PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Ultra Torque bearing & grease question

sfhbike
09-19-2016, 04:14 PM
I just purchased a used Record 11 crank with only a few hundred miles on it to replace a Chorus one I currently have. Both are Ultra Torque.

Since the Record crank came off another bike, I am wondering:
1) It seems prudent to regrease the bearings before reinstalling. The cranks are nearly new and the grease looks fine, but some of it may have been wiped off during removal, etc. Should I regrease and repack the bearings?
2) I have Phil Wood bearing grease at home. What is on the bearings is something that looks more white and pasty. What does Campy use? Are these compatible or do I need to clean it all off first?
3) If I do need to clean it, what method is recommended for cleaning the old grease off? (I don't have a bearing puller.)

Thanks.

oldpotatoe
09-19-2016, 04:22 PM
I just purchased a used Record 11 crank with only a few hundred miles on it to replace a Chorus one I currently have. Both are Ultra Torque.

Since the Record crank came off another bike, I am wondering:
1) It seems prudent to regrease the bearings before reinstalling. The cranks are nearly new and the grease looks fine, but some of it may have been wiped off during removal, etc. Should I regrease and repack the bearings?
2) I have Phil Wood bearing grease at home. What is on the bearings is something that looks more white and pasty. What does Campy use? Are these compatible or do I need to clean it all off first?
3) If I do need to clean it, what method is recommended for cleaning the old grease off? (I don't have a bearing puller.)

Thanks.

1)sure, a lot of grease around bearings, inside cups on hirth teeth.
2)probably lithium but grease is oil in soap, mixing is fine.
3)see above

sfhbike
09-19-2016, 04:26 PM
1)sure, a lot of grease around bearings, inside cups on hirth teeth.
2)probably lithium but grease is oil in soap, mixing is fine.
3)see above

Perfect, thanks.