PDA

View Full Version : tryin to steer a teammate in the proper direction

Fat Robert
07-16-2006, 06:56 PM
one of my mp teammates is looking for a new rig. 58cm. he wants to keep it at a grand or under. now, i'm the el cheapo master. i tell the guy to investigate some closeouts from some vendors that have been praised here...gvh...competitive cyclist...i tell the guy to just bite the bullet, spend 1200 and get a dang 8:30. he keeps telling me how awesome some ebay specialized tarmac is... i want to smack the boy. when my new rig comes in a month or so, i may just beat him to a pulp with it and put him out of his over-marketed misery....

any suggestions i can pass on to the kid? i can't guarantee he's going to listen...but i can try...at least i have him spinning over 80rpm and on a decent length stem now...flexible, fit 20 year old six-footers on 58cm frames should not race on 110 stems....mp.

Bill Bove
07-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Keep checking ebay. I've seen some Fierte's there. But the 8:30 would be perfect. To bad he's not a bit shorter, a buddy of mine has a CAAD 3 w/ DA 9 in great shape that he only wants a grand for complete. He needs to sell it to pay for his trip to the tour. The peckerhead will be on the Alpe d' Huez Tuesday. I'll plotz if I see him and his wife on the side of the road wearing our shop jersey :banana:

christian
07-17-2006, 08:07 AM
My suggestion: email Chrisroph and see if he's got anything used he wants to be rid of. He keeps his bikes in great condition, and is easy to deal with.

Alternately, find me something cool in 56-57-58, and I'll sell him my Palosanto frame for a song.

- Christian

bostondrunk
07-17-2006, 08:35 AM
one of my mp teammates is looking for a new rig. 58cm. he wants to keep it at a grand or under. now, i'm the el cheapo master. i tell the guy to investigate some closeouts from some vendors that have been praised here...gvh...competitive cyclist...i tell the guy to just bite the bullet, spend 1200 and get a dang 8:30. he keeps telling me how awesome some ebay specialized tarmac is... i want to smack the boy. when my new rig comes in a month or so, i may just beat him to a pulp with it and put him out of his over-marketed misery....

any suggestions i can pass on to the kid? i can't guarantee he's going to listen...but i can try...at least i have him spinning over 80rpm and on a decent length stem now...flexible, fit 20 year old six-footers on 58cm frames should not race on 110 stems....mp.

What is he gonna use it for? Racing? Why do you guys think he should spend 1200 - 1400 on a steel frame?? Just because it
has Darios name on it doesn't mean its the best choice for his one bike. Tell him to get a C'dale Six13 off ebay, or similar.
I got one brand new there for $1000 for frame/fork.

Fat Robert
07-17-2006, 11:42 AM
drunk man...i'm steering him towards AL...some good closeouts on merckx leaders out there...or the 8:30...i don't think he should get a steel bike

BoulderGeek
07-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Excel has a Salsa SC7000 Scandium road frame in 58cm for $599.88.
# Full carbon fork included
# 31.6 Seatube diameter
# 1 3/8" frt derailler
# 2.9 lbs frame

I think that would make an excellent platform. I love my Rocky Mountain Scandium.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Campeon+Frame&vendorCode=SALSA&major=1&minor=1

Get a $400 used Specialized or something off Flea-Bay, with 105 or Ultegra and strip it for your gruppo/build kit. Problem solved under price point!

Big Dan
07-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Cannondale CAAD 7 of ebay..... :hello:

Fat Robert
07-18-2006, 08:35 AM
got him an 05 merckx leader on closeout

now he can throw the ultegra group off his 00 specialized mess on to a good frame.

saab2000
07-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Very hard to beat a Merckx.

BoulderGeek
07-18-2006, 11:06 AM
got him an 05 merckx leader on closeout

now he can throw the ultegra group off his 00 specialized mess on to a good frame.

Roughly how much, praytell?

ox_rider
07-28-2006, 02:31 PM
How about a BMC Streetfire? $775 for frame, carbon fork and a seatpost. It's the Paris-Roubaix choice of the team with the ear on their shirts.

chrisroph
07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
My suggestion: email Chrisroph and see if he's got anything used he wants to be rid of. He keeps his bikes in great condition, and is easy to deal with.

Alternately, find me something cool in 56-57-58, and I'll sell him my Palosanto frame for a song.

- Christian

Thanks for the vote christian but the only thing that's extra is my old look 281 and I gave that to my law clerk to use. He was riding an old al gt that he didn't like. He loves the look and has destroyed some cat 3 fields on it. The dude is fast.

Robert's friend will like the leader. I've got one of the al leaders and it's a really nice riding machine, a very good cheap racing bike that has that cool merckx handling.

Fat Robert
07-28-2006, 03:40 PM
my young pal is getting a quattro assi g66...they're dirt cheap right now...i told him get the merckx from gvh..oh well...if the quattro is a good bike i might grab one for that price....