PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Decaleur Solution for longer stems/Nitto M12 + Front Bag

ANAO
09-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Looking for a front rack/decaleur that mounts by the canti studs.

Also, looking for a front bag the likes of the Swift Ozette to go with said rack. Should be 10+ liters to allow for commuting duties.

Figure I'll see what y'all aren't using before exploring the new market.

Thanks!

R3awak3n
09-25-2016, 06:56 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triple-Black-Swift-Industries-Ozette-Randonneur-Front-Handlebar-Bag-/191979314601?hash=item2cb2dbdda9:g:hqQAAOSwzaJX5um Q#viTabs_0

swift ozzette on the bay.

also don't think there are any TI front racks. The Nittos are nice though, I would look for one of those. Depending on how much you want to spend you could get a custom (better for the swift because you could get a bigger base for the bag)

ANAO
09-25-2016, 07:23 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triple-Black-Swift-Industries-Ozette-Randonneur-Front-Handlebar-Bag-/191979314601?hash=item2cb2dbdda9:g:hqQAAOSwzaJX5um Q#viTabs_0

swift ozzette on the bay.

also don't think there are any TI front racks. The Nittos are nice though, I would look for one of those. Depending on how much you want to spend you could get a custom (better for the swift because you could get a bigger base for the bag)
Sweet! I'll bid on that. I found an m18 here but not sure its fittings are correct for the BMC Monstercross. Can anybody confirm?

R3awak3n
09-25-2016, 07:37 PM
Not sure what the monstercross has in terms of mounts but from my quick research it seems like it doesn't have any low rider mounts. The M18 would fit though if you use P-Clamps.

Otherwise, you can probably get a rack that mounts on the cantis, that would probably look the cleanest (the the pass hunter that you mentioned for example)

ANAO
09-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Yeah I would love the canti integration. I'll see if anybody else has anything that would fit before going new. I don't even have the frame in hand yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
09-25-2016, 07:58 PM
:) but you know how it goes ahah, I am the same way, want everything to be ready when the frame arrives.

you should also look at a nitto M12

http://www.aebike.com/Nitto-M12-Front-Mount-Bicycle-Rack-Silver_p_21799.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ShoppingFeed&gclid=CjwKEAjw652_BRDfkebVrdOGkDISJAD0Q2RuGA03kHhZ ZjYTuIsxOpFn3Ub9bAt_YF7lQfD9oIYImRoC9J_w_wcB

I will keep an eye out!

ANAO
09-25-2016, 08:00 PM
:) but you know how it goes ahah, I am the same way, want everything to be ready when the frame arrives.

you should also look at a nitto M12

http://www.aebike.com/Nitto-M12-Front-Mount-Bicycle-Rack-Silver_p_21799.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ShoppingFeed&gclid=CjwKEAjw652_BRDfkebVrdOGkDISJAD0Q2RuGA03kHhZ ZjYTuIsxOpFn3Ub9bAt_YF7lQfD9oIYImRoC9J_w_wcB

I will keep an eye out!
Awesome, thanks. Which decaleur would work with that for a longer stem?

R3awak3n
09-25-2016, 08:08 PM
Awesome, thanks. Which decaleur would work with that for a longer stem?

I sometimes wonder if I have ever run tiny (the collective) you in real life (but you in particular), and simply didn't know.

the decaleur going to be tricky, I have run a vo decaleur which is unfortunetely the only "cheap" option out there but its one of those things, might work or might not work (the long stem does not help because might put the bag a bit further from the stem).

Other option would be a berthoud decaleur that works with tons of stems but its $$$. I like this decaleur but doesnt work with all stems.

3rd option is to do something like this - http://theradavist.com/2016/06/my-home-hacked-thomson-and-ortlieb-decaleur-morgan-taylor/#1

not cheap but pretty clever.

Right now I am not running a decaleur and it has been fine but I have one of those mini porteur racks so the bag is smaller than the rack and rests pretty good. I did D2R2 on it and it was totally fine. I will still find one eventually when I want to spend some $$

ANAO
10-02-2016, 07:50 AM
BUMP. Trying to avoid the pricey direct mount stem option. Anybody have thoughts?

keevon
10-02-2016, 08:29 AM
In the Radavist thread, I proposed using two of these instead of the Thomson DM stems:

http://folsombike.com/images/library/large/problem-solvers-clamp-on-water-bottle-cage-182079-1.jpg

Drill out the threaded portion to accept a male eyebolt, then mount a round rail that is compatible with the Ortlieb pannier hardware. Still not exactly cheap, but cheaper than the alternatives.

Haven't done it myself yet, but I'm eyeing a rando bag in the near future.

ColonelJLloyd
10-02-2016, 09:00 AM
BUMP. Trying to avoid the pricey direct mount stem option. Anybody have thoughts?

Plenty of hacks out there. Like really clunky (and expensive) one linked from the Radavist. Pony up for a Berthoud and be done with it. Or compromise.

A VO steerer mounted one can work well if you're able to limit the side to side movement.

icepick_trotsky
10-02-2016, 10:20 AM
The VO steer mount decaleur is a great idea at a great price, but it's waaay to short to be useful. My Berthoud bag is mounted too close to the bars with a 80mm stem.

