PDA

View Full Version : Proper technique for installing quiill stems?

weisan
09-30-2016, 07:36 AM
Is there such a thing as the proper technique for installing quill stems through modern day handlebars? It seems like pulling teeth every time I have to wiggle one through the bends and curves of a handlebar, either that or the bar get all scratched up.

shane.rrr
09-30-2016, 07:38 AM
I always feel the same way. At least any marring is covered by the bartape

R3awak3n
09-30-2016, 07:45 AM
I have the same problems too. It depends on the quil and on the handlebars. Soma hey one went in with no problems but the nitto noodles, jeez they are so damn scratched now and for a second I almost gave up.

Love quills but gotta say, life is much better now ahha.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2016, 07:46 AM
Is there such a thing as the proper technique for installing quill stems through modern day handlebars? It seems like pulling teeth every time I have to wiggle one through the bends and curves of a handlebar, either that or the bar get all scratched up.

This or maybe a reverse bolt with a penny in it.

R3awak3n
09-30-2016, 07:47 AM
Also just saw this on VOs blog

http://i65.tinypic.com/rigaom.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
09-30-2016, 08:17 AM

Depends on the type of clamp the stem uses, but the coin with the bolt threaded from the other side as mentioned below works great if your stem is made like that. If not, sometimes there's room for a thin nut.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/inserting-a-handlebar-into-a-stem/

redir
09-30-2016, 08:25 AM
Gosh I wish I had known about the coin trick for the 20 years or so that I had quill stems... Brilliant.

weisan
09-30-2016, 08:28 AM
Thank you for the great suggestions pals.

bobswire
09-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Also just saw this on VOs blog

http://i65.tinypic.com/rigaom.jpg

It's about time someone made one of these up. Hope you don't mind I shrunk to fit the page.:) I'm sure I'll be buying one of those.
Quote: Velo Orange

We've been testing prototypes of a removable faceplate 1" quill stem which has already passed ISO MTN standards! We've been asked to make these for a long time, and they'll be ready for production once our real world testing is completed. Like our Cigne Stems, they'll be available in Chrome, Nickel, and Noir in the 31.8mm clamp size-way.

DHallerman
09-30-2016, 09:16 AM
This or maybe a reverse bolt with a penny in it.

For steel stems, yes.

For titanium stems, yes but more difficult.

Dunno about for alloy ones.

DHallerman
09-30-2016, 09:19 AM
It's about time someone made one of these up. Hope you don't mind I shrunk to fit the page.:) I'm sure I'll be buying one of those.

While rare, Nitto has made some removable faceplate 1" quill stems, steel, nickel-silver color, nice.

Nitto nice.

weisan
09-30-2016, 09:35 AM
Worked like a charm!!!
Went thru this time without even so much as a whimper.
So thank you.

oliver
09-30-2016, 09:36 AM
Jan Heine has an article about it here (https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/inserting-a-handlebar-into-a-stem/)

Welp looks like I forgot to click the post reply button and someone else did in the meantime.

bicimechanic
09-30-2016, 09:41 AM
The penny and reverse bolt always work. Nitto also makes a stem spreader. I have always found it easier to have the stem out of the bike as well so you could manipulate it easier around the bar. Zero scratches in bars for many years...

http://www.euroasiaimports.com/ProductCart/pc/catalog/nittostemspreadingtool_673_detail.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
09-30-2016, 09:42 AM
While rare, Nitto has made some removable faceplate 1" quill stems, steel, nickel-silver color, nice.

Nitto nice.

UI-100. I sold one recently. Very nice piece.

R3awak3n
09-30-2016, 09:50 AM
the nitto is probably super nice but its going to be expensive (was it for 31.8 bars?)

Its cool that VO is making one everyone can afford (of course won't be as quality but I do have a VO quill on one of my bikes, really nice, I really like that stem)

bart998
09-30-2016, 10:11 AM
I used to use a flat bladed screw driver as a wedge to spread the clamp, but always worried about the stem breaking (never did, gently tap into place). I also gently filed the inside edges of the clamp so it was slightly rounded and wouldn't scratch. Then I switched to this: http://www.cyclollector.com/4313-thickbox_default/quill-stem-3ttt-2002-evol.jpg ... with a hinged clamp.

DHallerman
09-30-2016, 10:12 AM
The Nitto UI-2 stems I've had for 26.0 bars.

Visually, that size handlebar clamp seems to work best with 1" quills.
At least in my eyes.

the nitto is probably super nice but its going to be expensive (was it for 31.8 bars?)

Its cool that VO is making one everyone can afford (of course won't be as quality but I do have a VO quill on one of my bikes, really nice, I really like that stem)

Fatty
09-30-2016, 10:28 AM
Worked like a charm!!!
Went thru this time without even so much as a whimper.
So thank you.

Now that's your lucky penny.

ColonelJLloyd
09-30-2016, 10:38 AM
The Nitto UI-2 stems I've had for 26.0 bars.

