PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edge Advice

geeter
09-27-2016, 12:09 PM
So I've narrowed down to a Garmin Edge Touring and a 520. Looking for full GPS, ability to load maps, and good run time. Any reason I shouldn't go for the cheaper Touring? I don't care about heart rate and all of those metrics.

rnhood
09-27-2016, 01:24 PM
The Touring model doesn't include the barometric altimeter so, while it will give you elevation it will not provide grade. It will merely update your elevation based on GPS about every 15 minutes.

Also, the 520 can follow a route that you load from a mapping site (RidewithGPS, Garmin Connect, MapmyRide, etc) and provide turn by turn notices but, you will not be viewing the map on the device. The 520 does not having the mapping function. The 820 Touring model does. Same for the 1000 Touring model.

My recommendation is that if you don't care about elevation grades and relatively fast tracking of elevation, and HR with associated performance metrics, then get the Touring model. I like the 1000 since it has a bigger screen, but the 820 is good too. Also, I'm not sure of the price differential but, if its something like $50 then I believe that I would go ahead and get the standard model.

eBAUMANN
09-27-2016, 01:30 PM
Also, the 520 can follow a route that you load from a mapping site (RidewithGPS, Garmin Connect, MapmyRide, etc) and provide turn by turn notices but, you will not be viewing the map on the device. The 520 does not having the mapping function.

Not ENTIRELY true, you can create custom base maps online and then load them onto a 520 to give you a full map of the area you are riding in. That said, you have to fit that map onto the 520's very limited internal memory, so it ends up being quite a small map.

Id recommend an 800-series. Even the original 800's are very capable devices that can do 90% of what the current models can at a fraction of the price.

AngryScientist
09-27-2016, 01:33 PM
i have an edge touring, i love everything about it.

Johnny P
09-27-2016, 03:22 PM
i have an edge touring, i love everything about it.

I also have an Edge Touring and it's fine when it's working. It has just shut down on me on about three rides this year for no reason that I know of. Garmin support has been fairly easy to contact and has always got it working again.

geeter
09-27-2016, 03:39 PM
The Touring model doesn't include the barometric altimeter so, while it will give you elevation it will not provide grade. It will merely update your elevation based on GPS about every 15 minutes.

Also, the 520 can follow a route that you load from a mapping site (RidewithGPS, Garmin Connect, MapmyRide, etc) and provide turn by turn notices but, you will not be viewing the map on the device. The 520 does not having the mapping function. The 820 Touring model does. Same for the 1000 Touring model.

My recommendation is that if you don't care about elevation grades and relatively fast tracking of elevation, and HR with associated performance metrics, then get the Touring model. I like the 1000 since it has a bigger screen, but the 820 is good too. Also, I'm not sure of the price differential but, if its something like $50 then I believe that I would go ahead and get the standard model.

So just to clarify, the 820 is the first model that provides a map with turn by turn directions? But both the Touring and 520 provide turn by turn directions?

I also suppose that the tech for turn by turn hasn't changed so much over the past few years that an older model would be obsolete.

estilley
09-27-2016, 04:51 PM
Don't forget about the 810.

I use mine for nav all the time and it has ANT+ support.

Nice thing is you can get them on sale or used right now pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rnhood
09-27-2016, 05:10 PM
So just to clarify, the 820 is the first model that provides a map with turn by turn directions? But both the Touring and 520 provide turn by turn directions?

I also suppose that the tech for turn by turn hasn't changed so much over the past few years that an older model would be obsolete.

Yes, the first performance model. In the 820, you load a route (from one of the sources I mentioned earlier, or from some other mapping source), and once loaded you can start the route and the 820 will allow you to view the route on the preloaded map that comes with the 820 (or a preloaded OSM map should you prefer). Turn by turn navigation is provided.

On the 520, it comes with basemaps which is very lean. It generally only includes major streets. The 520 is really not designed for mapping navigation. But, as eBauman mentioned, you can download an area map (OSM) and then you can view while you ride. However, I'm not sure it will provide turn by turn instructions in the same vein that the 820 or Touring model will. So I may have erred in my earlier comment. The bottom line is that if want to view a good map and have the device indicate turn by turn navigation, get the Touring model, Explorer model or the 820 or 1000. These latter units will also map out a route for you once you input your desired destination. This is much like the automotive units Garmin sells.

Having said this, I am not an expert on all of Garmin's devices. So if someone posts a correction, then I stand corrected. Also, DC Rainmaker has a review of about every one, I think. And his reviews are generally very thorough.

buckfifty
09-27-2016, 05:11 PM
If you're using it for maps, I would go with an 800 series or a 1000 because of the bigger screen

geeter
09-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Size aside, the touring has maps and turn by turn, which are the two main features I seek.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

makoti
09-27-2016, 07:36 PM
Yes, the first performance model. In the 820, you load a route (from one of the sources I mentioned earlier, or from some other mapping source), and once loaded you can start the route and the 820 will allow you to view the route on the preloaded map that comes with the 820 (or a preloaded OSM map should you prefer). Turn by turn navigation is provided.

On the 520, it comes with basemaps which is very lean. It generally only includes major streets. The 520 is really not designed for mapping navigation. But, as eBauman mentioned, you can download an area map (OSM) and then you can view while you ride. However, I'm not sure it will provide turn by turn instructions in the same vein that the 820 or Touring model will. So I may have erred in my earlier comment. The bottom line is that if want to view a good map and have the device indicate turn by turn navigation, get the Touring model, Explorer model or the 820 or 1000. These latter units will also map out a route for you once you input your desired destination. This is much like the automotive units Garmin sells.

Having said this, I am not an expert on all of Garmin's devices. So if someone posts a correction, then I stand corrected. Also, DC Rainmaker has a review of about every one, I think. And his reviews are generally very thorough.

You can change out the base maps on the 520. Check out DC Rainmaker's review & he tells you how. It will give TBT instructions. Works great with .tcx files for that.

geeter
09-27-2016, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the DC Rainmaker site......good info.

Anyone buy a refurb and have bad luck? I guess its a crap shoot but they are about $85 cheaper..........

Cicli
09-27-2016, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the DC Rainmaker site......good info.

Anyone buy a refurb and have bad luck? I guess its a crap shoot but they are about $85 cheaper..........

The refurb units are fine. No issues here.

dem
09-27-2016, 08:49 PM
Just to clarify on the 520, even if you load "routable" OpenStreetMaps, you do NOT get turn-by-turn directions.

You get a bread crumb trail drawn on the map and it will tell you when you are "off-course." There is also no zoom in/out and no way to drag the map, wherever you go, there you are.

I still find it useful, but it is definitely no replacement for real, routable mapping.

bitpuddle
09-28-2016, 02:16 AM
The mapping on the 520 is hacky and very space-constrained. Blow the extra money for an 820 to get real turn-by-turn and live routing.

morrisericd
09-28-2016, 05:56 AM
I'll add to the 520 mapping issues. Technically - you can do lots of great stuff with the maps on it but the space is extremely limited (live on the East Coast but going to Moab to ride? Erase your East Coast maps and add the Moab ones - total pain, how much could it have cost to add a few more meg's?). Also - the screen is really small for maps.

I like the looks of the 820. I own an Element as it turns out mapping and turn by turn directions aren't that important to me. I also own a Garmin Fenix 3 for running and I have to say Wahoo's approach to updates and technology is refreshing compared to Garmin's. Garmin is the big guy on the block and sometimes it feels that way (although I love the Fenix but we've had a few hiccups along the way).