PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on Sarto frames

Clancy
09-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Sometime back I picked up a Sarto Classica frame/fork from here. Since building it up I've been surprised at what a spectacular frame it is, beautifully made, extremely comfortable, and the best handling carbon bike I believe I've owned. It strikes the perfect balance between stability and handling. I feel extremely confident when descending with its straight line stability yet it is also turns/leans almost effortlessly. I've never ridden a carbon frame that combines the magic trifecta of ride quality, stiffness, and handling as beautifully as this frame. And the nude carbon finish with minimal graphics makes it a strikingly pretty bike.

I've tried to track down info on the frame but have only found a minimum. The Sarto website lists only the most basic geometry. I've also found an article on Pez of a factory tour.

Does anyone out there know anymore about this model. I'm really intrigued to find out more about the bikes geometry and why it handles so well. I'm curious if it maintains the traditional Italian geometry of longer wheelbase and lower bottom bracket or if Sarto uses a more modern geometry.

Last, is Sarto new to the U.S.? Mine is the only one I've seen and I've only seen a handful on the Internet.

ANAO
09-28-2016, 10:23 AM
I stumbled onto a few on Instagram this morning. I can't remember how I got there though...

Show us a pic!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

false_Aest
09-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Soren Krebs is the US Rep for Sarto

IG: @sarto_usa_velo_italia

The last email I have for him is: Soren Krebs <sorenkrebs--at--yahoo.com>

Oh, that info might be out of date. My last email communication with him was just after Interbike 2014.

ohsnapitsed
09-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Turin Bicycles here in Chicago carries them. Might be worth giving them a ring for more info. 773-271-3141

false_Aest
09-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Oh, if you're looking for a shop to contact and Turin doesn't work out (note, there's also a Turin in Denver... not the same) you can check out

http://www.veloworx.com/ they're in Santa Monica/Venice

jemoryl
09-28-2016, 02:49 PM
They are beautiful frames. I think they make some frames for other brands as well, like the Merlin Empire and Fondriest TF1.

fignon's barber
09-28-2016, 04:58 PM
November Bicycles, the guys who make the Rail carbon wheels, actually have Sarto make their house brand frame, Timoneria. I believe it's actually one of the current Sarto models. The up side is that they are less expensive than the Sarto branded one, the downside is that is says November on it, not Sarto ( if that is important to you).

Lanternrouge
09-28-2016, 05:05 PM
Sarto hasn't had much of a footprint in the US under its own name, but they've been working on it. They used to have information on their past models on the website, but it looks like they may no longer go back as far with the newer website. They make most of their frames for other brands and I recall Nick Crumpton had them make his stock frames when he sold those in addition to the customs. FWIW, I'm a bit Sarto-obsessed and will likely one day pony up the big bucks to get a Sarto-branded Sarto.

Nags&Ducs
09-29-2016, 03:28 AM
They are beautiful frames. I think they make some frames for other brands as well, like the Merlin Empire and Fondriest TF1.

Sarto hasn't had much of a footprint in the US under its own name, but they've been working on it. They used to have information on their past models on the website, but it looks like they may no longer go back as far with the newer website. They make most of their frames for other brands and I recall Nick Crumpton had them make his stock frames when he sold those in addition to the customs. FWIW, I'm a bit Sarto-obsessed and will likely one day pony up the big bucks to get a Sarto-branded Sarto.

Sarto makes beautiful frames, and yes, they have been contracted to build frames for a lot of companies. As mentioned, Fondriest made-in-Italy models TF0 and TF1, and Crumpton M-Corsa model IIRC. I've heard they made the frames for Cippolini. Also, I think they make frames for companies that don't specialize in carbon but wanted a few carbons in their line up, like Basso, Viner, to name a couple.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Sarto when I was living in Germany, as a LBS I frequented carried them, and I could've gotten a great deal with VAT free pricing.

