PDA

View Full Version : Stolen bikes deja vu

thenewguy11
09-19-2016, 03:36 PM
This is probably the only place on the internet that can understand the sinking feeling I have in my stomach since my wife called this morning to let me know that thieves stole two bikes from our garage (again). Unfortunately, unlike the last time when they made off with a run of the mill Scott mountain bike, this time they grabbed my beloved Firefly 650b Rando bike and my essentially new Bedford SS mountain bike.

The two bikes were going to get cleaned up and I hadn't locked them up, which is what I resorted to after the last time this happened.

I keep vacilating between being furious and just really sad. I know it's just stuff, and stuff can be replaced. But the hours I spent planning and discussing the builds, and the months/years I waited for them to be built, and the joy I had riding them, all of that conspires to really bum me out.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp322/ttoth11/FF-180-Studio-2_zpsedbf904e.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp322/ttoth11/IMG_1627_zpsfelea7qt.jpg

AngryScientist
09-19-2016, 03:42 PM
i'm really sorry to hear this. thieves are such scumbags.

the community here will keep an eye out, i'm sure. i know you will contact firefly and kelly too, they can use their network in case these pop up somewhere.

i guess they just strip these for parts, but they are so unique, i dont get how they expect to move the frames without getting caught.

and YES, we do understand the emotional investment of time and thinking that goes into a custom (or any beloved bike), and you are certainly not wrong or crazy to feel sad that they are gone.

of course, it's a plus that you and your family are safe, but that violated feeling is hard to get over, i'm sure.

scumbags!

wishing you the best.

Lewis Moon
09-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Isn't there a national stolen bike database?

foo_fighter
09-19-2016, 04:12 PM
That sucks. Those are such unique bikes...how would one fence them?

mhespenheide
09-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Is there a smiley/emoji/icon for broken heart?

I would counter-argue that, on a certain level, they're not "just things". You've invested time and emotion into them. Yes, they're physical objects and in that sense replaceable. But if my Bianchi gets stolen, I literally can't replace it because it's my first good bicycle. I may be able to buy a second-hand Bianchi that's the same model (and likely in better shape), but it's not the one that I put miles and miles and miles into.

tumbler
09-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Very sorry to hear this. We'll keep an eye out for those and hopefully these pieces of $@#! get caught. Do you have renters or homeowners insurance that will cover this?

Since you mentioned that this has happened before, how are they getting into the garage? Was the door temporarily open or are they physically breaking in? I worry about this constantly since SF has a serious property crime problem (a "city of thieves" as my wife calls it).

ultraman6970
09-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Those two bikes are recognizable, frames gonna have to show up somewhere.

Hope you find them soon.

ultraman6970
09-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Garages is something people needs to start locking from the inside, we don't use ours and the garage has two locks form the inside, no matter how much you pull that door, it wont go anywhere. Even if you get inside of the house using any other door, the dogs are not going to be too happy to see you moving around either.

And even if the sucker avoid the dogs somehow, the guy needs to open the door from the house to the garage, that door has 3 locks and a metal frame, only 2 people know where the keys are. The only way to open that door is maybe using a chainsaw because there is no way to kick that door down w/o braking your shoulder 1st.

Very sorry to hear this. We'll keep an eye out for those and hopefully these pieces of $@#! get caught. Do you have renters or homeowners insurance that will cover this?

Since you mentioned that this has happened before, how are they getting into the garage? Was the door temporarily open or are they physically breaking in? I worry about this constantly since SF has a serious property crime problem (a "city of thieves" as my wife calls it).

velotrack
09-19-2016, 06:29 PM
Hearing things like this breaks my heart. Screw thieves.

Fatty
09-19-2016, 06:30 PM
That's just horrible news. Horrible. Sorry Dude. :(

fthefox
09-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Will keep my eyes open on the Net. We managed to recover stolen bikes locally in pawn shops. Spread the word.

DRZRM
09-19-2016, 06:58 PM
Oh god, that is awful. So sorry, hope they turn up.

William
09-19-2016, 07:07 PM
I also shared this thread to the Paceline Facebook page...the more people that know...the more eyes out there looking out for them. I hope you get them back.

William

R3awak3n
09-19-2016, 07:11 PM
sorry to hear and I have loved that firefly for a long time (I know this doesn't make you feel better). However, there is no way a thieve is going to be able to sell those bikes, those 2 are so specific that it is going to be a hard sell.

They will surface and I think you will see them again.

kingpin75s
09-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Sick and a bit gutted I imagine. 2 cool and very unique bikes. Best of luck in your recovery efforts!