ColonelJLloyd
10-02-2016, 10:45 AM
The VO steer mount decaleur is a great idea at a great price, but it's waaay to short to be useful. My Berthoud bag is mounted too close to the bars with a 80mm stem.

It's true. You can space it out with barrel spacers and long bolts, but it's a compromise.

ANAO
10-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Is there any solution under $65-70?

R3awak3n
10-02-2016, 10:58 AM
ANAOs bike has a long stem so I highly doubt the VO decaleur will work.

Why hasn't VO come out with a longer decaleur is beyond me (maybe not viable since apparently the short one already cracks and brakes a lot. I did have one for a year and was great though, the price is definitely right on that one).

Bags are becoming so popular that I would not be surprised if VO was already working on a stem mounted decaleur

Edit: Only solution under that price is if you rig something up with ortlieb parts and some ebay/amazon china parts but even then you are probably looking at $40 might as well get the berthoud.

There is a business opportunity for someone here, a black decaleur would be awesome too

ANAO
10-02-2016, 11:00 AM
Direct mount radavist solution appears to be a good fix, if not pricey, labor intensive and riddled with steps for me to fumble.

R3awak3n
10-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Direct mount radavist solution appears to be a good fix, if not pricey, labor intensive and riddled with steps for me to fumble.

yeah those direct mount pieces are more than the berthoud decaleur themselves and so many random parts its not even that good of a solution.

ColonelJLloyd
10-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Is there any solution under $65-70?

Seriously, brother. Just get the right solution (http://store.biketouringnews.com/gilles-berthoud-decaleur/). I've been down this road. There isn't a better solution for the money.

ANAO
10-02-2016, 11:09 AM
yeah those direct mount pieces are more than the berthoud decaleur themselves and so many random parts its not even that good of a solution.
How bad is the idea of riding with just the m12 and the ozette? I still haven't decided if I should order the medium or the large. Leaning towards medium.

R3awak3n
10-02-2016, 11:13 AM
How bad is the idea of riding with just the m12 and the ozette? I still haven't decided if I should order the medium or the large. Leaning towards medium.

Before I had the current rack I have (Haulin Colin rack, so mini porteur, the bag fits completely on it) I had a M1 with a large ozzette.

It was fine without a decaleur but I did strap it on the sides (the ozzette has some side plastic loops so that you can use a shoulder strap) and it worked with with a medium load. I did D2R2 with it and stayed put that way.

I then put a decaleur on it and it was definitely much better not gonna lie but I think the bag is fine without a decaleur and with the side straps with a small to medium load.

ColonelJLloyd
10-02-2016, 11:14 AM

I ride with a medium Ozette and have used a large. Both on a rack that's more or less equivalent to the M12. The Ozette's are pretty secure with the bottom straps and tombstone "sheath". That said, as soon as you put an odd shaped or loose weight in one and take a corner or lean your bike up some where you'll say to yourself, "shoulda got a decaleur".

ANAO
10-02-2016, 11:17 AM
What would I attach the side straps to? Colonel - I have one sweepy/windy descent on my evening commute where I hit 60+ kph.

icepick_trotsky
10-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Have you considered a different rack? VO pass hunter with integrated decaleur would solve your problem.

R3awak3n
10-02-2016, 11:35 AM
What would I attach the side straps to? Colonel - I have one sweepy/windy descent on my evening commute where I hit 60+ kph.

something like this:

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r522/r3awak3n/DSCF2606.jpg

don't get me wrong, decauleur is best but this could work for the time being :)

also the racks with integrated decaleurs would work, some people don't like them though.

ColonelJLloyd
10-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Is that the shoulder strap routed through the outside tubes of the rack? That makes good sense. Has to help.

Hell, if you have or know you're gonna use the rack and the bag then give it a whirl without one and see if you can get by without a decaleur.

R3awak3n
10-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Is that the shoulder strap routed through the outside tubes of the rack? That makes good sense. Has to help.

Hell, if you have or know you're gonna use the rack and the bag then give it a whirl without one and see if you can get by without a decaleur.

exactly. worked pretty good but still bounced a bit side ways and like I said I never fully loaded it.

Its funny I had completely forgotten about it and just found those straps and put them on my elephant and withe the wide rack, thombstone and straps, the bag is not going anywhere.

idrinkwater
10-02-2016, 06:45 PM
not much cheaper, but an incredibly sturdy (and kinda unsightly) choice.
http://store.biketouringnews.com/tanaka-decaleur-for-threadless-stem/

R3awak3n
10-02-2016, 06:47 PM
not much cheaper, but an incredibly sturdy (and kinda unsightly) choice.
http://store.biketouringnews.com/tanaka-decaleur-for-threadless-stem/

its just so heavy. :p

ANAO
10-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Maybe I'll send back the M12 and order the VO Hunters Pass. Swift has them in stock. Should be fine...right?

ColonelJLloyd
10-04-2016, 11:16 PM
Maybe I'll send back the M12 and order the VO Hunters Pass. Swift has them in stock. Should be fine...right?

With the integrated decaleur? It's a pretty good solution if it's in line with the height of your bag, which it should be if you're using an Ozette medium.

ANAO
10-17-2016, 11:33 AM
Edited original post. Anybody holding an ozette?? Thanks!