PDA

View Full Version : 10 speed campagnolo shifter differences

redearedslider5
09-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Do you guys know the differences between the guts of the different levels of 10 speed shifters? I remember the carrier being different materials but anything else?

oldpotatoe
09-25-2016, 05:54 PM
Do you guys know the differences between the guts of the different levels of 10 speed shifters? I remember the carrier being different materials but anything else?

Record 'ultra' had a fiber/resin/Carbon-y spring carrier, the shift disc was drilled out and 'teflon' coated, the central bolt was titanium. All else indentical, 1999-2008, Record and Chorus..1999-2006 Centaur/Athena/ Veloce. 1999 was 9s, but...

redearedslider5
09-25-2016, 06:14 PM
Record 'ultra' had a fiber/resin/Carbon-y spring carrier, the shift disc was drilled out and 'teflon' coated, the central bolt was titanium. All else indentical, 1999-2008, Record and Chorus..1999-2006 Centaur/Athena/ Veloce. 1999 was 9s, but...

Sorry, everything non-record is identical but I'm not sure I get the last sentence there..

oldpotatoe
09-26-2016, 06:11 AM
Sorry, everything non-record is identical but I'm not sure I get the last sentence there..

The insides of the ERGO shifters in 1999 was identical to 2000, the first year of 10s...just a 9s shift disc. 1998, also 9s, innards were slighty different(changed in 1999 for ErgoBrain) and 1997 was older shape, pointy top but also 9s. 1996 last year for 8s.

carpediemracing
09-26-2016, 09:21 AM
I know I chose to buy a new shape Centaur 10s lever set because the rear derailleur only does one upshift (smaller cog) at a time. The new shape Athena, Chorus, and Record levers allowed you to dump a bunch of cogs, and I think the Chorus/Record sets weren't available in 10s.

I prefer one shift at a time so I can push the lever as hard as I want in a sprint and get just one cog movement. I find myself inadvertently shifting 2 or even 3 gears at a time with my old style 10s Record/Chorus levers. Adrenaline ruins fine motor control.

I just checked the old style 10s Centaur and Athena levers that we have here, they both dump multiple gears with the thumb lever.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2016, 09:31 AM
I know I chose to buy a new shape Centaur 10s lever set because the rear derailleur only does one upshift (smaller cog) at a time. The new shape Athena, Chorus, and Record levers allowed you to dump a bunch of cogs, and I think the Chorus/Record sets weren't available in 10s.

I prefer one shift at a time so I can push the lever as hard as I want in a sprint and get just one cog movement. I find myself inadvertently shifting 2 or even 3 gears at a time with my old style 10s Record/Chorus levers. Adrenaline ruins fine motor control.

I just checked the old style 10s Centaur and Athena levers that we have here, they both dump multiple gears with the thumb lever.

2009 was first year of 'Gumby' shifters. SR/Record/Chorus/Athena 11s, Centaur/Veloce 10s... All multi higher gear via thumb button. Ultrashift. 2011 saw Athena and below to Powershift, one higher gear at a time. With minor differences, all UltraShift innards the same. As are PS.

tuscanyswe
09-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Snip*

There are centaur levers in the old shape that does not have the ultrashift function (unfortunetly for me as i have a pair and enjoy the multiple shifts option).

jemoryl
09-26-2016, 03:46 PM

I have both the old style (mid-2000s) 10 speed shifters and some of the last Centaur 10 speed shifters. While with the latter you get one gear drop with the thumb button, it doesn't change until you let up on the button, as opposed to changing on the downstroke. Takes some getting used to. Also, the innards of the new style Centaurs crapped out after only a few thousand miles. Campy warrantied them, but I'm not sure if the replacement mechanism has been improved (I've heard rumors), as I haven't used them yet.

Splash
09-26-2016, 04:06 PM
If anyone has the 2010 right side Centaur Ultra-Shift Body Assembly they can give or sell to me, i would really appreciate it.

I already have the carbon lever.

Splash