This is exactly why my wife and daughter have to put up with bikes in the way around the house. Until my garage is fully partitioned for depth in defense, the best ones stay inside, and "in the way".

Sorry for your loss sir!

Keith A
09-19-2016, 08:59 PM
I also shared this thread to the Paceline Facebook page...the more people that know...the more eyes out there looking out for them. I hope you get them back.Good move William...let's hope the OP gets his bikes back.

ColonelJLloyd
09-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Really sorry this happened to you. Hopefully putting out the info everywhere you can (including pawn shops and watching CL in nearby cities) you will find the bikes.

merlinmurph
09-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Ouch, an FF and a Bedford? And that FF is gorgeous.

Sorry to hear the scumbags got your stuff. I had a nice bike stolen in the late 70's and man, that hurt. I hate thieves.

I hope these bikes find their home again.

On the road in Livingston MT,
Murph

crashnburn
09-20-2016, 09:34 AM
This is really sad news.
The thieves know their stuff. (Must have been eyeing your bikes for some time)

Hopefully it pops up somewhere and somebody recognizes them.

Yeah, real scumbags!

Mzilliox
09-20-2016, 10:05 AM
my heart goes out to you, i still recal coming out of work to a cut lock with my prized at the time lemond zurich. made me sick.

if it were that gorgeous firefly instead of a lemond, i may be in a frenzied rage. sorry to hear, we will all keep our eyes open.

bikingshearer
09-20-2016, 03:12 PM
I fell both very :( and very :mad: for you. I am sending consoling thoughts to you and some very un-Buddha-like thoughts to the thief/thieves.

And while it may be "just stuff," it is stuff you put some heart and soul into. The fact that it isn't like losing loved ones does not mean it isn't a loss, and a damned painful one. Grieving will and should be involved. It's normal and healthy.

And it truly sucks that some a-hole decided to put you through it.

sfhbike
09-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Wow. Sorry for your loss. This is very disturbing. You might want to post something here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/onlineswap/

Almost 40k people on that page. Or at least watch it closely in case it turns up (in case the thieves are on there as well, you may not want to post).

What a nightmare. Going to be more vigilant with the locks at home.

bismo37
09-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Ugh. That sucks. I had 2 bikes stolen out of my car several years ago in a hotel parking lot in the middle of a long road trip. The one night I got lazy and didn't take the bikes out of the car and put them in the hotel room... gone plus smashed window to boot.

Do you mind telling me how they broke into the garage? I'm just wondering if we can all benefit from some additional security measures. Mine is locked from the inside and detached from the garage opener.

Do you guys also lock them up in your garages and basements?

George Ab
09-20-2016, 08:28 PM
Horrible. I am sad for your loss. Incredible amount of thought, time and effort went into that beautiful. Sad story.

moose8
09-20-2016, 08:36 PM
That stinks. That firefly is so unique I would imagine someone will see it at some point. I thought that bike was awesome ever since your first posted it. Thieves suck.

thenewguy11
09-20-2016, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the thoughts all. For some reason, I have an irrational optimism that the bikes will turn up.

Doubt my story will help anyone except for underlining the need for constant vigilance. Got home from a short ride Sunday morning and put my other road bike away in the garage - locked. Didn't lock the door on the detached garage and went to play with the kids. Spent the afternoon at the Broncos game and then went straight to the airport. In all that, the door was never locked, nor the alarm engaged for the house and garage. Woke up the next morning in Dallas and got a call from my wife letting me know what happened. Makes me sick.

sonicCows
09-20-2016, 11:38 PM

Cicli
09-21-2016, 03:29 AM
This makes me sad. I dont have bikes anywhere that nice but that live in the house for just this reason.
Truly a bummer. Hope you get them back.

thenewguy11
09-26-2017, 12:22 AM
I never thought I'd get to follow up on this, but I received the most incredible news today. My wife called and said that a gentleman called and said he had my Firefly. I immediately called him back and, sure enough, he has it!

He related that he happened across it at a yard sale last month and picked it up for $350 (bargained down from $700 the presumed thieving pricks were asking). He became curious about its provenance and did some research, came across this forum and posts on Instagram, called Firefly directly, and found a way to get a hold of us.

I'm speechless that he took the time and made the effort to return my bike. If he's reading this, I can only reiterate my thanks.

weaponsgrade
09-26-2017, 12:37 AM
What an awesome story! Glad it's back. Time to move it into the bedroom.

cadence90
09-26-2017, 12:38 AM
^
Wow, excellent news and good karma!

