PDA

View Full Version : OT: DIY Kitchen Cabinet Door Replacement - Anyone done it?

4Rings6Stars
09-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Became a homeowner last week (yikes!) and am already undertaking my first real project. The house is move in ready and doesn't need anything, but we are doing some updates to the kitchen before we move in.

Easy stuff:
- Taking out wall between kitchen and living room
- Replacing stove and fridge
- Running gas line to stove and water line to new fridge

What's keeping me up at night:
- Cabinet refinishing / replacement

The cabinet frame / structure is real wood but at some point the previous owners had them "updated" with terrible vinyl veneers and new particle board / veneer doors. We are trying to decide between replacing the cabinets entirely or stripping the existing cabinets, replace the doors and drawer fronts and paint white. Replacing the doors with hardwood doors ordered online will be a little cheaper than replacing the cabinets with the off-the-shelf cabinets that are in our price range. Replacing the cabinets would potentially be easier, but then the end result would be crappy particle board cabinets and doors... Also should note, that either way we do it the existing counters (5 year old granite) are staying.

Has anybody replaced cabinet doors and done the work themselves? How did the process go, how were the results, would you do it again, etc.? I know installing and aligning them / installing hinges will likely be a PITA.

Would I be better off with the cheap Home Depot / Lowes in stock cabinets and they aren't that bad...?

Started stripping one cabinet:

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslertllm6.jpeg (http://s733.photobucket.com/user/telepciaka/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslertllm6.jpeg.html)

Starting to remove the wall:
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9p2rei1b.jpeg (http://s733.photobucket.com/user/telepciaka/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9p2rei1b.jpeg.html)

Birddog
09-19-2016, 09:35 AM
I'm a kitchen re modeler and what you want to do is probably not a good idea. From the pictures, you have built in place cabinets that were probably just nailed onto the studs and built out to the front. Shelves don't appear to be adjustable and backs appear to be drywall. New doors are lipstick on a pig IMO. Trying to get new cabinets to fall precisely under your granite tops would be a challenge too, but is doable although limiting. IMO, you should seriously think about new cabinets and an improved layout (DW in the corner should be avoided). Even medium priced cabinets at the big box store will have some nice modern features (slow/self closing drawers and doors for example). Previous owner did something that I hate to see, they put $3,000 worth of granite on top of $300 worth of cabinets.

This is easy for me to say, as I am helping you spend your money, but in the long run I think you and the wife will be far happier with a modern kitchen. If nothing else, get some estimates. You will also be chumming a stagnant economy. JMO and worth every penny.

ColonelJLloyd
09-19-2016, 09:39 AM
Subscribing.

I'm doing this right now; started this past weekend. Adding cabinets to the other side of the kitchen where there were none previously. Going with painted white cabinets as the existing ones are already painted. Currently getting a solid handle on price difference of painted "in stock" cabinets versus unfinished and hiring a painter to do this. Going to buy new Shaker style doors with European hinges for the existing cabinets to match the new. Currently getting a quote from a cabinet maker her in Kentucky versus ordering online. With either, I'm pretty sure I'll order them with hinges installed.

4Rings6Stars
09-19-2016, 09:57 AM
I'm a kitchen re modeler and what you want to do is probably not a good idea. From the pictures, you have built in place cabinets that were probably just nailed onto the studs and built out to the front. Shelves don't appear to be adjustable and backs appear to be drywall. New doors are lipstick on a pig IMO. Trying to get new cabinets to fall precisely under your granite tops would be a challenge too, but is doable although limiting. IMO, you should seriously think about new cabinets and an improved layout (DW in the corner should be avoided). Even medium priced cabinets at the big box store will have some nice modern features (slow/self closing drawers and doors for example). Previous owner did something that I hate to see, they put $3,000 worth of granite on top of $300 worth of cabinets.

This is easy for me to say, as I am helping you spend your money, but in the long run I think you and the wife will be far happier with a modern kitchen. If nothing else, get some estimates. You will also be chumming a stagnant economy. JMO and worth every penny.

All good points and I appreciate your taking the time to comment and share your expertise. What you suggest is the 10 year plan... For now, don't have the budget for it so the granite and existing layout has to stay. Smartest decision would be to deal with cabinets we have until we can afford to do it right... but my wife HATES the look of them as-is so something needs to be done. :rolleyes:

batman1425
09-19-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm with Birddog. Leave them as is for now as they are functional and save some $ to do it right. You will end up putting a lot of time and a fair bit money into a cosmetic change that won't improve the functionality of the space. I foresee you wanting to rip all this out and doing a major change 2-3 years down the line, regardless of what you do now.