Visually, that size handlebar clamp seems to work best with 1" quills.
At least in my eyes.

Yeah, and I'm not even sure the quill UI stems are even available any longer.

weisan
09-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Now that's your lucky penny.

Indeed!

http://www.wearmyjewelry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/coin-necklace-12.jpg

weisan
09-30-2016, 12:55 PM
One disaster averted, another one popped up...

So, after successfully installed the new stem on my Merckx, I took it out for a quick spin during lunch. I mean, the first 5 minutes was like heaven, with the new stem, my position was better than before...by a magnitude of 10.
But then as I sat back down on the saddle after a brief moment of standing on my pedals on a downhill, I heard a pop and the next thing I know, the entire seat post dropped down to sea level... ***!?? I coasted down to safety before I came to a stop to inspect what happened. Found the seat binder bolt missing the other half. So I walked back up to where I started to see if I can find it on the road... The good news is, I did... but I am surprised to find that the bolt had been sheared to half and broke off together with the tightening nut.

DHallerman
09-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Can't tell from the photos, but is that seatpost binder bolt a Campy one?

I ask, because they've regularly broken for me. In fact, somebody once told me the Campy seatpost binder bolt was designed to break.

To replace what you have, I suggest finding the right size of Sugino seatpost binder bolt. Does the Merckx have a slot in the frame, so that it can use a keyed Sugino bolt?

Sorry for the problem. Happy to hear you weren't hurt.

So, after successfully installed the new stem on my Merckx, I took it out for a quick spin during lunch. I mean, the first 5 minutes was like heaven, with the new stem, my position was better than before...by a magnitude of 10.
But then as I sat back down on the saddle after a brief moment of standing on my pedals on a downhill, I heard a pop and the next thing I know, the entire seat post dropped down to sea level... ***!?? I coasted down to safety before I came to a stop to inspect what happened. Found the seat binder bolt missing the other half. So I walked back up to where I started to see if I can find it on the road... The good news is, I did... but I am surprised to find that the bolt had been sheared to half and broke off together with the tightening nut.

ColonelJLloyd
09-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Can't tell from the photos, but is that seatpost binder bolt a Campy one?

I ask, because they've regularly broken for me. In fact, somebody once told me the Campy seatpost binder bolt was designed to break.

To replace what you have, I suggest finding the right size of Sugino seatpost binder bolt. Does the Merckx have a slot in the frame, so that it can use a keyed Sugino bolt?

Sorry for the problem. Happy to hear you weren't hurt.

+1

Get a Sugino bolt. I've also used a Dremel cut-off disk to remove the key from Sugino to use on frames without the slot.

weisan
09-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Thanks Haller and Colonel pals...;)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41iaH-yr3nL.jpg

mtechnica
09-30-2016, 01:20 PM
You have to insert the bar so the inside part of the bend radius is facing the narrowest part of the handlebar clamp in the stem, that's why a lot of quill stems have a narrower section that's usually where the clamp bolt is. 95% of the time you don't need to expand the clamp if you actually put the bars in how you're supposed to.

Ken Robb
09-30-2016, 03:05 PM
I HAVE HAD PRETTY GOOD SUCCESS twisting a broad flat screwdriver in the slot to spread it. The penny trick looks really good.

velocio
09-30-2016, 04:59 PM
The breakage might be due to age and fatigue, but it's also worth confirming that the proper sized seatpost is installed. An undersized seatpost can cause this type breakage in short order. Worth checking anyway ...

Cheers!

thirdgenbird
09-30-2016, 05:04 PM
+1

Get a Sugino bolt. I've also used a Dremel cut-off disk to remove the key from Sugino to use on frames without the slot.

In this case, I use th Campag female side with a different male side. Works great.

weisan
09-30-2016, 05:59 PM
The breakage might be due to age and fatigue, but it's also worth confirming that the proper sized seatpost is installed. An undersized seatpost can cause this type breakage in short order. Worth checking anyway ...

Cheers!

Thank you Velocio pal.

weisan
10-01-2016, 05:16 AM
Went diggin' my parts bin and found a suitable replacement. All good. But riding the Serotta this morning in our group ride so the Merckx would have to wait till Sunday or Wednesday at the next group ride.

VoyTirando
10-01-2016, 06:47 AM
I HAVE HAD PRETTY GOOD SUCCESS twisting a broad flat screwdriver in the slot to spread it. The penny trick looks really good.

Ive had success, and I've also broken a cinelli xo using the screwdriver technique, which was scary, and was thr last cinelli stem i ever mounted. The nitto technomic was easier for some reason, and a Salsa removable faceplate one was wonderful.

smontanaro
10-01-2016, 10:27 AM
I didn't see it mentioned, but in addition to the other advice, you need to make sure the clamp and bar sizes match. There were a few common sizes, and in my relatively limited experience the clamp size is rarely stamped on the stem.