PDA

View Full Version : New group for my wife's bike?

henrypretz
09-26-2016, 09:44 PM
I picked up an older Specialized Dolce for my wonderful but essentially non cyclist wife. It came with Shim 105 9 speed triple that her tiny hands had a hard time operating. I picked up a set of the R600 "smaller hands .... heh heh" shifters and installed but she still had trouble both shifting them and understanding how they work (right hand/left hand/front/rear/up/down/easier/harder). Did I say she doesn't ride much at all?
Anyway, after new cables and checking every cable end, ferrule, and all derailleur operation, the thing is still pretty hard for her to shift. I sort of feel like her having trouble using it is watering down her desire to learn how to shift and ride in general. But, she is willing to let me try to "fix" it.
Here's where my head is - I think that new shifters might help. Something that hasn't sat it my garage between rides but more importantly has adjustable reach to accommodate her smaller hands. I sort of like the idea of a triple (Tiagra?) but so many gear choices seems to be part of her confusion on the bike. Which brings me to Apex (don't boo!!!) or ever 1X.
So, with all of that said, does the Paceline community have any input? I really enjoy riding together with her and want to make it as easy and positive experience as it can be. She seems to like riding aside from the technical difficulties that she sometimes has. Any experience with either the new Tiagra or Apex to share?
Thanks!
Henry

sjbraun
09-26-2016, 09:54 PM
My wife has small hands and finds Campy to her liking.

pdmtong
09-26-2016, 10:09 PM
The only real solution for small hands (and less finger strength) is electric.

One cannot look at this on a purely economic sense. If you buy electric all the issues go away. What would you pay for your wife to have a nice experience?

The lower Shimano groups require lever throw that small hands can't handle.

pdmtong
09-26-2016, 10:26 PM
Ok so let's be more practical with your money. The issue is the FD. Say goodbye
1x11

If those ergonomics don't work then
Flat bar conversion

vqdriver
09-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Ok so let's be more practical with your money. The issue is the FD. Say goodbye
1x11

If those ergonomics don't work then
Flat bar conversion

This.
In fact, if the front and rear gearing are not the only issue and she is having difficulty physically actuating the shifters, then just go flatbar and dont look back. There is virtually no sacrifice in this situation.

Plus, its far cheaper :hello:

pdmtong
09-26-2016, 10:59 PM
This.

In fact, if the front and rear gearing are not the only issue and she is having difficulty physically actuating the shifters, then just go flatbar and dont look back. There is virtually no sacrifice in this situation.

Taking if one step further consider 1x11 gripshift.

My wife's thumb curves back. When I hold my "thumbs up" its straight. Hers curves. It means on flat bar she cannot push the thumb shifters as easily without articulating her wrist since effectively the curve shortens her thumb throw. So XO shifter to rotate the levers closer on her mtb and gripshift on her commuter

kitsnob
09-26-2016, 11:30 PM
one word: TANDEM :D

bjf
09-26-2016, 11:42 PM
This.

I agree with these. I'm female with larger hands, but I still find the Shimano front brifters a bit of a hassle (even Ultegra). Either 1x or flat bar with grip shift, I'd say.

zank
09-27-2016, 03:55 AM
1x Di2. 44 tooth Wolftooth ring up front, SRAM 11/36 11 speed in back, Ultegra ST-6870 Di2 right lever, Alfine BL-S705-L left brake lever, and the forthcoming Deore XT RD-M8050 Di2 rear derailleur. Mouse click shifts = happy wife. I've been running the 44 x 11/36 on the road all summer. It's fantastic. If you want something a little more conventional, a standard 2x Ultegra Di2 kit would fit the bill beautifully.

GParkes
09-27-2016, 05:41 AM
I have found for my mildly cycling involved other half, as well as my son when he was younger, that the SRAM single paddle shifting was much easier for them to operate. Also, the reach is much easier to adjust on SRAM units. Plenty of SRAM haters out there, but there have been six groups running in my house without any problems.

macaroon
09-27-2016, 05:54 AM
Agree on the Sram; much more suited to smaller hands than Shimano IMO

AngryScientist
09-27-2016, 06:35 AM
the real question is: does she honestly want to ride? cycling is not for everyone, and sometimes we get significant others caught up in the excitement we have for bikes and riding and they try and muster up some enthusiasm to join the fun.

i get that having a bike that fits well in all respects fosters a good "relationship" with cycling, but it's worth asking the broader question before doing a big upgrade.

that said, i know numerous ladies of smaller build who have made it clear that di2 has been a real game changer in terms of ergonomics for those with weak hands or shorter fingers, etc. I think that's fantastic and the way to go to really get someone in her position comfortable using a road geared bikes full potential.

good luck!

oldpotatoe
09-27-2016, 07:22 AM
1x Di2. 44 tooth Wolftooth ring up front, SRAM 11/36 11 speed in back, Ultegra ST-6870 Di2 right lever, Alfine BL-S705-L left brake lever, and the forthcoming Deore XT RD-M8050 Di2 rear derailleur. Mouse click shifts = happy wife. I've been running the 44 x 11/36 on the road all summer. It's fantastic. If you want something a little more conventional, a standard 2x Ultegra Di2 kit would fit the bill beautifully.