Take the time to live in the space. Figure out what works for you, what doesn't, and make a list of priorities. You may find after living there that the layout sucks for your use and a total gut is a better approach rather than a more affordable refreshing. Spend smart money so that you only have to do it once and never undervalue your own time in the process.

Fatty
09-19-2016, 10:09 AM
About that wall you're taking out. Dumb question but is that a support wall?

And those cabinets don't look bad to me but I probably wouldn't want anyone critiquing mine. Having said that a friend painted their cabinets with a glossy off-white paint and I was amazed at how good they came out.

batman1425
09-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Looking at the pics more closely - I'm thinking a layout change is a good idea in the long run. Getting rid of that wall opens up the option of an island and gives you the flexibility to move your DW/Oven for a more functional space.

Birddog
09-19-2016, 10:16 AM
From the picture, it appears as though you have a total of 20 door and drawer fronts. That would cost about $1100 in my market for 5 piece doors and slab drawer fronts.Toss in another $150 for hidden euro style hinges with slow closing feature. The most important thing for you to do is to get the sizes of the doors correct. The old ones may have an odd dimension for the overlay and if you ordered the same that might be a problem. Just a heads up.

BTW, why are you stripping? If you are just going to repaint you may not have to strip. Also, what is concealed in the boxed in drywall that goes above sink? Inquiring minds want to know. That must have been some kind of add on.

Black Dog
09-19-2016, 10:32 AM
All good points and I appreciate your taking the time to comment and share your expertise. What you suggest is the 10 year plan... For now, don't have the budget for it so the granite and existing layout has to stay. Smartest decision would be to deal with cabinets we have until we can afford to do it right... but my wife HATES the look of them as-is so something needs to be done. :rolleyes:

Well if the ten year plan is to do it right, then you should just paint what you have.

4Rings6Stars
09-19-2016, 10:43 AM
I'm with Birddog. Leave them as is for now as they are functional and save some $ to do it right. You will end up putting a lot of time and a fair bit money into a cosmetic change that won't improve the functionality of the space....

Too late for that, already started! haha

About that wall you're taking out. Dumb question but is that a support wall?

And those cabinets don't look bad to me but I probably wouldn't want anyone critiquing mine. Having said that a friend painted their cabinets with a glossy off-white paint and I was amazed at how good they came out.

Had the structure looked at already and got the okay to take out that section of wall, just need to do some reinforcing in the attic. Original plant was to just paint them white, but the veneer was already starting to pull up in some places so and getting paint to adhere properly anyway was going to be challenging.

Looking at the pics more closely - I'm thinking a layout change is a good idea in the long run. Getting rid of that wall opens up the option of an island and gives you the flexibility to move your DW/Oven for a more functional space.

That's the eventual plan.

From the picture, it appears as though you have a total of 20 door and drawer fronts. That would cost about $1100 in my market for 5 piece doors and slab drawer fronts.Toss in another $150 for hidden euro style hinges with slow closing feature. The most important thing for you to do is to get the sizes of the doors correct. The old ones may have an odd dimension for the overlay and if you ordered the same that might be a problem. Just a heads up.

BTW, why are you stripping? If you are just going to repaint you may not have to strip. Also, what is concealed in the boxed in drywall that goes above sink? Inquiring minds want to know. That must have been some kind of add on.

Thanks for the comment about pricing and measuring. I'm seeing similar prices from various websites like cabinetnow.com. 17 doors and 7 drawer fronts (likely going to remove the small cabinets above the refrigerator). These websites offer to pre-drill for hinges and I think I will do that. What do you recommend for wood? I was leaning towards "paint grade" unfinished maple.

See comment above re. the veneer. I would rather strip and paint the wood than paint the vinyl veneer.

The box you're seeing is the end of the beam that runs across the kitchen and is painted white.

Ken Robb
09-19-2016, 10:51 AM
How about pulling off the ugly veneer and replacing it with better-looking veneer? Cutting/gluing Formica has to be easier/cheaper than getting new fronts.

We gutted our kitchen and installed custom cabinets but we were very tempted by the IKEA offerings. They have a design app available on-line so you can try different lay-outs and price the materials.

4Rings6Stars
09-19-2016, 01:38 PM
How about pulling off the ugly veneer and replacing it with better-looking veneer? Cutting/gluing Formica has to be easier/cheaper than getting new fronts.

