PDA

View Full Version : Look KEO Blade 2 Pedals

Splash
09-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Hello.

Having trouble clipping into these pedals.

They don't seem to sit properly when unclipped waiting at stoppages (traffic lights, etc..).

When i try to clip in, i fumble about trying to hit the spot - meanwhile my rider bunch has left me for dead... :-(

Not interested in using any other pedals like SP, etc. so would appreciate any suggestion to use other pedals is refrained.

It is stated by other users that the KEO Blade 2 pedals are difficult to clip in because they are not weighted and don't default to the nose up position.

Wanting to know what I can do to the pedal to provide improve clip in?

Thoughts?

Splash

beeatnik
09-23-2016, 12:00 PM
Get used to kicking them into position. It's what I do with mine since they're only in the right position about 1/4 of the time. I got tired of slamming the sole or my shin into the pedal so I'm willing to be a half beat slower now.

merckx
09-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Flip and step. You'll get it.

carpediemracing
09-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Trackstand? I say it half jokingly but I bet with about 30 minutes of practice you'd be relatively proficient. Spend some time before your rides doing trackstands and you'll be fluent in less than a month.

I know you said no other pedals but Exustar would involve no cleat adjustment, just pedal swap. For other reasons I went from Keo Max to Exustar. I've been super happy with the Exustar.

I haven't ridden with the Blade2 so I have no suggestions on clipping in on them.

fignon's barber
09-23-2016, 01:03 PM
I've been using Look's since 1989, and have had a pair of the Blade 2 for about a month. Yes, they are the most difficult to get into, but you'll get used to using your free foot to feel for the pedal.
To give yourself a bit more time taking off with a group, use the "thrust and fiddle method". When taking off, use your already clicked-in foot to push off hard, propelling you forward for 10 meters or so, and giving you time to fiddle around for the other pedal. Make sure their is a clear line ahead. I think this maneuver is covered in the Advanced Look operator's manual.
I really think Look's best pedal now is the Keo Max Carbon.

Splash
09-24-2016, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys

Is there any lube points I can lube to make the pedal rotate better when not clipped in?

Splash

Black Dog
09-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys

Is there any lube points I can lube to make the pedal rotate better when not clipped in?

Splash

No. However they will loosen up over time as they break in. Slowly.

Coaster
09-24-2016, 11:10 PM
My only issue with the thrust and fiddle method is that after the thrust my pedal spins and doesn't always end up in the right place. For me, a smooth takeoff and higher gear seems to work most consistently with the Keos.

happycampyer
09-25-2016, 07:22 AM
I think the original Keo Blade was a superior pedal. I had several of the Keo Blade 2s, and only one eventually broke-in; I got rid of the others. I think it's inexcusable for a pedal to take months of use to break-in. I would either see if you can find a pair of the first generation Blades, or switch to Shimano pedals. If I didn't have so many Look pedals, that's what I would do.

eippo1
09-25-2016, 10:03 AM
I'm with happycamper. Never seemed to break in, so went back to my first generation blades. So much happier on those. Have a pair of maxes for when the blades are done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ralph
09-25-2016, 10:52 AM
I have some on one bike.....no particular issues. I do prefer my Keo 11 max ones though on another bike.

Black Dog
09-25-2016, 12:13 PM
I think the original Keo Blade was a superior pedal. I had several of the Keo Blade 2s, and only one eventually broke-in; I got rid of the others. I think it's inexcusable for a pedal to take months of use to break-in. I would either see if you can find a pair of the first generation Blades, or switch to Shimano pedals. If I didn't have so many Look pedals, that's what I would do.

This. I have been a look user for almost 30 years and the Keo's have not been of great quality at all. There is too much slop in the axle and takes forever to get them to spin freely if at all. I will make the switch to shimano one day.

carpediemracing
09-25-2016, 12:47 PM
If I didn't have so many Look pedals, that's what I would do.

This is why I went to Exustar. No set up change on my shoes, my spare cleats (I probably have 10 sets of cleats if not more) will work, etc.

I have problems unclipping out of every Look Keo pedal I've tried, save the Keo Carbons, which were wearing out after about 9 years of use across various bikes. I bought Keo Sprint, Classic, the newer Max, couple pairs at a time, for other bikes. Then I finally switched from the Carbons to the Keo2Max and immediately started having problems unclipping inadvertently. Before I bought any of the Blades I tried other riders' pedals and again I could clip out way too easily.

Exustar, no problems, I was referred to them by a long time Look rep. I only have two pair at the moment but only ride one bike.

merckx
09-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Do the Exustar use keo or delta cleats?