I would agree. 1by, appropriate gearing for her riding. Di2 or EPS, used not expensive...

rwsaunders
09-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Does she want to be a roadie or a path rider? I ask as my wife just won't ride on the road and she'd ride paths on occasion. Then I took her to a shop, she spotted what I call a "baguette fetcher" bike...fenders, dropped downtube, upright bars, front basket...and she's now a path riding fiend. I would not have selected that bike, but apparently, what do I know?

The bike is pretty simple from an equipment perspective...8-speed internal hub...and the bars are upright with twist shifters and a bell of course. I also placed a drop-in bike rack on the van and now she's doesn't need me to hold her back from riding if I'm not around and one of her friends wants to hit the paths.

If your wife is a roadie, that's another story and nothing says I love you like electronic shifting. Go for it.

tv_vt
09-27-2016, 08:34 AM
If going electric, what about the wiring? Would you need to drill holes, or could you get by with external wiring?

The wiring issue (need to drill holes or having them taped on externally) is what steered me away from Di2 when considering options for upgrading my wife's components on her Serotta ti frame.

gemship
09-27-2016, 08:46 AM
If going electric, what about the wiring? Would you need to drill holes, or could you get by with external wiring?

The wiring issue (need to drill holes or having them taped on externally) is what steered me away from Di2 when considering options for upgrading my wife's components on her Serotta ti frame.

I don't know I tried a Di2 bike and it's ok I guess but you still have to pedal the bike to engage gears...If you don't want to be drilling holes then don't bother. Also taping wires looks like sheet and a pain to clean the bike with. I would go for the 11 speed 105, save some money and really just value a proper set up of the group. If you can't do it then take the savings and pay a pro to do it.

oldpotatoe
09-27-2016, 08:59 AM

Yes, ideally internal but not hard nor really way obtrusive to wire outside.

kitsnob
09-27-2016, 09:17 AM
Now you could upgrade the Serrota to ETap ... NO wires, NO drilling

oldpotatoe
09-27-2016, 09:25 AM
Now you could upgrade the Serrota to ETap ... NO wires, NO drilling

Pretty big $ tho.

marsh
09-27-2016, 09:27 AM
If she likes her positioning, get her barcons. If not, flat bar conversion.
My wife started on a hybrid, then a Dolce that she never really got comfy on.
Now she's on a 650b flat bar conversion, a lot more nimble than the hybrid and way more fun to ride than the road bike.

oldpotatoe
09-27-2016, 09:44 AM
If she likes her positioning, get her barcons. If not, flat bar conversion.
My wife started on a hybrid, then a Dolce that she never really got comfy on.
Now she's on a 650b flat bar conversion, a lot more nimble than the hybrid and way more fun to ride than the road bike.

Because of length of ERGO levers, I have EPS bar ends..can do a single EPS barend...

zennmotion
09-27-2016, 10:13 AM
With all of this (similar thead across the hall as well apparently), I'm going to point out the obvious fix, the one that worked for me in the exact same situation with an essentially non-rider partner. Two words.

Tandem.

Now we're both happy and bike adventures are many, and we both get to the top of each hill at the same time. We often cook the "competition" in group rides, And tandems are awesome on gravel roads so, bonus. Definitely worth the investment for both of us to get the ride experience that we want, no compromise on distance and terrain for me, she's no longer a bike widow, and occasionally roadside chardonnay and a picnic lunch makes for a great afternoon.

henrypretz
09-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Wow, thanks for all of the great input!

We do have a tandem, but she really likes the fit and ride of the Dolce.
I don't think she will ever be a roadie, but as I mentioned she likes the Dolce aside from the drivetrain.
I have an old Dura Ace 9 speed bar end in my box. Will try that first and see how it goes.
As tempted as I am to try electronic, in the interest of cost control I'll try some intermediate fixes.
I appreciate the wonderful attitude from everyone. Rather than being critical you've given useful input. You guys and gals are great.

Thanks so much
Henry (and Mary)

kitsnob
09-28-2016, 12:10 AM
With all of this (similar thead across the hall as well apparently), I'm going to point out the obvious fix, the one that worked for me in the exact same situation with an essentially non-rider partner. Two words.

Tandem.

Now we're both happy and bike adventures are many, and we both get to the top of each hill at the same time. We often cook the "competition" in group rides, And tandems are awesome on gravel roads so, bonus. Definitely worth the investment for both of us to get the ride experience that we want, no compromise on distance and terrain for me, she's no longer a bike widow, and occasionally roadside chardonnay and a picnic lunch makes for a great afternoon.

That's what I recommended about 6 posts back!

soulspinner
09-28-2016, 08:31 AM
I don't know I tried a Di2 bike and it's ok I guess but you still have to pedal the bike to engage gears...If you don't want to be drilling holes then don't bother. Also taping wires looks like sheet and a pain to clean the bike with. I would go for the 11 speed 105, save some money and really just value a proper set up of the group. If you can't do it then take the savings and pay a pro to do it.

Agree with this.....

jh_on_the_cape
09-28-2016, 08:45 AM
go to a bike shop and have her fondle/demo different setups. she should decide.

My wife loves her 2x10 speed 105 group.