PDA

View Full Version : Hip Replacement

soulspinner
09-28-2016, 10:08 AM
X-rays say I need a new hip. Since the damaged hip was operated on 50 years ago I was always shimming cleats as I have a 15 mm leg length difference. Anyone know how much closer to even the legs could come out?

rnhood
09-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Probably within a couple mm's. So a new hip will fix a couple issues.

soulspinner
09-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Probably within a couple mm's. So a new hip will fix a couple issues.

Thanks, at least thats encouraging! :)

SPOKE
09-28-2016, 10:58 AM
The chances are good that with at THR that your leg difference can be mostly corrected. Just know that your back may not be completely happy for a while.
I had a THR in 09' and corrected 25mm of length difference. I had a revision due to the ASR hip recall in 2015 and got another 8mm. I'm as ev n now as I'll ever be but my back requires stretching and strength exercises to keep the pain away.

RedRider
09-28-2016, 11:16 AM
X-rays say I need a new hip. Since the damaged hip was operated on 50 years ago I was always shimming cleats as I have a 15 mm leg length difference. Anyone know how much closer to even the legs could come out?

That's a question best asked to your Surgeon. I work with a lot of cyclists returning to their bikes after new knees and hips and can tell you that results are affected by your physical condition/fitness before and the success of the procedure. Physical therapy afterwards will help you regain strength and range of motion. Good luck...
P.S. Once you fully recover, with your MDs approval to ride again, find an experienced bike fitter and get a full evaluation.

Ralph
09-28-2016, 11:48 AM
I have a good friend...recently moved to Arizona.....who spends his summers in Colorado mostly......who is an avid cyclist and hiker. He has had both hips replaced. Was very serious about rehab afterwards. And at age 72 is still cycling about 5000 miles per year, and still hiking a couple of the 14's in Colorado each summer. Hip replacements haven't slowed him down much or at all. He was in good shape before surgery, and is thin. So imagine you will be fine.

soulspinner
09-28-2016, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and the info. Slow speed crash wet sand in poor light. Front washed out. Keep the rubber down ...

2metalhips
09-28-2016, 04:14 PM
So much depends on the quality of the surgeon, you want to get the best, they are not all on the same level of expertise. You should look into the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing option, it could save the head of your femur if it isn't damaged too badly.

bikingshearer
09-28-2016, 05:35 PM

At the risk of sounding snarky (not my intent, but still a risk), it strikes me that this is exactly the kind of question you should be asking your surgeon. If he/she won't give you a straight answer you can understand, find another surgeon who can and will.

Jeff Weir
09-28-2016, 06:40 PM
I just had my hip replaced 6 weeks ago. Write down any and all questions/concerns you have, then ask your doctor. They know best.

sparky33
09-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Ask the surgeon not the Internet.
Go with the best surgeon you can find, someone who does several each week.

My THR is a year old. Life changing. No regrets.

soulspinner
09-29-2016, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Just found out and havent seen the surgeon yet and sure I will ask him. Just lightheartedly wondering for an idea cause 15mm is a lot and Id like to get rid of the shim and orthotic used for the compensation. Thanks again.