PDA

View Full Version : OT: cycling and iPhone 7

adrien
09-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Anyone out there have a 7 yet?

My 5s is in its death throes, and it's time. But I'm concerned about the new earbuds, because I read that they shut off when you remove one.

I have a habit of listening to podcasts and books when riding. Right ear only, and not loudly, so I can hear cars etc. I also have mirrors and cat ears.

Anyone know if there's a way to run them with one ear bud?

zmudshark
09-20-2016, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't ride with one wireless bud, in any case. Why not just use the wired option?

echelon_john
09-20-2016, 11:46 AM
yep, use the adaptor and put one corded earbud in your ear.

ojingoh
09-20-2016, 06:39 PM
just use another Bluetooth headset.

I wouldn't use an adapter, since my 6 plus is already shakey from a few years of plugins and all that extra leverage from the plug is going to put even more stress on the receptacle. I went to BT wireless and haven't looked back.

eBAUMANN
09-20-2016, 10:14 PM
that would be an expensive and sad day when the bud falls out and 'splodes on the pavement...cords serve a dual purpose when biking n listening ;)

Tickdoc
09-20-2016, 10:21 PM
Nice timing.

http://youtu.be/rTFPB4OUqrM

SlowPokePete
09-21-2016, 04:42 AM
Well I can only hope that "water resistant" means what it looks like it means in that video...

iPhone 6s due for upgrade in December...this would be an important feature for me.

SPP

oldpotatoe
09-21-2016, 05:44 AM
Anyone out there have a 7 yet?

My 5s is in its death throes, and it's time. But I'm concerned about the new earbuds, because I read that they shut off when you remove one.

I have a habit of listening to podcasts and books when riding. Right ear only, and not loudly, so I can hear cars etc. I also have mirrors and cat ears.

Anyone know if there's a way to run them with one ear bud?

Get the earbuds that plug into the charge port..bobs yer uncle.

kramnnim
09-21-2016, 06:14 AM
Currently dealing with issues with my 6+ after a raindrop got in my headphone jack. :crap:

tuxbailey
09-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Well I can only hope that "water resistant" means what it looks like it means in that video...

iPhone 6s due for upgrade in December...this would be an important feature for me.

SPP

Looks pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYEeb4U6ZYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K05cTPeFfyM

benb
09-21-2016, 08:28 AM
The standard is 3m for 30min, if you're exceeding that on your bike ride something is wrong.

Not a headphone wearer but I agree wear the old wired earbuds in one ear. The adapter sounds like it comes in the package with the iPhone 7.

purpurite
09-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Nice timing.

http://youtu.be/rTFPB4OUqrM

Do people really go out when there is lightning? Seems like a really bad idea.

MikeD
09-21-2016, 10:00 AM
I hate that they removed the headphone jack, but Bluetooth is the way to go when cycling.

R3awak3n
09-21-2016, 10:08 AM
just get another bluetooth headset. I have been using one for like 3 years, cheap $30 sony and you can plug whatever headphones you want into it.

Andy sti
09-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Lifeproof case and Bluetooth headset - good to go. While being water resistant is nice it doesn't make it drop resistant!

bewheels
09-21-2016, 08:04 PM
I have one of the 7s. They come with the standard iPhone headphones that plug in (the new lightning connector). They sound good. Function just like all the previous iPhones as it relates to wired headphones.

The wireless headphone are to be sold separately when they come out in a few weeks.

The is also a small adaptor included so you can use headphones that have the regular jack.

If you need a new phone just go for it. They are nice.

adrien
09-22-2016, 09:56 AM
I have one of the 7s. They come with the standard iPhone headphones that plug in (the new lightning connector). They sound good. Function just like all the previous iPhones as it relates to wired headphones.

The wireless headphone are to be sold separately when they come out in a few weeks.

The is also a small adaptor included so you can use headphones that have the regular jack.

If you need a new phone just go for it. They are nice.

Gracias

chiasticon
09-22-2016, 10:30 AM
just get another bluetooth headset.this. I picked up a random off-brand set for $25 with great reviews off Amazon a couple years back. been rock solid and have a clip to attach them to my collar as well. I've accidentally washed them in my kit a couple times too and they've lived to tell the tale.

ojingoh
09-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Oh yeah, that's the thing about Bluetooth headsets - you can put your fancy phone in a ziplock bag and zip it all the way up, truly waterproof.