PDA

View Full Version : Dropout Choice on Custom Frame

ColonelJLloyd
09-27-2016, 02:42 PM
I will discuss this with my builder, but wanted to get some opinions from people with experience. This will be an all-road type disc frame and I want to more or less future-proof the dropouts. I love the Paragon inserts on my hardtail's sliders.

But, I don't want sliders for this because I want the caliper between the stays and not "out back". I think I've narrowed it down to Paragon Rockers or PolyDrops. I intend for this bike to be geared, but I suppose the option of SS is nice.

Any thoughts or preferences from those who've used either? I read about the potential for ankle bone interference with PolyDrops.

cachagua
09-27-2016, 03:26 PM
The way to future-proof your bike isn't to spec this or that dropout. The way to future-proof your bike is to develop a haughty disdain for anything newer than what you're riding. People will call you a retro-grouch, but they miss the point -- the simple fact is, reverse-thrust brakes, magnetic-engagement axles, 16-speed cassettes, and neural-impulse shifting are garbage.

Garbage.

eBAUMANN
09-27-2016, 03:34 PM
^ ha. i like this guy.

rockers or poly drops are both good options.
no experience with PD's but they look nice.
i have rockers on 2 bikes now and they are great, though i would only put em on a bike that will see dirt.

Mzilliox
09-27-2016, 03:38 PM
The way to future-proof your bike isn't to spec this or that dropout. The way to future-proof your bike is to develop a haughty disdain for anything newer than what you're riding. People will call you a retro-grouch, but they miss the point -- the simple fact is, reverse-thrust brakes, magnetic-engagement axles, 16-speed cassettes, and neural-impulse shifting are garbage.

Garbage.

maybe my favorite post ever:hello:

jmoore
09-27-2016, 03:47 PM
get the one you think looks coolest.

Lewis Moon
09-27-2016, 04:17 PM

Garbage.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/inanimateinsanity/images/1/17/TrophyIdle.png/revision/latest?cb=20130404083458

zennmotion
09-27-2016, 05:17 PM

Garbage.

You're spot on, except the neural impulse part, #doyouevenshiftbro?

dustyrider
09-27-2016, 08:11 PM
Boost is the future! We need 12 speeds already.

unterhausen
09-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Boost is the future! We need 12 speeds already.Boost is a perfect example of how the industry keeps you from future-proofing anything. A 142mm TA rear wheel doesn't work with Boost. Ok, maybe you can buy spacers for the disc and end caps for the axles, but it's a hack.

I really don't know what to recommend. I think that 142 is the near-term choice for road disc, but I certainly could be wrong. There are a couple of options for that.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2016, 05:53 AM
Boost is the future! We need 12 speeds already.

You forgot the :D or :confused:

tigoat
09-28-2016, 07:55 AM
I don’t know much about future proofing anything so I am gonna leave this subject alone. I would ignore those irreverent responses posted above.

Anyhow, I would prefer to stay away from those big dropouts if possible, as they are big, ugly, heavy, flexy, etc. FYI, I have had most if not all of them and was not impressed. Ideally, dropouts should be as small as possible to maximize drivetrain efficiency. For this reason, those Wright/Breezer dropouts would be my ideal choice. You could use those new flat mount posts from Paragon to locate the disc brake on the chainstay. You want to run a single speed too? Not a problem with a traditional “vertical” dropout if you calculate and determine the chainstay length that works with a desirable single gear combo. Bet that not many builders know how to do this kind of configuration.

ColonelJLloyd
09-28-2016, 08:30 AM
rockers or poly drops are both good options.
no experience with PD's but they look nice.
i have rockers on 2 bikes now and they are great, though i would only put em on a bike that will see dirt.

Thanks. Why if it would only see dirt? And what do you consider dirt? Basically, don't worry with the rockers unless I really intended to SS it?

get the one you think looks coolest.

Not bad advice.

I don’t know much about future proofing anything so I am gonna leave this subject alone. I would ignore those irreverent responses posted above.

Anyhow, I would prefer to stay away from those big dropouts if possible, as they are big, ugly, heavy, flexy, etc. FYI, I have had most if not all of them and was not impressed. Ideally, dropouts should be as small as possible to maximize drivetrain efficiency. For this reason, those Wright/Breezer dropouts would be my ideal choice. You could use those new flat mount posts from Paragon to locate the disc brake on the chainstay. You want to run a single speed too? Not a problem with a traditional “vertical” dropout if you calculate and determine the chainstay length that works with a desirable single gear combo. Bet that not many builders know how to do this kind of configuration.

