The people that saw it said the driver was drunk and he ran away into the woods. Nothing about it ever appeared in the paper.

mwos
07-18-2006, 12:52 PM
We just came from the sentencing for the guy who hit our house last summer. It was quite interesting. We didn't have an attorney but there was a woman who worked with us and advised us what to say. Because we took the time to show up we were told that would carry a lot of weight.

The guy's attorney tried to show how he had become a responsible citizen, was back in school, had a job, had a 3 month old with his girlfriend, was staying away from his drinking buddies, was in a rehab program, etc. We were told all this was to get sympathy from the judge and many judges fall for it.

My partner spoke about the lack of responsiblity and respect for the law that this kid showed, he left the scene, driving without insurance, refused the breathilizer test and speeding. We gave details of the accident and pointed out it could have been a lot worse. I spoke of the emotional hardship on us, my mother passed away 4 days later and we had to return to Ohio so repairs got delayed etc.

We also pointed out that the kid gave no apology, has made no attempt at restitution even though he pleaded guilty over a month ago.

We found out he had a prior conviction in another county and had just gotten his license back before he hit our house.

The judge took into consideration his straightening out his life, however, she pointed out that the first conviction should have been a wake up call and he had a attitude problem ( instead of changing his ways, he thought he could beat the system) that he needs to deal with. He got 30 days in jail w/18 probation and suspended license, and he must begin making restitution to us immediately.

So that's how the system works, at least here in Colorado. Some do learn and clean up their act but others, as in the case with my bicyclist friend who died, just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over until something tragic happens.

My mother was an alcoholic so I have an understanding of the desperation to drink, but what I don't understand is the insistence of people under the influence to drive. What does it take to simply say "I'm too drunk, I can't drive"?

dzen
07-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Drive through package stores in Ohio...

gdw
07-18-2006, 05:28 PM
We have them in Colorado as well. What's your point?

dzen
07-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Seems to be a different attitude to some things.

Maybe just an impression I got not being from Ohio. I worked in Ohio a few years and have friends there today. I loved the people.

Yes I know Ohio is not the only place with drive thrus.

I just grew up without experiencing them.

gdw
07-18-2006, 08:38 PM
There aren't many here but they don't discriminate against cyclists and sure are nice after a long ride. You don't have to worry about slipping on a slick floor or offending the other patrons with your funky smelling clothes.