Never mind. Keo and Spd SL.

happycampyer
09-25-2016, 05:52 PM
At times I wonder if the Keo Blade 2 was a design mistake that slipped through. Look engineers were watching YouTube videos of triathletes unable to clip into their pedals and one thought, "Why don't we make a pedal that every triathlete will foam at the mouth over to buy (because it's aero--as if more than a couple hundred people in the world actually need an aero pedal) and impossible to clip into, so we'll have entertainment for days!" They made
a prototype of the pedal as a joke, and it somehow slipped into production.

happycampyer
09-25-2016, 05:54 PM
At times I wonder if the Keo Blade 2 was a design mistake that slipped through. Look engineers were watching YouTube videos of triathletes unable to clip into their pedals and one thought, "Why don't we make a pedal that every triathlete will foam at the mouth over to buy (because it's aero--as if more than a couple hundred people in the world actually need an aero pedal) and impossible to clip into, so we'll have entertainment for days!" They made

P.S. I'm a long-time Look pedal user and usually come to their defense, but there simply is none for the Blade 2s.

merckx
09-25-2016, 06:34 PM
Gosh, I think the Blade Twos are pretty damn good. It is not that challenging to give them a flip and step. I have the 16 Nm spring and they feel nicely secure.

Team Murray
09-26-2016, 11:17 AM

P.S. I'm a long-time Look pedal user and usually come to their defense, but there simply is none for the Blade 2s.

I have to agree. I have been riding Look since the original release in 1984. Hands down, the Keo 2 Blade is the worst, by far.

Last week at Interbike, I talked to Hawley, the US distributor. They initially tried to fake surprise that there was an issue. Eventually, he said that I had to decide that if I wanted to ride Look, then I had to put up with it. He did that with Time back in the 80's.

I have owned 2 sets of the original Keo Blades. They worked better but the right pedals (I always click out of the right) broke. There is a sharp stress riser in the back plate design.

I bought a pair of Keo Blade 2, pro team version (with the Mondrian design painted on the blade). Because 50% of the time, I get the backside of the pedal, I'm just scraping off the $40 paint job.

Also, I found the normal, non-grip cleat is slightly easier to clip in. However, the grip cleat is much safe since it's not certain you can clip in. I put a drop of oil on the SS cleat plate which helps a little with clip in.

I am either going back to Keo HM Ironman or Keo 2 Max Carbon or will try the Shimano 9100.

phutterman
09-26-2016, 12:20 PM
The one I never understood and totally hate is the Keo 2 Max Blade.

I haven't used the (regular) Blade 2s, but have had Classics and (original) Blades and both have similar action, secure clip-in, etc. (Same goes for some totally satisfactory Exustar copies.) The Keo 2 Max Blades are just dismal. 12NM spring is hugely weaker than the 12NM original blade or the Classics at any setting, and has like 'vertical' float. The cleat is just never very secure in it. Spongy, loose feel all the way around, even with brand new cleats. And maybe I got bad set, but I've heard similar complaints about them from others. Just bad.

Splash
09-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks all.

Splash

Team Murray
02-14-2017, 09:47 PM
I finally took the Keo Blade 2 off my bike. Not only were they a pain in the ass to get into, but now they started to creak. I bought a pair of the old Keo Ironman HM. They rotate to the proper place and don't creak.
After 33 years on Look, I going to try the Shimano pedals.

Black Dog
02-14-2017, 10:53 PM
I finally took the Keo Blade 2 off my bike. Not only were they a pain in the ass to get into, but now they started to creak. I bought a pair of the old Keo Ironman HM. They rotate to the proper place and don't creak.
After 33 years on Look, I going to try the Shimano pedals.

I just made the same switch after 30 years on looks. It was the right call.

Willy
02-14-2017, 11:57 PM
I just switch out all the pedals in my bikes from Looks to Shimano and couldn't be happier. No problems clipping in, no problems clipping out and the pedals are always there. Their weight is such that I no longer worry if I am on the right side.

soulspinner
02-15-2017, 05:36 AM
Gosh, I think the Blade Twos are pretty damn good. It is not that challenging to give them a flip and step. I have the 16 Nm spring and they feel nicely secure.

Practice enough you don't need to look down. The Blade 2 set I have still have a lot of friction still after a few thousand miles. YMMV

Splash
02-15-2017, 06:29 AM
I just switch out all the pedals in my bikes from Looks to Shimano and couldn't be happier. No problems clipping in, no problems clipping out and the pedals are always there. Their weight is such that I no longer worry if I am on the right side.

What model of shimano do you use?

Splash

Black Dog
02-15-2017, 06:38 AM

Splash

The Ultegra pedals are amazing value and the quality as very high. Better than the best looks that are currently being made. In terms of mass they are light. Only a few $ more than 105 and 1/2 the cost of Dura-ace with 99.9% of the performance.

AngryScientist
02-15-2017, 06:50 AM
1/2 the cost of Dura-ace with 99.9% of the performance.

just asking: do you own any current model dura ace pedals?

merckx
02-15-2017, 07:00 AM
I've wanted to love Shimano pedals. They have everything going for them as noted many times except rotation physics. They are different than Looks, and I can't manage to embrace the difference. The problem is me, and not the pedals. Too many years on Looks and my feet, ankles, knees and hips now speak French.