Thanks for the input. I'm not really interested in "futute-proofing" as much as being able to run QR and 142x12 wheelsets on the same frame. I'll not use that term again; seems to be a real panty-buncher.

Running SS on a vertical dropout frame with no adjustability at the dropout/chainstay length is a compromise. You have to compromise with an EBB or be stuck with a cog/ring combo that will, in all likelihood, not be your first choice. Not to mention the ring availability in the BCD you want. Sure, it can be done, but that's not something I want to do.

Are the PolyDrops really that much heavier? The ability to change the disc mount portion isn't really important to me. Is there a Wrights style looking dropout that allows for replaceable inserts, say from QR to 142x12?

tigoat
09-28-2016, 11:02 AM
How many single speed gear ratio options would you need? Typically, for a given chainstay length, there are at least 2-3 gear ratio combo options to choose from. On the same token, within a crank BCD whether it is 110 or 13, there are also many ring sizes to choose from. Obviously, you will need to plan for what will work for you and then derive with a chainstay length to accommodate it. If you like those big dropouts with a lot of options then by all means go for it. Also, I wouldn’t want QRs for my bike with disc brakes, simply for rigidity and security reasons.

Thanks. Why if it would only see dirt? And what do you consider dirt? Basically, don't worry with the rockers unless I really intended to SS it?

Not bad advice.

Thanks for the input. I'm not really interested in "futute-proofing" as much as being able to run QR and 142x12 wheelsets on the same frame. I'll not use that term again; seems to be a real panty-buncher.

Running SS on a vertical dropout frame with no adjustability at the dropout/chainstay length is a compromise. You have to compromise with an EBB or be stuck with a cog/ring combo that will, in all likelihood, not be your first choice. Not to mention the ring availability in the BCD you want. Sure, it can be done, but that's not something I want to do.

Are the PolyDrops really that much heavier? The ability to change the disc mount portion isn't really important to me. Is there a Wrights style looking dropout that allows for replaceable inserts, say from QR to 142x12?

foo_fighter
09-28-2016, 11:22 AM
I have polydrops on 2 bikes. They do make the chainstays a bit wider since they cannot taper immediately starting from the axle. They come out straight/parallel for a bit and then they taper in. But it hasn't been much of a problem. Maybe if you have large shoes or tend to pedal with a lot of lateral movement, you might rub the stays a bit.

David Tollefson
09-28-2016, 12:03 PM
How many single speed gear ratio options would you need?

This being an all-road, you're going to want a pretty big selection for the differences in routes. You'll want to be have several to choose from. Without the ability to adjust the effective CS length, not only are you limiting your gearing choices, you're also likely needing a different chain length (and half-links) to made them work.

Also, I wouldn’t want QRs for my bike with disc brakes, simply for rigidity and security reasons.

Front dropouts facing forward takes care of any security issues. And rigidity? If there are rigidity concerns, they're WAY beyond the use of a QR. You've got frame issues if that's the case.

crankles
09-28-2016, 01:05 PM
I just had an SSCX built with rockers and love them. I think if you are going disc, AND want to go SS occasionally, they are the *only* option IMHO. swapping gears is easy peasy.

see this thread. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=193579

I too wanted fexibility. I have smallish rings up front...a 34/35 combo. With rockers and can run from a 14t up to at least an 18t cog in the rear. As you already know, Paragon makes a huge range of rocker plates.

When the etap dust settles, I"ll consider swapping my hylex for their hydro brakes/levers, add derailleurs when the mood strikes, swap a plate and go geared.
I will discuss this with my builder, but wanted to get some opinions from people with experience. This will be an all-road type disc frame and I want to more or less future-proof the dropouts. I love the Paragon inserts on my hardtail's sliders.

But, I don't want sliders for this because I want the caliper between the stays and not "out back". I think I've narrowed it down to Paragon Rockers or PolyDrops. I intend for this bike to be geared, but I suppose the option of SS is nice.

Any thoughts or preferences from those who've used either? I read about the potential for ankle bone interference with PolyDrops.