PDA

View Full Version : OT - Touching up car paint?

jchasse
09-21-2016, 01:57 PM
We've got 2 cars that are paid for, well cared for, and otherwise in excellent condition. But as a car guy who is anal about cars being in basically showroom condition, they each have some paint issues that drive me a little nuts. The 4Runner has scratches on 2 doors and a couple of other body panels. The Audi got keyed a few years ago across the driver's door, and has a couple of other scratches.

Is there a way to do quality touch up on things like this? I don't really want to spend thousands at a body shop to have half of each vehicle re-painted. It seems like with some care, there must be a way to do this.

Any good products, tutorials etc. out there?

(Both cars are metallic paint with clear coat...)

cmbicycles
09-21-2016, 02:04 PM
There is a good video link in this thread.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=137987

batman1425
09-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Depends on how deep they are. If just in the clear coat - there are good products available for not a lot of money. That and some elbow grease (or a polisher) will do wonders for small blemishes. If they are down to metal, you can still do it yourself, but it is a multi step, pretty involved process.

If it was me - I would pay to have anything that violates the 10 foot rule done by a shop, buff out the small stuff on my own, and live with the rest.

crownjewelwl
09-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Look into doctor color chip