PDA

View Full Version : How do you add sealant to Vittoria valves?

brockd15
09-20-2016, 12:01 PM
I'm getting ready to mount tubulars for the first time and it seems like a good idea to add sealant from the get go. I have Vittoria Corsa SCs with the red valves and no removable core, and I want to add Orange Seal. What's the best way to do it? Do I remove the red valve and use the injector straight into the little valve nubbin?

If you don't add it from the beginning, can you do it later without removing the tire by removing the valve, screwing on a regular valve extender with a removable core and using that to inject the sealant? Does such an extender even exist? If it does, seems like it would be best to use that instead of the Vittoria valve altogether.

Dead Man
09-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Red stem Vittorias suck bawls

I was not able to find any compatible after market valve extenders... I don't believe they exist. And that makes sense, since this was a short lived moment of stupidity for vittoria... Only one generation of their tires had that crap, I think.

as to getting sealant in there... It's gonna be a pain in the ass. Stans would probably be easier, as you could push the tip of the bottle against the valve nub and probably get most of the stuff into the tire (and hope gravity keeps it in there till you can thread the vavle back on?).. The orange seal hose will probably not give you enough of a seal to drive the sealant in, but I haven't tried it

Could try a syringe or something too

sandyrs
09-20-2016, 12:39 PM
I know this is not something anyone including me is likely to try with a nice new tubular, but maybe someone with an older tubie could try it: what about using a syringe to inject sealant directly into the tire, via somewhere inconspicuous like the sidewall near the basetape? The hole it would leave would be absolutely tiny and sealant would take care of it instantly- or so I would assume...

wombatspeed
09-20-2016, 12:45 PM
At least what worked for my Grifos

Replace red valve stems with Maxxis valve stems with removable valve core.

For details see here:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104149
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91860

I use caffelatex for my latex inner tubed Cross tubulars. Unscrew valve core and top up as needed.

brockd15
09-20-2016, 12:53 PM

For details see here:

I use caffelatex for my latex inner tubed Cross tubulars. Unscrew valve core and top up as needed.

I've heard about these and they seem like the best solution, but for some reason I thought they didn't make the ones anymore that are interchangeable with Vittoria valves. Have you bought any recently that worked?

FlashUNC
09-20-2016, 12:53 PM
I think Vittoria does the non-removable valves to sell you that can of fix o flat they offer instead.

brockd15
09-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Sounds about right, and the reviews I've heard of it have mostly been negative.

brockd15
09-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Red stem Vittorias suck bawls

I was not able to find any compatible after market valve extenders... I don't believe they exist. And that makes sense, since this was a short lived moment of stupidity for vittoria... Only one generation of their tires had that crap, I think.

as to getting sealant in there... It's gonna be a pain in the ass. Stans would probably be easier, as you could push the tip of the bottle against the valve nub and probably get most of the stuff into the tire (and hope gravity keeps it in there till you can thread the vavle back on?).. The orange seal hose will probably not give you enough of a seal to drive the sealant in, but I haven't tried it

Could try a syringe or something too

Yeah, if they Maxxis valves don't fit then maybe a syringe would be the way to go.

Look585
09-20-2016, 01:55 PM
I have a pile of red 42mm stems that are too long for my disc. I'll mail you one and you can chop off the valve end and inject. Then remount your red stem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

wombatspeed
09-20-2016, 02:01 PM
I've heard about these and they seem like the best solution, but for some reason I thought they didn't make the ones anymore that are interchangeable with Vittoria valves. Have you bought any recently that worked?

I haven't bought them in a while. Seems like Ebay (or German mailorder sites) are the only option these days.

lhuerta
09-20-2016, 02:11 PM

For details see here:

THIS ...plus, no need to pretreat your tires, especially given that you may run a tire to threads without ever flatting (why pretreat your expensive Vitt SCs if you may never need the sealant. For best results, when you flat, remove core on the road, add about 1 oz of sealant (I have had great results with Bontrager TL), inject just a bit of air with CO2, turn your wheel so that sealant flows to hole and floods the hole, then complete filling tire with air, resulting in best seal of the puncture.

wombatspeed
09-20-2016, 02:17 PM
THIS ...plus, no need to pretreat your tires, especially given that you may run a tire to threads without ever flatting (why pretreat your expensive Vitt SCs if you may never need the sealant. For best results, when you flat, remove core on the road, add about 1 oz of sealant (I have had great results with Bontrager TL), inject just a bit of air with CO2, turn your wheel so that sealant flows to hole and floods the hole, then complete filling tire with air, resulting in best seal of the puncture.

Agree about the pre-treating.

I do, because of goatheads on our cross courses... ON the road I wouldn't until needed.

Dead Man
09-20-2016, 02:30 PM
There's actually something to be said for repairing on the roadside rather than pre treating... I cut a pave recently that hadn't been ridden for a while... And though the cut was bad enough that it may not have been sealable anyway, apparently all the sealant had cured up because I had absolutely no Stans blow out all over my back like I usually do with a big cut and pretreated rear tire

brockd15
09-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Maybe I'll order some Maxxis valves from overseas and not pre-treat.

I'd prefer to only add sealant if needed, but I want to be sure I can do it on the roadside without pulling off the tire.

What a pain these Vittoria valves are.

oldpotatoe
09-21-2016, 06:10 AM
I'm getting ready to mount tubulars for the first time and it seems like a good idea to add sealant from the get go. I have Vittoria Corsa SCs with the red valves and no removable core, and I want to add Orange Seal. What's the best way to do it? Do I remove the red valve and use the injector straight into the little valve nubbin?

If you don't add it from the beginning, can you do it later without removing the tire by removing the valve, screwing on a regular valve extender with a removable core and using that to inject the sealant? Does such an extender even exist? If it does, seems like it would be best to use that instead of the Vittoria valve altogether.

What I did was get a red Vittoria valve off a flat tire, cut the valve part off, and used that, screwed on, to get goop into the tire. Glad the red valve silliness is gone.