We gutted our kitchen and installed custom cabinets but we were very tempted by the IKEA offerings. They have a design app available on-line so you can try different lay-outs and price the materials.

The veneer just seems really tacky to me (no pun intended) and I would rather strip and paint the wood than put more stickers on them.

Dead Man
09-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Freshly painted cabinets always look way better than you expect. If the boxes are good quality furniture grade plywood and in good shape, there's really no reason you can't just paint them and reuse them. New doors and drawer faces are a pretty typical budget kitchen remodel... why not do it? Would suck to break the slab.

And then you're really not out much if, indeed, you do decide to "do it right" in a few years and gut.

Ti Designs
09-19-2016, 01:59 PM
Having done pretty much that, there are pros and cons. First, having done it, I have to agree with Birddog on this one. I built perfect doors and perfect drawers, only to find the cabinet wasn't square or plum. I solved the problem by tilting the infeed table on my joiner to the face angle of the cabinets, but that brings me to my next point - you need to build yourself a wood shop. You're going to need a router table to make the cabinet doors, and you can't have that without some kick ass dust collection. You can always borrow the cutters from someone who's already done this (I live in Arlington, I work at a bike shop...). I built cabinet fronts with stainless steel fronts instead of raised panels. It's actually less work 'cause a sheet of 18 gauge stainless and a sheet of plywood fits into the slot perfectly, and while it only requires a good set of cutters, it can be used as an excuse to start the machine shop...

unterhausen
09-19-2016, 02:12 PM
that ridge in the ceiling must be a beam. My house is built with two beams down the center, one in the ceiling of the basement and one in the ceiling of the first floor. It's a bit of a pain in some ways, can't easily poke a hole in it for one thing.

I recently was looking at this. I think paint is a good option. My MIL had her cabinets refinished by "pros" and it came out looking horrible. We have solid wood doors, but the way they are made is not pleasing. For some reason, they wanted them to look thinner, so they are inset halfway into the cabinets and it makes them look cheap. My daughter was lobbying to stain them darker, I just thought it probably wouldn't come out that well and we are really tired of having the kitchen torn up already.

Our house was built when they still were using soffits and short cabinets. I would really love to get rid of the soffits, but when I looked at doing that it would require massive relocation of plumbing, and a lot of rewiring as well. The electricians ran the wires diagonally through any space available to them, so there are 20 wires that would have to be redone.

ColonelJLloyd
09-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Having done pretty much that, there are pros and cons. First, having done it, I have to agree with Birddog on this one. I built perfect doors and perfect drawers, only to find the cabinet wasn't square or plum. I solved the problem by tilting the infeed table on my joiner to the face angle of the cabinets, but that brings me to my next point - you need to build yourself a wood shop. You're going to need a router table to make the cabinet doors, and you can't have that without some kick ass dust collection. You can always borrow the cutters from someone who's already done this (I live in Arlington, I work at a bike shop...). I built cabinet fronts with stainless steel fronts instead of raised panels. It's actually less work 'cause a sheet of 18 gauge stainless and a sheet of plywood fits into the slot perfectly, and while it only requires a good set of cutters, it can be used as an excuse to start the machine shop...

Pretty sure we're talking about ordering custom doors, not building them yourself.

I'm doing this right now and since I'm going with white painted, solid wood Shaker www.cabinetdoorworld.com is the best place I'm finding. And for $10/door they bore and install hinges.

pdmtong
09-19-2016, 02:33 PM

^this

I am not a remodeler but I've worked enough with existing to know that when you start with lousy construction as a base, its not a good use of money to try and build off of that. besides the money, your cost is time. and time you can never get back.

unterhausen
09-19-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm getting lobbying for new counter tops too. I just don't see the payback on that. Then again, if a couple of thousand $ saves me from buying a new house, then it's money well spent. I'd rather just refresh the formica with something that's not yellow. Why was that ever in style? I've seen it in a number of houses

Birddog
09-19-2016, 06:41 PM
Our house was built when they still were using soffits and short cabinets. I would really love to get rid of the soffits, but when I looked at doing that it would require massive relocation of plumbing, and a lot of rewiring as well. The electricians ran the wires diagonally through any space available to them, so there are 20 wires that would have to be redone