:beer:

How far is the bicycle from your house? The buyer thought that the sellers were the thieves? Why? But if so, perhaps the Bedford can be found as well?

Louis
09-26-2017, 12:39 AM
He related that he happened across it at a yard sale last month and picked it up for $350 (bargained down from $700 the presumed thieving pricks were asking).

Great news!

But given how long it's been since it was originally stolen, it seems unlikely to me that he bought the bike from the thieves who originally stole it - what are the odds that they would just sit on it all this time? I would imagine that their MO is to unload any stolen stuff as quickly as possible.

Enjoy your "new old bike," I hope it's still in good shape.

Edit: Looks like we had some cross-posting above. Several folks wondering the same thing I did.

bob heinatz
09-26-2017, 12:40 AM
Happy ending. Enjoy!

SlowPokePete
09-26-2017, 03:57 AM
Wow...made my day!

SPP

fignon's barber
09-26-2017, 06:16 AM
Wow. Great that you got your bike back, but even greater to know that there are decent folks out there that do the right thing like the guy who returned it.

thenewguy11
09-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Once I got over the shock about the Firefly, I actually wondered the same thing about the Bedford. The bike turned up not particularly far from my house - maybe 3 miles east or so. However, the Good Samaritan said he didn’t see another bike at the yard sale. He was in the area for work (he actually lives well south of me) and couldn’t pinpoint the location offhand, just the general area. I probably will cruise the area to see if there are more yard sales this weekend but don’t actually expect anything.

I am curious how the bike ended up there - perhaps its unfair to presume the guy who sold it stole it. But I’ll be content with getting it back. You know to top it off, the guy who found it happens to be a former bike mechanic. The bike was filthy and grimy and he tuned her up nice.

bobswire
09-26-2017, 09:22 AM
Once I got over the shock about the Firefly, I actually wondered the same thing about the Bedford. The bike turned up not particularly far from my house - maybe 3 miles east or so. However, the Good Samaritan said he didn’t see another bike at the yard sale. He was in the area for work (he actually lives well south of me) and couldn’t pinpoint the location offhand, just the general area. I probably will cruise the area to see if there are more yard sales this weekend but don’t actually expect anything.

I am curious how the bike ended up there - perhaps its unfair to presume the guy who sold it stole it. But I’ll be content with getting it back. You know to top it off, the guy who found it happens to be a former bike mechanic. The bike was filthy and grimy and he tuned her up nice.

At this point I'd not look a gift horse in the mouth though I'd be suspicious as all get out of the seller ( I think he did it). I'm really happy for you. Anyway,there is no way on hell will anyone steal one of my bikes without drawing attention to himself due to how I have them locked within the house (gated entranceway)or even my commuter in the garage (two sliding bolts and dead bolted).

kookmyers
09-26-2017, 01:44 PM
I am happy you got your bike back. I've had bikes stolen out of my garage. The most recent incident was when some homeless people took my BMC and an older Trek. I ended up getting it back from a good samaritan but it was stripped of its accessories. how is yours?

Sidenote: my GF actually saw the homeless people in her yard the night it happened but she was half asleep and thought they left so she was just relieved. The guy who bought the bike off the street from these people who were just walking them down the sidewalk described them and it was a match. We called the police when we saw them again but there was nothing they could do but talk to them. Oh well.

d_douglas
09-26-2017, 02:07 PM
I sometimes have the garage door open and all the bike booty just sitting out on display. I remind my two small kids to not leave the door open (they've forgotten and its been left open for hours unattended).

We live in a well-to-do neighbourhood (as scumbag renters!!) but just this weekend, a homeless guy showed up at our doorstep to ask if he could do yard work for pay - never seen that before where I live.

My heart goes out to people in that horrible position, but it raised my spidey senses about securing the doors, especially with little ones who don't think of these things.

Great news about the Firefly - amazing bike!

William
09-26-2017, 02:13 PM
Awesome news!!!:cool:

So glad you got your bike back.

William

William
09-26-2017, 02:16 PM
PS: Just wanted to remind the forum members about the "Stolen Bike" thread. Always report it here...you never know.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=142624

William

cnighbor1
09-26-2017, 05:31 PM
Local SF Bike rental solution to stolen bikes theirs
They add 100 very small clips that can be detected miles away
With so many no way thief can remove all
That will end thief of bikes and your Ferrari

dbnm
09-26-2017, 05:57 PM
I have a separate "sports equipment" insurance policy with State Farm for my Moots Vamoots RSL.

The coverage is $9500 and costs $110 a year.

No questions asked.