obtuse
07-14-2006, 10:37 PM
let's try again....

cs124
07-15-2006, 12:01 AM
i'll take thor's 595

dbrk
07-15-2006, 07:43 AM
Now that I have had an up-close-and-personal look at the Tour riders bikes I find myself deeply unimpressed with their aesthetics, build quality, and the overall impression left behind. I prefer the French women, despite their problems with podium dresses. They (uhh...the bikes...) are magnificently maintained---the quality of the gluing on sew-ups, for example, is unimaginably good and the overall mechanical care taken to bring them race-worthy---and obviously they serve their purpose brilliantly since they are ridden hard, fast, and under extreme conditions day in and out. But as such I rate them a 10 as tools and about 1 as something I would like to own.

If a bike is just a tool then its only half as much as it can be. I personally thought the Ridleys were the best looking of the lot, with the Times and C50s right in there. To ride, if that's your lot. To love, never.

dbrk

Ray
07-15-2006, 08:01 AM
I'm quite sure they all work brilliantly well for the kind of riding they're intended for and most of them are, to my eyes, nothing to look at. But I'm always amazed at some of the inexplicable stuff that catches my eye that I actually LIKE. My bias is somewhat similar to DBRK's in that I prefer the look of not too ornately lugged steel. Most carbon, ti, and alu bikes do nothing for me visually, although my two favorite RIDING bikes are ti. But, for some reason, I've always liked the BMC bikes that Phonak rides. From the first time I saw them in yeller and green under Tyler, I thought the hyper-industrial looking joinery and reinforcements just looked cool. Still do. If you gave me a verbal description, it's the last thing I'd think I'd like. But seeing them, I dig 'em for no reason I could explain.

Now that Floyd has one with a stem even I could probably use, I really like 'em.

-Ray

saab2000
07-15-2006, 08:14 AM
I like the purity of the design on some of them. It is the pure funcionality that appeals to my tastes. Obviously, there is some gimmickry (is that a word?) on many of the bikes.

But they are race bikes and being raced at the Tour de France of cycling. Wait, it is the actual Tour de France. Pull out the stops. No holds barred.

Floyd races on Zipp 202s. Those things are insanely light but I have often wondered about their stiffness. I guess if they are stiff enough for that bada$$ Mennonite they are stiff enough for me.

(Quick aside: I know and have flown with a male Mennonite flight attendant. World's nicest guy. We sort of made him come out for a drink in Wilmington, NC a couple months ago and he looked like he was gonna throw up. Not from the drink itself but from the fact that he was drinking it and there was a fair amount of skin in that bar. The next day we got lectured on morality and how this was not the way to live our lives, etc. He lives in southern Delaware on a farm in splendid isolation. I can't believe he comes to Philadelphia to fly on our airplanes.)

I like all the bikes but like the 'classic' brands like Colnago the best. I wish I could glue tubulars as well as those pro mechanics. I know exactly what DBRK is talking about and I am unable to duplicate that level of excellence.

Bill Bove
07-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Now give us a ride report, in essay form, 2000 words or more on how you spent your summer vacation :) and please feel free to post any photographs you may have taken,. you did say something about French women.

manet
07-15-2006, 11:09 AM
hey champ...

Fixed
07-15-2006, 12:18 PM
I voted for the ex.c nago rabo's hip
the ridley is what i'd buy it's a bargin
cheers

shinomaster
07-15-2006, 01:00 PM
I miss Cipollini and his gay shorts, and his red Cannondale.

SPINDAWG
07-15-2006, 02:49 PM
I personally like their bike the best.

Fixed
07-15-2006, 04:26 PM
show off
cheers :D

The Spider
07-16-2006, 01:57 AM
Angry dumb midget?

that is pure brilliance! call of the day :)

Spindawg, time you talk to Ergott and some special wheels for those beasts!

obtuse
07-16-2006, 01:05 PM
no one likes the ag2r bike? wow.

obtuse

classic1
07-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Those AG2R B twin bikes are probably the cheapest bikes in the Tour.

Advertised in Europe EURO2400 complete with Ultegra.

Arrieta looks fantastic on his. Sammy Dumoulin on the other hand........

GoJavs
07-16-2006, 10:09 PM
And look at that, I just gave him the lead! Might be the only sprint the guy wins this Tour! :crap:

jeffg
07-17-2006, 04:16 AM
sensible geo and good looks ... Just a shame Valverde's out :crap: :crap:

I'll take my Hampsten/Parlee and Legend over these rides any day, though

Is that RS my size?