PDA

View Full Version : WTB Large full suspension bike - affordable.

d_douglas
09-20-2016, 03:22 PM
Hi good folks

I am shopping for a buddy who is on a tight budget, but has caught the MTB bug. He rode my too-big Rocky Mountain Element 29er FS bike this weekend and loved it.

He's a 5'11" kinda guy and would ride a large frame. Our trails are pretty technical so 26" or 27.5" might be better than 29" (in spite of my own bike choices!)

The bottom line is condition and affordability. In an ideal world, I'd love to find a Deore equipped Santa Cruz Blur or Specialized whatever or something like that for $1000 or so. They've come through here in the past, so I suspect they'll come through again.

If you have any suggestions, let me know.

d_douglas
09-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Bump! I have had an offer of an XL, but I am pretty certain that's too big. He rode my XL, and it was too long/tall, so I will say we are only looking for larges.

Thanks!

Ken Robb
09-21-2016, 10:35 AM
What's the best way to ship a bike to B.C.?

d_douglas
09-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Hi Ken:

Good point - a fellow paceliner in town has used BikeFlights with great success and said it was affordable. In any case, I would expect the cost of shipping to be mine, not the sellers.

I guess the important part is that shipping would be simple to Canada and wouldn't be a barrier.

In theory, you could also ship to my buddy in Seattle, as we plan to visit him this Fall, but getting it to Canada would be better logistics-wise.

audiisaac
09-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Is he at all interested in a hardtail? I have your bikes little brother, a Rocky Mountain Vertex 29 with a few upgrades (fox fork, X9, ect) size is 19" i believe. I could probably sell it shipped for $1000

TunaAndBikes
09-21-2016, 02:29 PM
I have a scott scale 29 team hardtail from 2011 that's a great platform and that i'd let go for cheap.
If you're interested (or your friend) shoot me a PM!
Plus, i'm in Canada too!

icepick_trotsky
09-21-2016, 02:31 PM
I know from personal experience that you'd save a lot of of money on shipping if it stays within the U.S. via bike flights.

I shipped a frame to someone in Vancouver. It would have been like $150 to his door. Instead, he found some kind of shipping forwarding company right across the border in Bellingham, Washington. They accepted shipping and he drove and picked it up. Saved over $100 on shipping for a 20 minute drive.

I bet you could ship direct to a FedEx location, too, since that's who bikeflights uses.

d_douglas
09-21-2016, 02:52 PM
I have a scott scale 29 team hardtail from 2011 that's a great platform and that i'd let go for cheap.
If you're interested (or your friend) shoot me a PM!
Plus, i'm in Canada too!

Sure, sent you a PM.

And yes, it would be cheaper, but for all the hassle, it might be an opportunity cost to have it delivered. He has a 3 + 6 yr old, so he's a busy man. We also live on Vancouver ISLAND, so driving to the border is not an option :(. It requires a ferry to get there - easy, but lots of time and cost.