PDA

View Full Version : Thomson X4

Chris
07-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Does anyone use the X4 on their road bike? I want a 90 degree stem and need it in a 130. There don't seem to be too many options out there...

mcteague
07-15-2006, 02:33 PM
I just put one on my Seven Axiom. My Ritchey WCS was fine but the super thin clamp always bothered me. My handlebars were too wide, 46cm, and I figured I would get new bars, raise them a bit and add a more bombproof stem. The X4 is a bit chunky but VERY sturdy. No worries about that thing breaking. Not that the Ritchey ever let me down but it never really seemed stiff and my Kestral carbon bars had a lot of clear coat chipping around the stem clamp and the thought of catastrophic failure was never far from my mind. So, Thompson X4 and Deda aluminum bars were added. I was suprised to find the front end actually felt stiffer when sprinting as I really didn't expect to feel much difference. I could not find any other production stems that were 90 degrees. This gets the bars where I want them, about 2" below the saddle, without resorting to an uptitled stem with spacers on top.

Tim McTeague

woolly
07-15-2006, 04:21 PM
The Salsa scandium and steel SUL stems come in a 90-degree version, several lengths. http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_stems.html