PDA

View Full Version : Is this why I'm so effin fat?

shinomaster
07-16-2006, 12:01 AM
I thought tenderloin was low fat? Is it the carrots?

goonster
07-16-2006, 12:29 AM
How the @#$* can you eat that . . .

. . . with so little butter? :crap:

toaster
07-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Allow me to take one small step onto my soapbox:

This culture is sick! We've made meat the top of the food chain when livestock eat 90% of the soy grown, 80% of the corn, 70% of the grain and contribute 15-20% of the world's methane pollution which is the worst greenhouse gas contributing to global warming. Not to mention livestock waste or manure which amounts to something like 5 tons per person.

If the vegetation and land used in meat production was used to grow food then 800 million more people could be fed. The biofuels now being utilized as alternative energy sources would be cheaper and used more often to reduce reliance on fossil fuels.

I love meat, but eat it only a couple times a week. The average american who eats it daily and prominently in meals typically doesn't have the mindset to kill and butcher any animal, bird or fish for him or herself and yet will buy a sanitized version of the kill. If they had to kill it and deal with the viscera, fur or feathers then they eat it a lot less.

The mass production of meat is ridiculously out of balance with nature. Early man killed an animal and ate little while other scavanger animals and various bugs ate the rest. Or, the kill was shared in a social arrangement with other members of the tribe.

Stepping off soapbox now.

jwprolo
07-16-2006, 12:59 AM
I belive the saying goes:

Now that aint kosher...

shaq-d
07-16-2006, 01:27 AM
trust me when i say the culprit to fat on that plate is not the tenderloin, nor the carrots. that leaves one thing...

bcm119
07-16-2006, 02:02 AM
Allow me to step onto my soapbox.

<burp>

Stepping off my soapbox now.

shinomaster
07-16-2006, 02:52 AM
Ok...truth be told...I eat very little beef. If I do it usually is "Oregon Natural Beef" if there is such a thing, and when I do, I go all out and grill up some medum rare Delmonico steaks, or fillet. Even better than imported Irish butter is the Bordelais sauce that my dad made with home-made beef stock, reduced with shallots and red wine. The French sure know how to slather beef with brown sauce.
Next to the Chateaubriand and baby lamb chops in my freezer is a stash of Gardenburgers, in all of their bland, soy glory. I would much rather eat one of these than a dry tasteless lump of blah from the Golden Arches.

woolly
07-16-2006, 07:47 AM
trust me when i say the culprit to fat on that plate is not the tenderloin, nor the carrots. that leaves one thing...

From the 90's movie Men At Work, "There are several sacred things in this world that you don't *ever* mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries." :D

That's a nice lookin' chunk of moo cow, though. Just don't overcook it next time.

Ginger
07-16-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm not saying that you are wrong in so many ways toaster, you just need to shore up some holes in those mass-marketed vegetarian arguments.

Mighty tasty looking dinner Johnny boy! Are you in Elmira these days? (Ah, I reread your explanation...got tripped up by the reference to Dad...)

And the explanation for why you're so eff'n fat IS in the picture. You're eating that lovely dinner in front of your freak'n computer - you're a Mouse Potato!

djg
07-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Lotsa sugar in carrots.

Interesting post from the toaster fella--substitute "adultery," with suitable adjustments, to produce a soapbox rant about society going to he-l in a handbasket because of rampant adultery, which the ranter commits only a couple of times a week. Moderation in all things, I guess.

Ginger
07-16-2006, 09:04 AM
?

Yeah...I guess I can see your point.

I edited the % line to that effect and I can't post it due to the decency filters. (Mine...not Serottas...)

alancw3
07-16-2006, 09:41 AM
i have been eating boca burgers for years and absolutely love them. great on the grill or microwavwe. in fact if i don't tell people they are eating a soy burger they don't even know. boca also has crumbles which are great for making chili or pasta sauce. i find the "original" variety to taste the most like beef although i do enjoy the other varieties also.

catulle
07-16-2006, 09:48 AM
¨
Oh, yes. Butter, french fries, carrots (lotsa sugar), pan fried stuff, salt, corn fed cow. All good stuff, though. It'd be a sin if you didn't finish that up with a brownie and vanilla ice-cream, atmo. Enjoy and God bless.

