PDA

View Full Version : Riding with the son

velotel
09-24-2016, 07:53 AM
This time back in Colorado. Blue skies, yellow leaves, red roads, hard climbs. The usual, or at least the usual with the son. Rode Flagstaff, then Super Flagstaff, followed by Hyper Flagstaff, then I think he said something about yet one more version of Flagstaff. A ride that went from hard to harder to harder yet. Much of the time on red dirt roads.

Then he went technical, as in a some track that was all about picking lines and concentration, and some ramps of pain. All the time under a deep blue sky and a light that was so bright it made it hard for me to see the road surface. I walked a few short sections. Just couldn’t see well enough to pick the lines and figured prudence was the way to go instead of going for glory.

Finally after something like 1500 vertical meters (5000 ft) of going up, hit Magnolia, turned right, back to the barn. But not all down yet. First some rolling terrain with the ups sometimes painfully steep again, but fun. Then the real fun began. Hit the pavement and the road started the plunge back to Boulder. Supposed to be the steepest climb in the area. I believe it, gravity never lies and this puppy was steep. And the curves sublime. Someone, like my son, who knows that road well can carry some blazing speeds down it. One of the most fun descents I’ve ever done, high speed carvers with gravity constantly pulling. Great fun.

He’d put me on the Vecchio’s demo Moots Routt again, with some Clement semi-fat tires, 32 or so I think, with tiny knobs, rode well, everywhere. The bike was excellent. Not my stoner bike that Kent built for me but that’s the difference between a custom frame and a production frame. Subtleties and nuances that add up to make a difference. The Moots was close to fit and once I’d settled into it, a fine ride that did all I requested, and probably more if I could have asked for more.

Shimano equipped, have a hard time getting used to the shift levers. Can’t believe they didn’t design the system for multiple down shifts though. One click at a time is silly and after awhile thoroughly irritating after all the years using Campy. Must say the rear derailed is sweet working, an Ultegra. The disc brakes, slowed me, stopped me, did what brakes are supposed to do, nothing more one can ask.

Amazingly not once did I feel the altitude, and we were apparently up around 8000 feet. All the riding I’ve been doing in France and Italy at over 2000 meters must have paid off. Guess I’ll find out today though; the plan is to ride some dirt road in Rocky Mountain National Park, ride up to over 12000 ft. That could definitely put me on my knees looking for air to breathe.

Told Mat that living and riding out Boulder is kind of like being based in Bourg d’Oisans, lots of climbs to choose from, and none easy. Quite the place, Boulder.

No pics, I just rode, let him shoot instead.

Tickdoc
09-24-2016, 08:05 AM
Finally a post I can relate to having just come back from Boulder myself. Beautiful town, beautiful mountains, and some nice crisp air.

Enjoy the ride and the time with your son.

AngryScientist
09-24-2016, 08:06 AM
very cool. i sometimes wonder if either of my kids will get interested in road riding. what a great way to spend time together.

thunderworks
09-24-2016, 12:01 PM
very cool. i sometimes wonder if either of my kids will get interested in road riding. what a great way to spend time together.

There's always hope. I owned a bike shop for many years. My son never rode and wasn't at all interested (and was quite young at the time). Years later while in college he became an avid cyclist and we now ride together when we get together - which isn't often since he's in California and I'm in the Midwest. Best week of my life was a few years ago when we rode together in Italy for a week.

Elefantino
09-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Our son turns 34 today. He was a great cyclist as a kid - a boy who could hang with the men - but stopped when he found other passions.

I wish we could be together but he lives in Brooklyn. So I sent him a pair of SockGuy socks for his birthday!