PDA

View Full Version : Inputs for new headlight--Conclusion and Purchase

wasfast
09-19-2016, 09:19 PM
No this isn't a newbie question. I have a Exposure Maxx D MK2 that I've had for 8 years. Thing is a tank. I bounced it off the road on a decent at 35mph and spent 10 minutes looking for it in a field. It never even turned off...and still works fine excepting the dents/scrapes on the back:). The battery is getting very slow to charge. I think I've more than gotten my money despite the high cost at the time.

Light is for commuting.
Battery must be integral like the all the Exposure lights
1000 lumens minimum. Yes that is a lot but I want BRIGHT
Minimum 1 hour on high, preferably more
Price isn't a driver, meaning I'm not wanting a Magic Shine to save money.
Durability and ruggedness is important
Prefer something slightly smaller than the rather clunky Maxx D, optionally though.
Bar mounted
USB chargeable
Prefer a more road oriented pattern meaning wider and less light going up

The Exposure Strada is close. Who else makes self contained lights similar? I've seen the Lezyne's.

Ideas?

Other option is helmet light plus bar light

pjm
09-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Pricey, but hard to beat the Dinotte XPL-3

joev
09-19-2016, 10:19 PM
I'd recommend the Light and Motion Taz series for that power. Alternatively, I would suggest a lower output, say NiteRider Lumina. They now have a 950. I used to want more power but found the really bright lights mess with my night vision. I ride with a older 750 and most times at 1/2 power. My routine is to ride early morning a few days a week. The less bright light lets me see the "shadows" around me. Not the intense black outside the beam that I get with a really bright light. The 1/2 power 750 is bright enough for oncoming traffic to see too. I still see all the potholes, critters, and trash in the road and really don't miss the bright white light. I can even see meteors every now and then in the sky! I have both Light and Motion and NiteRider lights and you can't do wrong with either.

joosttx
09-19-2016, 10:27 PM
http://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/piko-tl-minimax.asp

I really like the Lupine Piko TL mini. It's built like what you expect a German product to be built like. And it's has a very small form factor.

stackie
09-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Exposure Diablo on your helmet. Exposure Flash on bars in case the Diablo burns out or otherwise fails.

That's my set up for years now. Love the bright light on helmet. When cars forget to dim their brights, I show them mine. They dim theirs pretty quickly.

Done.

Jon

Lanternrouge
09-19-2016, 11:04 PM
I would really recommend having lights on your bars and helmet for riding when it's really dark based on the San Diego area. I'm not as up to date on the best new stuff now since I don't ride during full darkness these days, though it seems like there are lots of great options nowadays.

VonTrapp
09-19-2016, 11:53 PM
I would really recommend having lights on your bars and helmet for riding when it's really dark based on the San Diego area. I'm not as up to date on the best new stuff now since I don't ride during full darkness these days, though it seems like there are lots of great options nowadays.

Highly agree with this dual-combo.

I can't tell you how many times having a light on the bars for forward progress, AND a light on my helmet to shine at car drivers who were about to do something stupid in my direction, saved my butt.

Dual. All. The. Way.

jghall
09-20-2016, 06:46 AM
Light & Motion Taz.

Would also see if you can track down the older Lezyne Deda/Mega.

wasfast
09-20-2016, 06:59 AM
The Lupine Piko TL looks very interesting. Like the form factor.

I know many wonder why you need a higher lumen level for road but I'm in mixed light conditions with lots of cars, street lights etc. For "country" riding, I agree that less is better.

I've considered the helmet/bar combo before. It would be useful to "laser beam" drivers when you need to get their attention.

Appreciate all the inputs so far.

MaraudingWalrus
09-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Cateye makes some insane 6000 lumen monstrosity. You said price isn't a driver, I say prove it and go for the big guns!

The cateye volt 1600s that I've seen have been very nice as well.

wasfast
09-21-2016, 06:48 PM
$799.........http://cateyeamerica.com/Volt-6000-HL-EL6000RC

I said not a driver but that would qualify as a wreck:-) I'm in the under $400 range or so.

jghall
09-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Lot's of good info out on mtbr.com in the review section. Several years of shootouts.

dton
09-21-2016, 08:50 PM
I'm a big fan of Cygolite as a "value" product but still great quality.

Everyone talks about L&M but honestly when I compared similar models (L&M Urban 800 vs Cygolite Expilion 850), I was not impressed with their beam pattern. Sure the tone was nice, but the throw was just circular where as the Cygolite's was more rectangular, wider and not as much glare vertically.

They have one with an integrated battery that's 1300 lumens and 1.45hrs at max. http://www.cygolite.com/product/trion-1300/

This is what I have: http://www.cygolite.com/product/expilion-850-usb/

93legendti
09-21-2016, 08:58 PM
Exposure Diablo

RobJ
09-21-2016, 09:07 PM
The pointer to the mountain bike reviews/shootouts is right on. Very thorough testing and show beam patterns etc. That's where I got my info.

I had Cygolites in the past and they definitely stack up feature-wise and at a good price point. Based on the reviews I tried out a Glowworm. Made in NZ but have US distribution. Very nice, bright and exceeded expectations. I have a separate battery,bbut they have models that are integrated.

rnhood
09-21-2016, 09:27 PM
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-commuter-bike-lights/

wasfast
09-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Appreciate the Cygolite option. After a bunch of reading and comparing, it came down to the Cygolite Trion 1300 and the L & M Taz 1500.

