PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sierra OS

1happygirl
09-26-2016, 01:09 AM
All more knowing PL'ers. Has anyone upgraded to Sierra yet that runs Mac stuff?

If not, is your browser and stuff under El Capitan not working properly?

I don't wanna upgrade to Sierra and trash the system.I also don't wanna upgrade without backup (clone) before and would rather skip if I can to save time if Sierra just installs smoothly .

Thanks as always for your suggestions and input.

dgauthier
09-26-2016, 02:33 AM
I have a friend who works at Apple who tells me the team working on OS X (or MacOS, or whatever) is very, very small compared to the hordes of programmers working on iOS. This in part explains why OS X is getting progressively more buggy and glitchy with each release. So definitely, absolutely back up your computer before upgrading, as the days of "it just works" are gone, at least on the Mac desktop.

My question to you is: what's the hurry? My advice is to chill and wait a few months, scan the tech sites on the web for news of problems with Sierra, and upgrade once the inevitable reports of problems subside.

Mackers
09-26-2016, 02:41 AM
My Macbook Pro updated without a hitch, but one or two programs appear to have been reset to default settings.

1happygirl
09-26-2016, 08:00 AM
I have a friend who works at Apple who tells me the team working on OS X (or MacOS, or whatever) is very, very small compared to the hordes of programmers working on iOS. This in part explains why OS X is getting progressively more buggy and glitchy with each release. So definitely, absolutely back up your computer before upgrading, as the days of "it just works" are gone, at least on the Mac desktop.

My question to you is: what's the hurry? My advice is to chill and wait a few months, scan the tech sites on the web for news of problems with Sierra, and upgrade once the inevitable reports of problems subside.

Thanks dg! Just what I was looking for. I'll take your advice (that will surprise my parents lol)
I was just trying to save myself a little extra effort and minutes etc
and that's what I was afraid of, resets or non OS software doesn't work (or resets thanks Mackers)
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Gsinill
09-26-2016, 08:30 AM
I work for a big IT company and we have a lot of proprietary stuff that we need to run on our Macs.
This is the first time that our IT department allowed us to upgrade OS X the day Sierra was released by Apple.
As a matter of fact, we were highly encouraged to upgrade day 1.
Should speak for the confidence our lab folks have in it.

For me so far zero issues...

(FYI: iOS is a different story: IT will not support it until sometime mid October)

As to backups, yes, that should be standard procedure, especially nowadays with external hard drives being so cheap.
On top of it, the restore process is really easy on a Mac, so nothing should prevent anybody from doing backups.

(Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner are your friends)

Cheers,
GSinILL who is plugging in his external HDD for the daily backup

oldpotatoe
09-26-2016, 08:32 AM
My Macbook Pro updated without a hitch, but one or two programs appear to have been reset to default settings.

Upgraded 2 iPads, 5 iphones(wife, sons, son's wife), macmini, laptop...all W/o issue...have a second gen iPad(traveling iPad, on right now, in WI, iOS 5.1...no more upgrade for YOU!)....

Bostic
09-26-2016, 09:57 AM
I have not upgraded my system (13" MBP Retina Late 2013 with 16 gigs memory) to Sierra yet and I support Mac end-users for a living. We manage the Mac systems with the Casper Suite from Jamf. Some machines have had no issues but others have been seriously hosed up that needed to be restored from backup. A lot of internal use systems also are not totally happy with Sierra.

It is a shame that Apple has been for some time now a company where marketing is the stronghold as evidenced by the state of each OS X release. I guess I need to say MacOS now.

Anarchist
09-26-2016, 10:50 AM
All of the machines in my family updated to Sierra the day it came out and there have been no issues.

iOS 10 - we updated everyone's phones and iPads as well. No issues.

Apple Watch - updated my watch to OS3 - no issues.

Don49
09-26-2016, 11:09 AM
My advice is to chill and wait a few months, scan the tech sites on the web for news of problems with Sierra, and upgrade once the inevitable reports of problems subside.Good advice.

It's usually existing mac apps that will have problems following an OS upgrade. Fujitsu has already announced that their ScanSnap software isn't fully compatible with Sierra. http://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/topics/topics20160914.html

This site has a list of what apps are know to work with Sierra and which ones have problems. https://roaringapps.com/apps?platform=osx

From past experience I'm going to wait awhile before moving to Sierra, at least until my essentials apps are proven to work with Sierra.