View Full Version : Jingle Cross Spoilers

Tandem Rider
09-24-2016, 06:05 PM
Wouter. Alone.
Pauwels is second.

Hyde gets 10th

Jad
09-24-2016, 08:59 PM
Great races--Compton looks strong as ever and yeah, how about Hyde finishing top 10 (and seconds from better)!

Van Aert is impressive and almost comically strong. It would be interesting to have van der Poel and van der Haar racing, but still.

It's a bummer that the women raced 37 minutes; I believe the UCI calls for 40-50 (I guess without a mandated minimum?), and it would be great to see them out there for another lap.

shovelhd
09-24-2016, 09:05 PM
Hyde. Noble.

Bruce K
09-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Antonneau came on really strong as the women's race progressed. I don't think anyone was catching KFC yesterday but it would have been fun to see.

I would love to understand why the women's race didn't get the additional lap/time that it appears they should have. I know officials have to make a fairly quick decision and then what's done is done. But this is a World Cup event.....

BK

gavingould
09-25-2016, 01:10 AM
officials have to decide based on first lap time before the leader reaches start/finish again. seems they got it wrong because laps apparently got faster as the race went on. also it was very hot and humid out here, almost every rider I heard said they were glad it was on the shorter side. the course was drying out significantly from last nights slop fest

Bruce K
09-25-2016, 04:34 AM
I get that and as I said, once they decide there is no changing it.

Since the laps aren't usually shown until the second one is complete, I was wondering if they could make a last minute change based on "the leader is coming and it seems much faster than lap 1".

Somehow hot and humid doesn't mesh with the Jingle Cross theme but there was no way you pass up a World Cup to keep the November/December date in place.

BK

Tandem Rider
09-25-2016, 06:12 AM
My job at the wash pit only allows me to sometimes watch the southern end of the race. I get to watch more racing during the World Cup because the people involved know what they are doing. Hopefully the pit crews for the other racers were watching and learning.

I truly felt bad for Katerina Nash, seeing her running down the gravel, into the mud, all the way through the off camber run, and into pit 1. The Women's race had a larger sized "peloton" for much of the race, with more small splits later in the race. Most of the Women were changing bikes every other lap, mostly at pit 2.

Men's race was almost magical to watch. Van Aert put on a clinic. When I saw him come off the gravel and into the mud on the second lap, he was riding at about 7th wheel. With his mouth closed. With a broken toe. By the third lap, zippers were down, snot was dripping, etc but not for Van Aert.

The course was much less sloppy than Friday, and Friday was improved by the time the UCI races went off. There is a decent chance for a thunderstorm around noon today, :eek: let's hope it doesn't happen. Time to go do my little part to make the races happen again. Stop and say hi if you are here.

shovelhd
09-25-2016, 07:43 AM
officials have to decide based on first lap time before the leader reaches start/finish again. seems they got it wrong because laps apparently got faster as the race went on. also it was very hot and humid out here, almost every rider I heard said they were glad it was on the shorter side. the course was drying out significantly from last nights slop fest

We were discussing this at the line at a local CX race yesterday, before this race went off. With crits, especially downtown crits with strict permit time limits, we err on the short side. Late is bad. However with CX, we try to err on the long side. I'll often let two laps go before putting the lap cards up, so we can let the attacking begin. However with WC events, it's my understanding that the elite races must go at least their posted time. I'm not sure why it went short.

Tandem Rider
09-25-2016, 09:48 AM
Looks like the rain will miss us. Still plenty of mud, so don't worry. Course today is same as yesterday's World Cup course. Come on out and race on a top course, see what it's like, see what the top pro's make look easy.

Juniors fields were pretty big, most parents were very encouraging and supportive, good news for the future.

nooneline
09-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Men's race was almost magical to watch. Van Aert put on a clinic. When I saw him come off the gravel and into the mud on the second lap, he was riding at about 7th wheel. With his mouth closed. With a broken toe. By the third lap, zippers were down, snot was dripping, etc but not for Van Aert.

He looked so calm and relaxed for much of the lap - and then went ballistic up the backside climb of Mr Krumpit, lap after lap. After he attacked he opened up 40 seconds in 1.5 laps. It was really an incredible display of calm and strength.