TAZ
I liked the lens on the Taz with 2 LED's on the top for long throw and a diffuser on the bottom one for spread closer in. The amber side lights are a nice extra.

I didn't care for the strap mount. It has to come off each time with the light since it's permanently attached to the main light.

Trion
Fairly similar category. Despite no obvious things about the lens, the beam spread comparison's show its pretty wide. My biggest complaint with the Exposure lights (excepting the Strata) is the round beam that points up into the trees and drivers eyes. My Maxx D puts out a decent amount of light but not all usable by any means.

I bought a Trion off Amazon. If I don't like it for some reason, I can always return it. Hoping not:-)

cinema
09-21-2016, 10:44 PM
Let us know what you think of the cygo, I too am looking to upgrade and am between the diablo and the trion. the trion seems to have better battery life but is twice the weight of the diablo.

wasfast
10-06-2016, 07:00 AM
I did buy the Cygolite 1300. Size and weight are good. Buttons and operation are very straightforward to use. The clamp while sturdy, is a bit clunky.

Did a side by side comparison with the Exposure MaxxD. 900 VS 1300 isn't a linear increase in brightness of course but it's noticeably different. The biggest difference is the beam pattern. The Exposure beam is roundish shape which means most of the top light is wasted on the trees and sky. The Cygolite is wider for sure.

At 1/2 the price of the Exposure product, it's well worth it on a value scale.

Durability: Got to test this on the very first ride. The fit into the clamp is pretty tight so if you don't get it all the way in, it can vibrate loose. During my comparison the previous day, I had just slid the light into the clamp but not all the way since it was so tight. You may be able to guess what happens next:-(

I live on top of a very steep (15%) rough concrete street. I'm zooming down the hill as I start just about every ride, right up to 30mph. The light bounces out of the mount and proceeds to perform cartwheels on the road. Functionally, no issues but the outside took a whole bunch of road rash. I was, am still are, annoyed that my shiny new light didn't live 30 seconds without it's first incident. It bothers me enough that I may contact Cygolite and see if it can be repaired back to new. I plan on keeping this for many years so it's worth it to me.

In use: light works great. I ride a 52cm Cannondale and the stem is fully slammed thus the light "height" on the bars is pretty low. That means a flatter angle pointed down the road and thus the rotation of the clamp is very touchy to get adjusted right.

Very happy with my purchase. I am finding myself wanting a helmet light as several other pointed out early in this thread. Having the option to highlight an area or point at drivers would be very handy. I just don't feel like spending dough for a Exposure Joystick........

54ny77
10-06-2016, 07:07 AM
Light & Motion 800.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1834856&postcount=92

Very happy with it from a lighting perspective. Pre-dawn, I generally use it on medium setting for an hour or so, then go to blinking mode once the sun comes up. Battery life is fine for my riding times & uses. Mounting system leaves a lot to be desired, but I've remedied that by putting a small piece of heavy duty velcro on the light mounting bracket and a little spot on my bars next to stem. Works like a charm, holds things in place. There's more detail on that on the link I provided. Hope that helps.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/IMG_20150919_175526_687_zpsu77extsf.jpg

Anarchist
10-06-2016, 08:23 AM
The IXON series from Busch & Muller.

Probably the IXON IQ or the IXON Speed.

wasfast
10-22-2016, 06:16 PM
I did send in my light to Cygolite who are pretty close by (Irvine,CA). The original email said they would call me with an estimate once they received the light back. Never got a call so emailed again after a week.

The good news is they are going to fix the damage under warranty despite it being 100% my own fault. A very nice thing to do and decent customer service. I haven't received it back but imagine it should be here with in a week (guessing).

Thankfully I still have the Exposure Maxx D. Did a block of 3 commutes in a row this week (40 miles round trip each) and it's very dark in the mornings.

jghall
10-22-2016, 07:59 PM
Diablo makes a great helmet light, but baring the expense, I'd also consider Light & Motion and Cateye.

Pretty cool of Cygolite to warranty your light.

wasfast
11-03-2016, 06:55 PM
I received the light back yesterday. I was a bit surprised about the time it took to go through the entire process. I shipped the light back on Oct 10, going from San Diego to LA essentially (Irvine). I did have to pay for the replacement shells (front and rear) for $15.00. Not terrible and no labor but I also pay the return shipping.

I also bought an extra mount as the mount ($14.95)for this particular light is challenging to find it and I have 2 bikes.

All told a pretty good experience, albeit a tad slow.

I did use the light this morning (well clipped in to the mount:D). I'm pretty happy with it. The pattern is wider than the Maxx D. There a delicate balance for tilt as too much downward tilt means a pretty hot spot in front and too little means lots of throw but rather distributed light so not as bright. Still, for road riding it's good.

I can still see the benefit of having a helmet light as a companion. The additional light and ability to "point" at drivers would be nice. Perhaps I'll end up with a Exposure Joystick still.

The switches are more logical than the multiple button push setup of the Exposure. No interference issues with the Garmin 500 that's very close by. I saw that issue mentioned in another review but it's going to be highly dependent on what the other device is.

Looking forward to a good winter of commuting.