PDA

View Full Version : Veloce and KMC Chain

Rpoole8537
09-20-2016, 12:20 PM
I installed a Veloce group on a new frame, and used a KMC chain. All are nine speed. Chain and cassette like new. After a few hundred miles, the chain started to make a crunching sound. I thought there might be a tight link, nope. Then, I thought the master link might be the culprit, nope! I found some people have complained about this on another site. Any ideas out there in Paceland?

Dead Man
09-20-2016, 12:30 PM
I installed a Veloce group on a new frame, and used a KMC chain. All are nine speed. Chain and cassette like new. After a few hundred miles, the chain started to make a crunching sound. I thought there might be a tight link, nope. Then, I thought the master link might be the culprit, nope! I found some people have complained about this on another site. Any ideas out there in Paceland?

Gonna ask the obvious question... Have you cleaned and lubed it?

kramnnim
09-20-2016, 12:38 PM
Does it make the sound constantly whenever you're pedaling, or just once per revolution, or once every time the chain goes around? (which is about every other pedal rev if you're in the big ring...)

My 11sp KMC chains have a weird vibration on Campy cassettes, similar to when the B tension is too weak and the upper pulley is very close to the sprockets...

Rpoole8537
09-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Chain is clean and lubed. It does not do it continuously but also doesn't do it in rhythm. Also, I canno get it to "crunch" in the work stand.

Ralph
09-20-2016, 05:04 PM
I use both veloce and kmc chains on campy 10 drive trains. Can't tell any difference.

nesteel
09-20-2016, 06:18 PM
I used a KMC SL gold chain with Campy 9. Total piece of crap. Never got it to shift smooth, and it always made that super cool crunchy sound. Tossed a SRAM 9speed chain on it and never looked back.

Dead Man
09-20-2016, 06:23 PM
I used a KMC SL gold chain with Campy 9. Total piece of crap. Never got it to shift smooth, and it always made that super cool crunchy sound. Tossed a SRAM 9speed chain on it and never looked back.

I've got a gold X11sl on DA9000... shifting was funknasty and it squeaked for the first couple hundred miles - with the factory lube, and then even after I stripped it out, blew it out, and put my usual lube on it.

But it just looked way too fly to take it off.. so I took one link out, and that fixed the shifting issue, and then the squeak just went away on its own. Now I am happy with the chain.

I also got it on mega sale, so I didn't even spend that much on it. Less than the cost of a 9000.

AngryScientist
09-20-2016, 06:26 PM
My bikes are all kmc, all the time. 9-11 speed. Never had a problem.

Dead Man
09-20-2016, 06:31 PM
I've got a gold X11sl on DA9000... shifting was funknasty and it squeaked for the first couple hundred miles - with the factory lube, and then even after I stripped it out, blew it out, and put my usual lube on it.

But it just looked way too fly to take it off.. so I took one link out, and that fixed the shifting issue, and then the squeak just went away on its own. Now I am happy with the chain.

I also got it on mega sale, so I didn't even spend that much on it. Less than the cost of a 9000.

I forgot that I also replaced my cassette, which was apparently worn out.. so that could have played into the funky shifting too, somehow, I gues.

AngryScientist
09-20-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm Italian and I love gold chains. I'm not joking and I'm not apologizing:)

acorn_user
09-20-2016, 09:02 PM
I've used all kinds of 9 speed chains on my 9 speed Veloce drive train. I don't really notice much difference between them until I try to remove them; then the Wippermann ones are easier! I've not had the problem you describe...

Rpoole8537
09-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Update on chain behavior. Today, I installed a nine speed Dura Ace chain that I had with only a few miles on it, and the noise has "left the building". Now, this was tested with a ride around the block, but I tried all kinds of gear combinations to provide the chain with an opportunity to make some noise. Even without a proper lubrication job, it was very quiet. Problem solved! Not sure why the KMC was noisy. I'll have to check the model and see if it is the correct chain.
Thanks for all the input.