Lovetoclimb
09-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Anyone see what happened to Powers? Saw his name well down the results list and a vague social media update that "things did not go as planned" ...

Tandem Rider
09-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Anyone see what happened to Powers? Saw his name well down the results list and a vague social media update that "things did not go as planned" ...

I dunno why, but he didn't race today, and was a ways back yesterday. It was pretty warm out this weekend for a cx race.

The Belgians put on another clinic today in the men's race, first 4 places with Hyde first American in 5th.

justaute
09-26-2016, 11:13 AM
I heard he had a crash (?) at the Trek race and has yet to fully recover.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

fmbp
09-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Re. Powers (per friends who were on course) - he apparently had a mechanical during the world cup in which he was stuck in his big ring and little cog on the backside (long) climb. Once he was able to get to the top, it was futile. What I saw was that he was further and further back every lap. He was struggling for sure.

shovelhd
09-26-2016, 04:59 PM
I blame SRAM.

I also heard he has a nasty crash two weeks ago with broken ribs. No verification though.

I still blame SRAM.

Lovetoclimb
09-26-2016, 05:22 PM
I blame SRAM.

I also heard he has a nasty crash two weeks ago with broken ribs. No verification though.

I still blame SRAM.

SRAM probably caused the crash!

weisan
09-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Couldn't find any decent length video anywhere...:o

justaute
09-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Couldn't find any decent length video anywhere...:o

Try here.

http://cx.is.srs.biz/wordpress/index.php/2016/09/25/wc-2-jingle-cross/

weisan
09-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Try here.

http://cx.is.srs.biz/wordpress/index.php/2016/09/25/wc-2-jingle-cross/

Just pal! You are a SAINT! Thank you.

Tandem Rider
09-27-2016, 06:22 AM
I blame SRAM.

I still blame SRAM.

Now yer just gettin' personal...

Sram Service Course is a personal friend :fight:

fthefox
09-27-2016, 08:03 AM
As a cross newbie discovering tubulars, any idea what kind of tubular setup the racers were using on the Iowa course? Educate me. Thanks.

F

chiasticon
09-27-2016, 08:15 AM
As a cross newbie discovering tubulars, any idea what kind of tubular setup the racers were using on the Iowa course? Educate me. Thanks.basically, all the Euros run Dugast tubs; and purchase them themselves, by the way. more than likely their choice for the course was either Typhoon (all around tread) or Rhino (mud tread). it's very likely it was Rhino on Saturday and Typhoon on Sunday (possibly with some guys on Rhino still). wheels are whatever their sponsors give them. most of the Euro guys seem to like mid-depth wheels any more; around 35-40mm deep. I've noticed over time though that guys like Vantourenhout and Pauwels seem to prefer the more shallower wheels (~24mm depth).

top American Steven Hyde is on Cannondale/CyclocrossWorld, which rides Challenge tires. his choices in such conditions could vary from Grifo (Challenge's version of Typhoon), to Baby Limus (basically an aggressive all-around tread, in between a Grifo and a mud tread), to Limus (mud tread). I'm thinking maybe he was running Limus on Saturday and Baby Limus on Sunday; just guessing though... I believe his team runs 303 Firecrest Discs for everything.

fthefox
09-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Thank you, much appreciated.

F

fmbp
09-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Here's a video of the women's front row at Jingle - that shows tire selection on Sunday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFG-qEl2u44&index=1&list=PLIHXyJktbqLuy9RsZ_sNzVuTJBM4xH-Ej

Per this link, 1/2 of the women's front row were on Clement MXPs on Sunday:
http://www.cxmagazine.com/katie-compton-trek-boone-2016-world-cups-di2-knight

Katie apparently rode PDXs on Saturday.

chiasticon
09-29-2016, 12:40 PM
Here's a video of the women's front row at Jingle - that shows tire selection on Sunday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFG-qEl2u44&index=1&list=PLIHXyJktbqLuy9RsZ_sNzVuTJBM4xH-Ej

Per this link, 1/2 of the women's front row were on Clement MXPs on Sunday:
http://www.cxmagazine.com/katie-compton-trek-boone-2016-world-cups-di2-knight

Katie apparently rode PDXs on Saturday.I love that they did the full Belgian TV treatment of panning across the line, showing each racer and their tread choice. anyway, looks like I did a decent job of guessing, if most people chose similar to Compton. interestingly, Helen Wyman looks like she may be on a Challenge prototype tire. those don't quite look like Grifos to me, but they're close; and they're not any other Challenge tread.

in that video, Antonneau is the only one on files (Chicanes). she appears to be nervously looking left and right at her competitors' tires thinking...

