View Full Version : Need help: busted Lezyne pump

azrider
09-25-2016, 09:18 PM
No clue where to start with this. Any pump experts out there? [emoji16]

https://vimeo.com/184270122

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk2ck
09-25-2016, 09:57 PM
I've had a similar problem. If I remember correctly, you can take needle nose pliers and undo the ring at the top of the pump. You'll see two o-rings. I swapped the order of those two o-rings and that seemed to fix the problem...

azrider
09-25-2016, 10:30 PM
I've had a similar problem. If I remember correctly, you can take needle nose pliers and undo the ring at the top of the pump. You'll see two o-rings. I swapped the order of those two o-rings and that seemed to fix the problem...

Dude thanks. I didn't want to try and start self diagnosing only to have springs, and rings, and whatnot flying all over the place.

Will try this (and call Lezyne CS in morning)

AZ

pdmtong
09-25-2016, 10:34 PM

^this

Same issue with mine. I use a park spanner instead of needle nose
to remove the top.

azrider
09-25-2016, 10:38 PM
If this is somewhat common "thing" then why doesn't OEM fix it I wonder.....rhetorical question

eric01
09-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Contact lezyne directly. Absolutely superb customer service. I had a broken gauge and they sent me a new one.

charliedid
09-26-2016, 08:16 AM
Others have it but you may need to replace one or if it has two, two o rings. That piston should be lightly greased as well.

azrider
09-26-2016, 09:08 AM
Well I'll be darn.....dk's trick worked. Although it's now pushing air the volume seems to have decreased so I'll see what Lezyne says .

Yeah Charlie it was a slippery mess in there

Good to hear Eric. Hopefully I'll have my own good cust success story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cp43
09-26-2016, 10:59 AM
The o-ring refresh kit from lezyne is very reasonably priced:

http://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-acc-hporingkit.php#.V-lFfsnzmao

Also on that page, are how to videos for installing the new o-rings.

Shipping direct from Lezyne is expensive though. I grabbed a couple of sets of the o-ring kit from Amazon when I needed to refresh my pumps.

Chris

azrider
09-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Reason #57 I love this place.

Thanks for quick responses/help gents. Hope you all have a great week.

:hello:

Clancy
09-26-2016, 05:01 PM
This seems to be a very common problem with these pumps. Mine gave up within a year as did a friends. We both bought JoeBlow's on sale and both are going strong after a couple of years at much less money.

Are Lezyne's designed to be re-built? Like yearly?

zmudshark
09-26-2016, 05:13 PM
Doug, I have a couple of Joe Blow's from REI garage sales and they have sat unused all Summer in PHX in my garage. They always work, and are inexpensive and accurate.

I don't understand the pump fetish. Will you give me $100 for an old Silca that has been relegated to garage art? I have one in PHX.

I also found that the Harbor Freight air gauge reads the same as the SKS.

sales guy
09-26-2016, 06:40 PM
To the OP-

I used to work for Lezyne. The issue you have is common. It is the main piston o-ring. It is just worn out. They actually get kind of square in shape, not round anymore.

There are 3 of the same sized o-rings in the pump.

1 at the bottom-a bottom out bumper
1 at the top-a top out bumper
1 on the piston.

All three are the exact same.

You can literally swap out either of the top or bottom bumper ones with the main piston seal. And then replace the one you used with the dead one. It won't hurt it being used as a bumper. It's just to stop the piston from hurting the top cap or the base plate.

Something you need to do is clean the inside of the barrel and piston main seal. Once cleaned, use new grease and you're all set. Park or Finish Line grease is fine. We used Park.

If you ever need seals or small parts, I have them but Lezyne will send out small parts as well. Ask for Zak. He is the head of warranty. Super nice guy. Very overworked, but he always takes care of people.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to answer them.

572cv
09-27-2016, 01:43 AM
Lezeyne does have great CS. I wrote them to ask what to do about the same general issue on my floor pump, and they just sent me the parts and told me what to do. I was impressed!

azrider
09-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Doug, I have a couple of Joe Blow's from REI garage sales and they have sat unused all Summer in PHX in my garage. They always work, and are inexpensive and accurate.

I don't understand the pump fetish. Will you give me $100 for an old Silca that has been relegated to garage art? I have one in PHX.

I also found that the Harbor Freight air gauge reads the same as the SKS.

Thanks John. No pump fetish here :eek:, just want something that works. The red pump in the vid is a $14 "S" pump that has lasted me 8 years. Unfortunately, the head of that pump has been blowing off the valve stem after the 80 psi mark so I've been having to hold the chuck with one hand and pump with another......wife walked into the garage the other night while I was attempting this and just started laughing at me and walked back in the house......jerk.....

To the OP-

I used to work for Lezyne. The issue you have is common. It is the main piston o-ring. It is just worn out. They actually get kind of square in shape, not round anymore

Odd so many are having this same issue. I wonder if they'll address the issue in future releases.

Lezeyne does have great CS. I wrote them to ask what to do about the same general issue on my floor pump, and they just sent me the parts and told me what to do. I was impressed!

I called and left a VM (during working hours) and haven't heard back yet.

sales guy
09-27-2016, 06:11 PM
its not a flaw. It's just heat and friction causing them to degrade. Personally, I have 3 of them and have many many friends with them and have never had a single issue with any of them.

Now, I will say, if you maintain a pump seal it won't degrade or degrade as fast.

But it's not something they will address as they and I don't see it as a flaw or issue. Every pump with the exception of a Silca, they all do it.

fogrider
09-27-2016, 10:02 PM
its not a flaw. It's just heat and friction causing them to degrade. Personally, I have 3 of them and have many many friends with them and have never had a single issue with any of them.

Now, I will say, if you maintain a pump seal it won't degrade or degrade as fast.

But it's not something they will address as they and I don't see it as a flaw or issue. Every pump with the exception of a Silca, they all do it.

The silca also wears out, but it's a leather plunger and not an o ring. it does last longer, but still needs to be replaced eventually.

msl819
09-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Contact lezyne directly. Absolutely superb customer service. I had a broken gauge and they sent me a new one.

Same here... easy to deal with.

sales guy
09-28-2016, 05:19 PM
The silca also wears out, but it's a leather plunger and not an o ring. it does last longer, but still needs to be replaced eventually.

I agree. The Silca leather doesn't wear out the same as a rubber o-ring. But every pump needs maintained. My comparison to the Silca was that every other pump out there with the exception os Silca uses a rubber o-ring that wears out.