PDA

View Full Version : Sram eTap micro adjust issues?

Chuckjg112
09-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Good evening Paceline,

I am hoping that the collective knowledge base here can share some advise on an eTap build that I am working on. I've built one etap bike already and everything was so smooth, I couldnt believe it. Now, helping a buddy with an etap build, I am having problems getting the shifting nice and smooth.

The problem is that I cannot seem to get the micro adjust function to adjust enough to make the shifting silent. It's currently set up with a compact crank and 11-28 sram cassette and chain.

I've played with the b tension too but still noisy in the 12-13 tooth cogs mostly.

If you guys have any words of wisdom, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks
Chuck

zank
09-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Is the hanger straight?

elliott
09-20-2016, 07:49 PM
Using a powerdome 1190 cassette? They can be a little noisy ;)

SoCalSteve
09-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Good evening Paceline,

I am hoping that the collective knowledge base here can share some advise on an eTap build that I am working on. I've built one etap bike already and everything was so smooth, I couldnt believe it. Now, helping a buddy with an etap build, I am having problems getting the shifting nice and smooth.

The problem is that I cannot seem to get the micro adjust function to adjust enough to make the shifting silent. It's currently set up with a compact crank and 11-28 sram cassette and chain.

I've played with the b tension too but still noisy in the 12-13 tooth cogs mostly.

If you guys have any words of wisdom, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks
Chuck

Is it making the same noise in the 12/13 and both front chainrings? Sure the noise isn't coming from the front derailleur cage?

Derailleur hanger, cassette not on 100%, skewers not in the drop outs 100% on both sides...just a few things to check.

There are great videos on installing Etap all over YouTube. You may just want to start from scratch and follow them.

Good luck!

SoCalSteve
09-20-2016, 07:55 PM
Using a powerdome 1190 cassette? They can be a little noisy ;)

I found this to be true. Dura Ace works much better!

FlashUNC
09-20-2016, 11:19 PM
New cassette and chain? Or mixing and matching used and new?

Chuckjg112
09-25-2016, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the advice. After pairing the system again and checking the hangar alignment, i decided to pop in another wheelset which had an ultegra cassette and Viola! Just right with very little adjustment. So I swapped the 1170 sram cassette for a shimano and all is well.

I've always preferred shimano cassettes on my sram setups and will keep doing it.

Thanks for your feedback guys, Much appreciated!

Joxster
09-25-2016, 06:23 AM
SRAM not working right???? Surely not they've lead everyone to believe that they're products are fully tested before going to market ;) ;) ;)

oldpotatoe
09-25-2016, 06:50 AM
I found this to be true. Dura Ace works much better!

Question. Etap front der battery clearance for fatter tires...a problem with cross guys? Any seen at Vegas or JingleCross??

peanutgallery
09-25-2016, 07:33 AM
Yet to actually see etap but....

I do know that sram is typically a tight fit at that end of the cassette and I've had to put a 1mm washer on the rear mech to make some space.

Just a thought

chiasticon
09-25-2016, 08:03 AM
Question. Etap front der battery clearance for fatter tires...a problem with cross guys? Any seen at Vegas or JingleCross??the winner of both - and world champ - was on eTap hydro. as is the national champ. so I'm guessing no. maybe with fatter tires than UCI maximum of 33 though...?

SoCalSteve
09-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Question. Etap front der battery clearance for fatter tires...a problem with cross guys? Any seen at Vegas or JingleCross??

You asked me this before, old Spud...plenty of clearance.