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/11/I-made-a-huge-mistake-Mistake-The-Mistake-I-have-made-a-mistake-GIF.gif?gs=a

nooneline
09-29-2016, 02:29 PM
in KA's defense, Chicanes are 'file treads' with very aggressive cornering knobs. But i did a bit of a spit-take there, because when the video was playing I assumed it was from the WC race on Saturday, which still had some pretty heavy mud ... I would have assumed Baby Limus was the obvious choice. But Sunday's race, drying out a bunch, yeah, Chicanes make sense. People love those tires.

I couldn't tell what looked off about Wyman's Grifos - what'd you catch?

And, looks like Ellen Noble is on FMBs. I remember Powers making a big deal about switching from Dugast to FMB a few years ago.

justaute
10-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Just pal! You are a SAINT! Thank you.

Just paying it forward. :)

chiasticon
10-03-2016, 11:49 AM
in KA's defense, Chicanes are 'file treads' with very aggressive cornering knobs. But i did a bit of a spit-take there, because when the video was playing I assumed it was from the WC race on Saturday, which still had some pretty heavy mud ... I would have assumed Baby Limus was the obvious choice. But Sunday's race, drying out a bunch, yeah, Chicanes make sense. People love those tires.

I couldn't tell what looked off about Wyman's Grifos - what'd you catch?

And, looks like Ellen Noble is on FMBs. I remember Powers making a big deal about switching from Dugast to FMB a few years ago.you know what, you're right about the Grifos for Wyman. they're a little dusty and it threw me, thinking the tread was different. my bad :no:

yeah I was only surprised about the Chicanes because nobody else was running them. and some of those women are sponsored by Clement who offers the very similar LAS. can't say that the course would be bad for Chicane (I missed the race because I was racing, but did see photos), but wasn't convinced it was perfect either. regardless, it's a way less versatile tread than Grifo/MXP/Slalom (what Noble was running), and if everybody else was on those treads, it is curious when there's an outlier.

nooneline
10-03-2016, 01:41 PM
you know what, you're right about the Grifos for Wyman. they're a little dusty and it threw me, thinking the tread was different. my bad :no:

yeah I was only surprised about the Chicanes because nobody else was running them. and some of those women are sponsored by Clement who offers the very similar LAS. can't say that the course would be bad for Chicane (I missed the race because I was racing, but did see photos), but wasn't convinced it was perfect either. regardless, it's a way less versatile tread than Grifo/MXP/Slalom (what Noble was running), and if everybody else was on those treads, it is curious when there's an outlier.

Yeah.

I wonder if anybody found a tread that was perfect. It's a hard course, and it's almost harder when there's old mud in places. There's so much variable terrain on that course. You definitely want something that's fast on those flat sections down in the fairgrounds, through the barns and everything... but then you need something with excellent cornering grip to handle the off-camber and especially the descent from Krumpit.... and then something with really good biting drive traction for the climb, especially if it's AT ALL wet... i don't know if there's a do-everything tire for that!

chiasticon
10-03-2016, 01:51 PM
I wonder if anybody found a tread that was perfect.well, two people did, at least :p

upon further inspection, it looks like a large number of the men didn't choose the same as Compton. many were on Grifos and Wout ran Typhoons. http://cyclephotos.co.uk/2016/09/25/2016-cyclocross-world-cup-2-iowa-city-photo-gallery/

fmbp
10-03-2016, 02:57 PM
well, two people did, at least :p

upon further inspection, it looks like a large number of the men didn't choose the same as Compton. many were on Grifos and Wout ran Typhoons. http://cyclephotos.co.uk/2016/09/25/2016-cyclocross-world-cup-2-iowa-city-photo-gallery/

Incidentally, I'm pictured in the first photo in this gallery! Green shirt, on the far side of the course, just left of center in the photo, facing backward (I was looking for my dad at the time, pre-podium presentation).