PDA

View Full Version : Campy and shimano mixes???

Dave B
07-16-2006, 09:06 AM
I currently ride DA 10 and want to swithc to a compact crankset. I know shimano, fsa, truvative, etc. offer an option, but I just really dig the way campy cranks look.

How well would a campy compact crankset mate up with shimano drive train. Any problems with chain or front derailure that anyone knows or maybe has tried.

I have ridden campy before and loved everything except for the way the hoods felt in my hands. So seeing how I ride 90% on the hoods it was a big deal for me.

I pre-apologize for all of you purists out there who would never even breathe the words combining the two! :)

If anyone has had any success with this please let me know. :beer:

dbrk
07-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Works fine.

I never, ever use an entirely dedicated group. 'Something about corporate insistence on their proprietary claims makes me resist.

friction is still better,
dbrk

CalfeeFly
07-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I asked my shop about that mix and they felt it would never perform as well as a pure Shimano or Campy group. They could get it to work and well but not to the highest level. I guess it depends on how a lack of total precision bugs you. As dbrk it will work fine but not beyond that.

Serotta PETE
07-16-2006, 11:07 AM
as Douglas says,,,,It will work fine.

Go with what you like, I have an FSA compact with Shimano and it works fine.

Mike at CYCLESPORT recommended and installed - -now has 5K miles.

Yeah, I advertised again but then he also likes red wine even more than I do.

PETE

Marcusaurelius
07-16-2006, 12:08 PM
I currently ride DA 10 and want to swithc to a compact crankset. I know shimano, fsa, truvative, etc. offer an option, but I just really dig the way campy cranks look.

How well would a campy compact crankset mate up with shimano drive train. Any problems with chain or front derailure that anyone knows or maybe has tried.

I have ridden campy before and loved everything except for the way the hoods felt in my hands. So seeing how I ride 90% on the hoods it was a big deal for me.

I pre-apologize for all of you purists out there who would never even breathe the words combining the two! :)

If anyone has had any success with this please let me know. :beer:

As an astute bike mechanic once said to me, " a crank is a crank". I've been using shimano cranks with campagnolo parts for several years and it works fine. I've also used bontrager and FSA. I've never noticed any difference between my present dura ace crank and my record crank except I like the dura much more.

The Spider
07-17-2006, 03:39 AM
I've mix and matched 3 bikes and my training buddy has Campy levers, RD and shimano cassette, chain, compact crank and FD. Works great.

it all started when...

I had a pure 10 speed Ultegra groupset and dropped a Record FD into the mix....it worked BETTER than the Ultegra model. Take that to the bank!

Orin
07-17-2006, 12:03 PM
As an astute bike mechanic once said to me, " a crank is a crank". I've been using shimano cranks with campagnolo parts for several years and it works fine. I've also used bontrager and FSA. I've never noticed any difference between my present dura ace crank and my record crank except I like the dura much more.

I found a Campy CT front derailleur didn't work well with an FSA compact crankset... I couldn't stop it rubbing! (One click in, chain rubbed on the outside of the cage, one click out, chain rubbed on the inside of the cage.) A non-CT Campy front derailleur worked fine however. I switched to a Centaur CT crank and life is much better, but still needs the front derailleur trimming fairly often.

Orin.

BoulderGeek
07-17-2006, 12:14 PM
I found a Campy CT front derailleur didn't work well with an FSA compact crankset... I couldn't stop it rubbing! (One click in, chain rubbed on the outside of the cage, one click out, chain rubbed on the inside of the cage.) A Campy front derailleur worked fine however. I switched to a Centaur CT crank and life is much better, but still needs the front derailleur trimming fairly often.

Orin.

I'm running an FSA SLK compact crank and Campy Chorus front der. No issues at all.

I prefer Shimano hoods, as well. But, I like the actuation of Campy's shifter, plus the sleeker routing of cables. And, of course more carbon == better. Rebuildable == better.