PDA

View Full Version : V Brake Suggestions With STI Lever

George Ab
09-29-2016, 04:50 PM
For you gravel folks that have the Shimano SLR-EV architecture (brake cable runs under tape such as Ultegra 6700/6800, 105 - 5700 Dura Ace – 7900, etc.) what cantilever or V brakes do you use that provide excellent mechanical advantage similar to side pulls brakes when married up with modern road STI levers? Any experience with TRP CX8.4, TRP CX9 and/or Tektro RX6, others?

This is why I ask. I have Ultegra 6700 road levers and currently am using FSA SL-K cantilever brakes. I have shortened the yoke wire as much as possible to provide the most mechanical advantage (per Sheldon Brown: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html), but it is still not enough. I ride on the hoods 90% of the time and need to be able to lock’em up if needed, or find that sweet spot just before locking up. I’m not a CX guy, but a gravel guy. I live near the Olympic Mountains and many forest roads close by, and I ride on roads to get there; grades in the high teens are not unusual and long fast descents on roads. I need braking power.

p nut
09-29-2016, 04:53 PM
I've not used them, but many here love mini V-brakes.

https://www.amazon.com/Paul-Minimoto-Mini-V-Brake-Black/dp/B008ZTLJTY

CMiller
09-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Paul minimotos are the best, but TRP 8.4's are fantastic and show up in the classifieds here from time to time.

I found found $20 mini v-brakes to have more stopping power than $150 cantilevers haha Less modulation and less mud clearance, but worth the pay off.

CMiller
09-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Here is a quote from a similar question across the hall:

"[TRP has stated] that the 8.4s were optimized for the Sram and Campy pull ratio and the CX9s were optimized for Shimano 7800 and 6700 levers. This is merely because the longer arm matched with the longer cable pull allows the arms to fall away from the rim a bit more. Maybe a mm or so. Same goes visa versa for 8.4 and Sram. Some of the Felt guys are actually running a 9 in the front and a 8.4 in the rear on Shimano levers."

YoKev
09-29-2016, 05:06 PM
Use some travel agents, they work great.

mtechnica
09-29-2016, 06:00 PM
I have had the TRP 8.4 for a couple of years and would strongly suggest them. They are easy to set up and have consistently very good stopping power. My cyclocross bike also gets used as a camping/ touring bike and even down long steep roads the brakes are solid. They are more powerful than the best road brake calipers I've had by a noticeable margin, although the modulating them takes some getting used to for it to feel natural.

thermalattorney
09-29-2016, 06:44 PM
Get yourself a pair of CX9, it's the best you can do with those levers.

Here is a quote from a similar question across the hall:

"[TRP has stated] that the 8.4s were optimized for the Sram and Campy pull ratio and the CX9s were optimized for Shimano 7800 and 6700 levers. This is merely because the longer arm matched with the longer cable pull allows the arms to fall away from the rim a bit more. Maybe a mm or so. Same goes visa versa for 8.4 and Sram. Some of the Felt guys are actually running a 9 in the front and a 8.4 in the rear on Shimano levers."

I did just that for maybe 18mo on my CX bike w/ Ultegra 6770. Had 8.4s on originally, but swapped out the front for a CX9. That little bit of extra arm length on the CX9 really helps the 1-finger braking power in the front. You can lock the rear with one finger using either brake.

Side note: SRAM levers + the CX8.4 were the bees knees and I was disappointed to find that Shimano levers + CX9 weren't quite as good.

559Rando
09-29-2016, 09:11 PM
The macro solution here is to use min V brakes. From there, the details can be decided perfection many different ways.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

George Ab
09-29-2016, 09:27 PM
TRP CX9 have been ordered. Thanks all for the quality input.