PanTerra
07-16-2006, 10:48 AM
How about mahi mahi and grilled veggies?
http://panterragroup.home.mindspring.com/misc/P1010005.jpg

CarbonCycles
07-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Mmhmm good idea on the grill out, but the idea that disturbes me about your picture is not that large grade-a slab of meat...rather it's the sight of you eating at your computer desk and taking pictures?!? :D

PanTerra
07-16-2006, 11:19 AM
THis was taken on one of our mtb camping trips to Lake Ray ROberts in north Texas.

gone
07-16-2006, 11:33 AM
The average american who eats it daily and prominently in meals typically doesn't have the mindset to kill and butcher any animal, bird or fish for him or herself and yet will buy a sanitized version of the kill. If they had to kill it and deal with the viscera, fur or feathers then they eat it a lot less.

Yes, but I love knowing that a helpless animal has suffered and died so that I can eat. :cool:

inGobwetrust
07-16-2006, 11:40 AM

This culture is sick! We've made meat the top of the food chain when livestock eat 90% of the soy grown, 80% of the corn, 70% of the grain and contribute 15-20% of the world's methane pollution which is the worst greenhouse gas contributing to global warming. Not to mention livestock waste or manure which amounts to something like 5 tons per person.

If the vegetation and land used in meat production was used to grow food then 800 million more people could be fed. The biofuels now being utilized as alternative energy sources would be cheaper and used more often to reduce reliance on fossil fuels.

I love meat, but eat it only a couple times a week. The average american who eats it daily and prominently in meals typically doesn't have the mindset to kill and butcher any animal, bird or fish for him or herself and yet will buy a sanitized version of the kill. If they had to kill it and deal with the viscera, fur or feathers then they eat it a lot less.

The mass production of meat is ridiculously out of balance with nature. Early man killed an animal and ate little while other scavanger animals and various bugs ate the rest. Or, the kill was shared in a social arrangement with other members of the tribe.

Now on to my soap box:

I am a hunter and eat plenty of the meat (all, in fact) tha I harvest. Seeing the viscera, et al, does not bother me one bit. I also eat plenty of meat (and fish, which is also meat) purchased from markets, this is the modern world after all and it's not practical to attempt to only eat self harvested food. Yes, we could produce enough food to feed much more of the world but could we get it to the starving people in most of those countries without the local warlords stealing all of it? Hasn't worked so far..............

"Early man killed an animal and ate little while other scavanger animals and various bugs ate the rest."

How the Hell do you know that? It's amazing that we think we know so much about the eating habits of humans thousands of years ago. I don't know but I seriously doubt that a group of primitive hunters wouldn't use every bit of a kill that they had to work so hard to get and weren't sure when the next one would be. They would guard it ferociously with the same weapons they used to make the kill. Remember, our brains got bigger when protein and MEAT was added to our diets........

Mmmmm, that picture makes me damn hungry!

Lifelover
07-16-2006, 11:46 AM
That is one fine looking plate of food! I'd consider killing one of my dogs if I thought he would taste as good as that :D

obtuse
07-16-2006, 11:49 AM
toaster-

you're wrong. there is no shortage of food in this world. people starve because of bad distribution and bad government and bad policies. eat whatever the heck you want; but has anyone ever noticed that you never meet italian or french or belgian or spanish vegitarians? inevitably people who "covert" to vegitarianism are from cultures which have horrible diets and eat to live rather than living to eat.

of course; cultures from south east asia and india which are vegitarian historically have wonderful food and diets.

obtuse

Dekonick
07-16-2006, 11:57 AM

So what do you feed a child who is allergic to soy, eggs, and peanuts? (therefore probably alot of other nuts)

Ginger
07-16-2006, 12:40 PM
"Early man killed an animal and ate little while other scavanger animals and various bugs ate the rest."

It's amazing that we think we know so much about the eating habits of humans thousands of years ago.

Aw c'mon...I was trying to be nice to toaster on that one...I didn't ask exactly *how* early he meant...

Actually, thanks to all those people who like to dig around the dirt while we don't really know much, we do know quite a bit about early man...and they did use just about all of anything they killed. From skin, to tendons, to guts...it all had a use. And no, they didn't have refrigeration but there *are* other methods of preserving meats and fish that don't come to mind to most people today. Just because they didn't have a fridge doesn't mean they let it sit and rot on the ground.

Heck, even today when a cow enters today's modern, corporate mass processing facility very little isn't used. Those people are in business to make money and McBurgers are only one venue.

And the child allergic to soy and peanuts may not be allergic to tree nuts at all...both soy and peanuts are legumes.

Avispa
07-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Shino,

The reason the food ain't healthy is because you just swallow it.... Man, get that computer away from your plate and enjoy your food!