Hilltopperny
02-15-2017, 07:22 AM
Just bought a new pair of keo max 2 pedals. These are different than the blades right? Didn't realize there were so many issues clipping in and out. My right foot is toast so I figured these would be easier to unclip from than my speedplays.

Brian Cdn
02-15-2017, 07:41 AM
Too many years on Looks and my feet, ankles, knees and hips now speak French.

moi aussi...

Black Dog
02-15-2017, 08:57 AM
just asking: do you own any current model dura ace pedals?

Fair question Angry. I have both and bearing feel is identical. I know that the DA pedals have an additional set of roller bearings but, but beyond long term durability that the roller bearings will provide there is no appreciable difference in performance. I do have a set of 25+ year old DA 7400 look delta style pedals that have two sets of ball bearings like the current Ultegra and with well over 100000km on them when I stoped using them because the retention plate pin snapped. When retired they were spinning as well as the day they were made (a few overhauls but still with original bearings!). I know the 99.9% was hyperbole but as a value proposition the Ultergra pedals are great.

Black Dog
02-15-2017, 09:05 AM
I've wanted to love Shimano pedals. They have everything going for them as noted many times except rotation physics. They are different than Looks, and I can't manage to embrace the difference. The problem is me, and not the pedals. Too many years on Looks and my feet, ankles, knees and hips now speak French.

Just curious as to what you mean by this? Is the the cleat float?

Willy
02-15-2017, 09:18 AM

Splash

DuraAce SPD-SL 9000

Black Dog
02-15-2017, 01:22 PM
moi aussi...

One day Brian. You just gave up Japanese for American you can give up French for Japanese. あなたはそれを行うことができます

45K10
02-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Just bought a new pair of keo max 2 pedals. These are different than the blades right? Didn't realize there were so many issues clipping in and out. My right foot is toast so I figured these would be easier to unclip from than my speedplays.

Yep they are different. I had a pair of Keo max 2 carbons for about five years. The other week I noticed the right pedal was cracked in half on the front left side of the pedal. Went to take the pedals (same as mine) off my wife's bike and her right pedal was cracked in the exact same place. That being said, I liked the pedals and five years is probably their life span. Although having the the pedal crack in half is a little disconcerting.

I just bought Ultegra pedals for myself and my wife. I have only ridden them on the trainer but so far I like them better than the Keos, time will tell

Brian Cdn
02-15-2017, 01:59 PM
One day Brian. You just gave up Japanese for American you can give up French for Japanese. あなたはそれを行うことができます

Lost in translation on this one..

PS: KÉO blades have served me quite well with no issues and 50,000 plus kms. I like them..

Salut.

Hilltopperny
02-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Yep they are different. I had a pair of Keo max 2 carbons for about five years. The other week I noticed the right pedal was cracked in half on the front left side of the pedal. Went to take the pedals (same as mine) off my wife's bike and her right pedal was cracked in the exact same place. That being said, I liked the pedals and five years is probably their life span. Although having the the pedal crack in half is a little disconcerting.

I just bought Ultegra pedals for myself and my wife. I have only ridden them on the trainer but so far I like them better than the Keos, time will tell
Thanks, I've used 105 and ultegra pedals in the past and have been running speedplay on most of my bikes, but my favorite shoes are set up for different cleat options. I figured I'd give these a try once the roads are clearer and see how I like them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

merckx
02-15-2017, 04:59 PM
Just curious as to what you mean by this? Is the the cleat float?

The pivot point on Look is the toe, and the pivot point on Shimano is the heel. They rotate quite differently. The physics may have changed with Shimano's blue cleat, but I cannot get on with only 2 degrees of rotation. I also have had issue adapting to Shimano's float. IMHO, Look's finest hour was the 396 Delta.

Black Dog
02-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Lost in translation on this one..

PS: KÉO blades have served me quite well with no issues and 50,000 plus kms. I like them..

Salut.

LOL, no worries. I was commenting on your switch to Crank Bros from SPD. You have have a good pair of looks, and really, if it aint broke, don't fix it. I was getting between 10-20k km on Keo 2 Max. Problem was that some pedals never lost the initial drag and loosened up, like others.

tumbler
02-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Dura-Ace 9000s are very well designed with good bearings and the proper weight balance that leaves the pedal in the right position almost every time.

Not interested in using any other pedals like SP, etc. so would appreciate any suggestion to use other pedals is refrained.

Sorry.

fignon's barber
02-16-2017, 10:49 AM

You must pedal "avec beaucoup souplesse". I 've now broken 5 Blades. I'm now mixing and matching (when a left one goes on Bike A, and a right one breaks on Bike B, make one good set). When the final one dies, I'm switching to Shimano after 29 years.