PDA

View Full Version : Volagi Founder hit while riding and in coma. Volagi closing its doors.

ofcounsel
09-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Sad news....From Volagi's facebook page:

"We regret to announce that yesterday evening, Robert, the backbone of our company, was involved in an accident with a motor vehicle while riding after work. He is currently in a coma at McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden, Utah. Please send positive thoughts his way, send flowers, or stop by to visit. All visitors are welcome. We have also set up a Go Fund Me account for him to help offset hospital and recovery costs.
We also are sad to announce that with this accident, we will be closing our doors indefinitely. Customers who have orders placed will be happy to know we will be working this month to fulfil outstanding orders. At this time we need to focus on getting Robert back on his feet, and hopefully the bike, as soon as possible. Please consider making a donation to the Go Fund Me page here: https://www.gofundme.com/RCroad2recovery "

Fatty
09-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Poor Dude. That really sucks.

CMiller
09-29-2016, 02:20 PM
That is terrible. A lot of happy Volagi riders out there, I wish his family best of luck with the gofundme.

54ny77
09-29-2016, 02:20 PM
Terrible, just terrible. Here's wishing him a speedy & successful recovery.

purpurite
09-29-2016, 03:02 PM
Wasn't Volagi the company involved in that Specialized lawsuit that resulted in a guilty verdict and a $1 payout?

Nags&Ducs
09-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Wasn't Volagi the company involved in that Specialized lawsuit that resulted in a guilty verdict and a $1 payout?

Yes.

Keith A
09-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Wasn't Volagi the company involved in that Specialized lawsuit that resulted in a guilty verdict and a $1 payout?I think you are correct.

Very sad about the owner, let's hope he is able to recover.

vqdriver
09-29-2016, 03:16 PM
this really sucks.
hoping for a full recovery, but coma sounds bad.

any news of how the accident happened?

velotrack
09-29-2016, 03:16 PM

Yes, you would be correct.
Hoping a quick recovery for this guy.

Bostic
09-29-2016, 03:27 PM
I'm still shocked and saddened over this after reading the news on Facebook yesterday evening. I was an early adopter and bought my Volagi Liscio not all that long after they were introduced. On the tougher doubles I'd wonder at what point he would pass me on the Devil Mountain or Alta Alpina. He always said hi and gave me words of encouragement as he blazed by with the much faster group of riders.

Last year while my wife and I were driving from SLC to Yellowstone we took a slight detour so I could see where Volagi is in Ogden as they used to be somewhat local in Northern California up in Cotati.

Hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

thwart
09-29-2016, 03:34 PM
He sustained what seemed to be only minor injuries, only to later collapse at the office where his wife Lucy disovered him unconscious.

Classic story for an epidural hematoma; what seemed like a minor head injury, 'lucid interval' after the injury... but blood vessels between brain and skull were torn, which bleed and push the brain down and over from midline, causing loss of consciousness, coma, frequently death.

Hopefully he underwent timely de-compression and will survive.

Never ignore a headache after a head injury.

Dude
09-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Robert Choi invented the LED blinky light for bikes. He was also a product manager at Camelbak for a long time. I probably use a product he influenced every day I ride a bike.

I wish him the best of luck.

rnhood
09-29-2016, 04:07 PM
I too hope he recovers. Talented people but the fact they are closing shop when one person is OOC, tells me that their business was already on the brink of failing. The bike business is tough especially when trade agreements allow cheap frames to pour in from the far east.

Llewellyn
09-29-2016, 04:28 PM
I too hope he recovers. Talented people but the fact they are closing shop when one person is OOC, tells me that their business was already on the brink of failing.

Terribly sad news for everyone involved and I hope he recovers, but I'd agree with this - or at the very least that things weren't going well.

seric
09-29-2016, 04:38 PM
I hope for his friends and family he pulls through. It's always tough. My own friends who've been through similar have never recovered into the same person again, but some have been able to continue on. One friend whom we were told by the doctors at Stanford would not wake up is now building a new life after moving back to his family in NY.

54ny77
09-30-2016, 06:59 AM
Wow, didn't know that. I def. use his product every time I ride.

Think of the countless lives saved & potentially disastrous situations averted because of his creation.

Robert Choi invented the LED blinky light for bikes. He was also a product manager at Camelbak for a long time. I probably use a product he influenced every day I ride a bike.

I wish him the best of luck.

Peter B
09-30-2016, 10:57 AM
Robert is a super-nice dude, whip smart and a very strong rider. I hope his high level of fitness helps him in a speedy and full recovery!