We are not going away! Eat (that is chew your food and enjoy it), disgest it, and come back to the forum!!!! ;) ;)

jeh
07-16-2006, 02:16 PM

tenderloins aren't nearly that large. that looks more like a sirloin.

looks tasty anyways.

:)

-j

William
07-16-2006, 02:18 PM
No no no no... :crap: To pink. Get that puppy well done!!!

William

shinomaster
07-16-2006, 02:27 PM
tenderloins aren't nearly that large. that looks more like a sirloin.

looks tasty anyways.

:)

-j

No it's a small plate. It was a quite tender tenderloin. Fillet would be much smaller coming from the tip of the loin.
The center of it was more rare than the photo. Sorry to gross everybody out with my new camera experiments. William a tenderloin is too low in fat to over cook. A rib steak has enough fat that you could burn it and it would still be good.

obtuse
07-16-2006, 02:35 PM
nice meal. but i must ask what's up with the flag of the democratic people's republic of korea on your keyboard? do you follow the benevolent wisdom of the dear leader and the juche theory of social harmony?

obtuse

shinomaster
07-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Oooops...I thought it was the Texas flag. I'll change it out right away!

manet
07-16-2006, 03:13 PM
go team!

Ginger
07-16-2006, 03:52 PM
The center of it was more rare than the photo.
As it should be*. I wanna hear the echo of the moo.

Hamburger I cook all the way through...I don't know where the meat came from, but I know how it got to be hamburger. No way no how is anyone in a supermarket as particular about cleaning their grinders as myself.

manet
07-16-2006, 04:19 PM
No way, no how is anyone as particular about cleaning their grinder as myself.

good to hear

Dekonick
07-16-2006, 04:33 PM
And the child allergic to soy and peanuts may not be allergic to tree nuts at all...both soy and peanuts are legumes.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know peanuts are legumes!

Thanks!

I still am not going to feed my kid nuts until we get his tests back...Steak IS on the menu!

Good looking plate Shino!

inGobwetrust
07-16-2006, 04:50 PM
As it should be*. I wanna hear the echo of the moo.

Hamburger I cook all the way through...I don't know where the meat came from, but I know how it got to be hamburger. No way no how is anyone in a supermarket as particular about cleaning their grinders as myself.

Ditto on the burger but as for the steak I'll quote Dennis Leary:

"I'll carve off what I want and ride the rest home!"

csm
07-16-2006, 05:20 PM
just knock the horns off, wipe it's a$$ and put it on my plate.

dave thompson
07-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Being the perverted sort that I am, sent sent this pic to my son while he was in boot camp. I got an earfull when he came home. :D

dgauthier
07-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Shino, there's too much protein on your plate. And where's your carbs? Is that little sprinkle of fatty fries supposed to fuel tomorrow's workout? You want your dinner plate to be 20% lean protein, 40% veggies, and 40% carbs/starch. Add an 8 oz. glass of skim milk (I substitute a cup of non-fat yogurt), and a serving of fruit, and yer done.

Fat Robert
07-16-2006, 07:08 PM
you're fat because you're lazy and you stuff your face too much

(tough love bro)

Too Tall
07-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Actually you are not fat. I am a little concerned how you remain convinced that you are less than perfect.

Texas grows some fine rice btw.

davids
07-17-2006, 11:03 AM
toaster-

you're wrong. there is no shortage of food in this world. people starve because of bad distribution and bad government and bad policies. eat whatever the heck you want; but has anyone ever noticed that you never meet italian or french or belgian or spanish vegitarians? inevitably people who "covert" to vegitarianism are from cultures which have horrible diets and eat to live rather than living to eat.

of course; cultures from south east asia and india which are vegitarian historically have wonderful food and diets.

obtuse
obtuse,

You're not. (Obtuse, that is..)

Of course, you didn't address the horrible quality of all the factory-produced, hormone-laced, mass-market meat. Personally, I try not to eat too much meat, and when I do, I try to eat the good stuff. Tastes great.

shinomaster
07-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Ok...I'm not really super fat. I'm just more chubby than I was 5 years ago. My shorts are a little tight, and I need to buy size 31 jeans at the gap instead of 30's. Doof is right. I used to ride a lot more, and eat more and I was younger too..

Ginger
07-17-2006, 01:45 PM
You aren't going to supply before and after pics are you.

manet
07-17-2006, 01:58 PM
You aren't going to supply before and after pics are you.

and if you are... consider posting them on the
"work BBD into a Lather" thread