PDA

View Full Version : The near-perfect sub-$30 mountain bike short! Alleluja!

christian
09-28-2016, 08:22 AM
Since I started mountain biking seriously in 2012, I've been searching for good mountain bike shorts, and keeping the three people on this site who actually care informed...

Back in 2013, I discovered the C9 by Champion golf shorts available at Target. The plaid ones are 5% spandex and they cost around $25. They're true to size, extremely durable, and trim enough to not cause any hang up on the saddle. The downsides I found with them are that the rear pockets do not have any closures (so stuff can fall out) and the 10" inseam is a tiny bit short, so you will get the dreaded knee pad gap if you ride with pads. Anyway, my review, as it was, here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=132649

Earlier this year, I thought I needed fancier shorts, so bought some TLD Ruckus shorts, some Endura Humvee Lite shorts, and some Acre Supply (Mission Workshop) Traverse shorts. They all had their pluses and minuses. The Acre ones were awesome in fit, but the stitching failed after one wash, so that was a drag... My comments on all these shorts are here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=193643

After my disappointment with $165 MTB shorts that fall apart after a single wash, I decided to have another look around for decent shorts. I considered a few of the Performance Bike options (the Nevado looks like a good short), but then noticed that Target has now released a polyester golf cargo short.

The C9 Champion Golf Cargo Shorts are a 100% polyester, 10" inseam short with belt loops, through-button rear pockets, and a zippered cargo pocket on each leg. While they have wider legs than the Acre Supply Traverse shorts, they are still narrow enough to work well without saddle interference, and they actually work better with knee pads than the Acre shorts (though the 10" inseam means you'll still get the occasional knee gap). The button through rear pockets mean that they are safe to keep license/credit cards in, and the cargo pockets are well placed for pedaling, as long as you don't put anything too heavy in them.

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/IMG_4647.JPG

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/IMG_4648.JPG

$29 at your local Target or at target.com. I bought two pair, and I'm done looking for mtb shorts.

ColonelJLloyd
09-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Thanks!

I'm just now getting into MTBing. What are the advantages of something like this versus my road bibs? Durability? Is this a lot more important to consider when you use pads for MTBing?

ofcounsel
09-28-2016, 09:00 AM
Intriguing! Thanks for the tip! No issues with rear end seams after long time in the saddle?

I may go check these out this weekend!

onsight512
09-28-2016, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll check these out as they're similar to the type of shorts that I typically wear for commuting/work. Always seem to be looking for something just a little bit better than the Carhartts & Dickies that I have now.

CampyorBust
09-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Golph shorts eh, interesting will have to check...

Though they dont come with a liner kamois/shammy, i guess i could sew some loops for my existing liners. Do they come in seersucker?:)

O wow i just typed liner shorts into the googles and ... Ann Michell!:p

dgauthier
09-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Thanks!

I'm just now getting into MTBing. What are the advantages of something like this versus my road bibs? Durability? Is this a lot more important to consider when you use pads for MTBing?

Yes, what's the deal with baggy mountain clothes?

I can see how one would want mountain shoes to go with mountain pedals, since mountain pedals are designed to deal with dirt. Beyond that I don't see why road bibs, jersey and helmet wouldn't be just fine. Or better even. Those baggy shorts look more likely to get caught on branches and bushes than bibs, frankly.

Please educate me...

CampyorBust
09-28-2016, 09:51 AM

Please educate me...

If I may... I believe the answer lies in self-conscious ruggedness. Using words like Bro, Gnar, Brah, Huck, Shred, Bruh, Pimp, Chunder, Bree, Send, Dope, Clean, Stoked, Rad and Brap while wearing spandex may lead to spontaneous combustion. Plus number of pockets on ones thigh is directly linked to ones ability to huck drops, send postage, plow rock gardens, clean tech, and rail ruts.

gdw
09-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Why? We don't want to look like prissy roadies.

Dirtdiggler
09-28-2016, 10:23 AM
+1 on the C9 shorts, btw on sale for 9 bucks.. Also the Walmart Walter Hogan golf shorts too are up to par with the C9

unterhausen
09-28-2016, 10:27 AM

cycling specific clothes work just as well on a mtb. Plenty of people wear them. I have some mtb shorts with chamois liners, they work pretty well, but I don't usually use them because they don't work as well as bibs. Maybe if I'm going out to drink after a ride. Not going to psychoanalyze the mtb community.

p nut
09-28-2016, 10:33 AM
I hate MTB shorts with the pad. I've been wearing gym shorts (coincidentally, C9 purchased at Target). I was looking into Rapha touring/rando shorts, but never could click on the Buy button, as I couldn't justify the price.

I'll have to check these out. Seems like a good alternative. And I actually like bike shorts bit on the short side. Looks like they've got non-cargo options, which I also prefer.

jemoryl
09-28-2016, 02:54 PM
The Champion C9 long sleeve mock turtle shirt is a nice base layer as well. Around $20.

zennmotion
09-28-2016, 03:00 PM
The plaid ones.

You had me at plaid.

keevon
09-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Anyone have a similarly cheap-but-awesome alternative for knickers?