The only one complaint I had with Sarto was that their line-up of frames weren't very distinct. They had so many different models, and sometimes different names for frames that were virtually indistinguishable from the other.

El Chaba
09-29-2016, 06:12 AM
They also supposedly make a number of custom bikes for professional use that are designed to look like the big box bikes of the sponsor....

chiasticon
09-29-2016, 06:22 AM
looks like Rouleur has a feature on them in Issue 57, if you're into that magazine.

https://rouleur.cc/magazine/4733

jc031699
09-29-2016, 07:01 AM
I believe the November frames are Sarto. They are super super hot...

sales guy
09-29-2016, 07:08 AM
Oh, if you're looking for a shop to contact and Turin doesn't work out (note, there's also a Turin in Denver... not the same) you can check out

Actually, they are the same. Alan Fine and Lee Katz are partners in both stores. I know them both and have worked with them in the past. Although, Alan is in the Denver store 99% of the time and Lee in the Chicago store 99% of the time. I just saw them last week in Vegas.

As for Sarto....They've had an interesting start in North America. I know the original importer. He was bringing them in and then the Canadian importer was supposed to take over for both countries. There was some lawsuit stuff as there were some issues and things got flipped around. From what I know now, they are being brought in by a Sarto representative. Charles from Pez could correct me as he knows them much better than I do. But I know they had started out and had some issues but I heard it is resolved.

jemoryl
09-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Sarto makes beautiful frames, and yes, they have been contracted to build frames for a lot of companies. As mentioned, Fondriest made-in-Italy models TF0 and TF1, and Crumpton M-Corsa model IIRC. I've heard they made the frames for Cippolini. Also, I think they make frames for companies that don't specialize in carbon but wanted a few carbons in their line up, like Basso, Viner, to name a couple.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Sarto when I was living in Germany, as a LBS I frequented carried them, and I could've gotten a great deal with VAT free pricing.

The only one complaint I had with Sarto was that their line-up of frames weren't very distinct. They had so many different models, and sometimes different names for frames that were virtually indistinguishable from the other.

Basso is currently almost all carbon and the top of the line Diamante appears to have been made in-house for years. There might be a high-end Botecchia made by Sarto...

El Chaba
09-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Basso is currently almost all carbon and the top of the line Diamante appears to have been made in-house for years. There might be a high-end Botecchia made by Sarto...

Bottechia had a frame model "Emme" that was made by Sarto....

denapista
09-29-2016, 10:14 AM
Twohubs builds and sells a bunch of Sarto bikes.

Their website has lots of information on each frame and they even have frames on the sale rack.

http://www.twohubs.com/Category/Sarto/1/2755

martl
09-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Sartos are something of an insider-tipp on my side of the pond for those who don't want an expensive big marque factory bike, but want more lightness or performance than one can (presumably) get from the boutique steel-framemakers. Have heard nothing put praise from the owners. Sarto definitely knows his way around CF and knows how to make a brilliant racing bike.

roguedog
09-29-2016, 03:19 PM
i agree re: the comment of sarto models .. i perused site a while back and couldn't tell one from another or what the diff was. i suppose that's the value of a dealer... but i still think the site ought to help the end consumer some.

maybe it's a translation issue.. or a non-american marketing thing.

if anyone has insight into what are the diffs between the models i'd be interested to hear.

Nags&Ducs
09-30-2016, 06:59 AM

Yea, I'll admit it was about 4 years ago that I was looking at the Sartos, and that was about the time when I may have read that Basso's Carbon frames were Sarto-made.

Do you know if Basso makes their carbons in-house?

jemoryl
09-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Yea, I'll admit it was about 4 years ago that I was looking at the Sartos, and that was about the time when I may have read that Basso's Carbon frames were Sarto-made.

Do you know if Basso makes their carbons in-house?

Their website shows photos and a video of parts of the production process and it seems to be in-house. Don't know if that applies to all the carbon or just the high end bikes. A few years ago I didn't like the graphics on their carbon bikes but the current ones look pretty nice.