I thought they only did that here in Central OK, I run up against it all the time. there is no short cut easy solution for that problem. Your uppers are probably 30" tall, maybe 33" if they were installed at 51" off the floor (standard is 54"). People that put in taller uppers thinking they get practical usable space are deluding themselves. The upper shelf on cabinets over 36" tall requires a step stool to utilize. I always tell customers that if they need that much space for kitchen stuff, what they really need is a garage sale. Sometimes I get a cold stare with that line, but most people acknowledge that they really don't need that much kitchen junk. If you want taller uppers for the "look", well that's different, but people still go ahead and cram stuff they don't need into the extra space.

weisan
09-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Ring pal, this couple can teach you all about cabinets... And MORE!!!
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rebuilding-a-class-a-motorhome-scamper-the-smashed-camper.1169693/

unterhausen
09-19-2016, 07:14 PM
I thought they only did that here in Central OK, I run up against it all the time. there is no short cut easy solution for that problem. Judging by pinterest, the soffit problem is endemic.
Our previous house had tall cabinets, and I liked the look a lot better. The real problem with the soffits is that it makes the kitchen look a lot smaller than it is. If they just went straight up from the tops of the cabinets, it would be fine, but I guess they thought the width of the soffits should match the pantry and oven cabinets. I would love it if there was open space above them. I took out the cabinet and soffit over the peninsula, which opened things up a lot. So crisis averted for now. We'll probably redo the whole thing eventually, and then I'll suck it up and rewire and re-plumb.

kingpin75s
09-19-2016, 07:50 PM
You're going to need a router table to make the cabinet doors

This is the one thing you will need. I recommend a Phenolic Table top as best balance of bang for the buck and durability. Find a bit set with detail that you like or that is a fit with your decor and go with it.

Ken Robb
09-19-2016, 07:57 PM
I'm getting lobbying for new counter tops too. I just don't see the payback on that. Then again, if a couple of thousand $ saves me from buying a new house, then it's money well spent. I'd rather just refresh the formica with something that's not yellow. Why was that ever in style? I've seen it in a number of houses

I painted dark brown cabinets yellow MANY years ago. It was a similar situation. I had used most of my cash to assume a very low interest rate VA loan so brightening the DARK kitchen was necessarily done on the cheap. We got new vinyl flooring to cover dark brown tile too. My wife had spent a long time in a hospital recovering from a broken neck and wouldn't consider anything white because it reminded her of her hospital room. I didn't hate the yellow cabinets but when they got any chips in the paint the dark brown finish underneath was very obvious.

wc1934
09-19-2016, 08:13 PM

This.

And you should go to Home Depot and get a quote about a redesign - some of the cabinets by Martha Stewart are pretty decent.

unterhausen
09-19-2016, 09:01 PM
you people that are urging the OP to buy a router table are evil, or divorce lawyers. Probably repeating myself there somehow. What a rabbit hole that would be. I'm a pretty serious woodworker, and kitchen DIY not worth the very minimal savings given the high likelihood of marital strife..

Buying doors for a self install is about as close as I would get to diy'ing a kitchen. No way I would buy cabinets to install, I would get full service at that point.

On a semi-related note, I used to go to the wood shop at the Air Force Base I was stationed at. The guy who ran the place used to let his friends use the shop. One of them was a young guy that was apparently making doors for a kitchen using the shaper. At least he was, until he shot the first panel across the room. Scary. Wood shrapnel everywhere. I always wondered how that went when he told the wife that she wasn't getting a new kitchen. Hopefully he didn't rip the old one out first. A co-worker once cut off a very useful part of his hand with a shaper. He says he wishes that he didn't have it reattached. One tool I would never own, tablesaw is bad enough. Of course, a router table isn't nearly as dangerous unless you put a 4" dia cutter on there and then you're really asking for it.

paredown
09-19-2016, 09:23 PM
I agree with the 'lipstick on a pig' sentiments. I'd paint and use rather than replace doors.

If you haven't thought about it, you might consider getting used cabinets--You still need the redesign, and some skills, but you can save quite a bit--we have a local supplier who sells used and donates the proceeds to addiction charities:
http://greendemolitions.com/

They will ship.

Local Habitat ReStores also sell used kitchens.

Another choice would be Ikea--cheaper than big box, and you can rely on the in-store design service.

We (I) redid our kitchen on a non-existent budget, and did it with a combination of used cabinets and Ikea cabinets to fill in. People who see it for the first time have no idea that it was a bargain project.

alancw3
09-20-2016, 03:50 AM
recently saw this "ask this old house" episode on a new paint for kitchen cabinets which requires much less prep work. could be an interim solution until being able to do a complete cabinet upgrade:

[url]https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-to-update-kitchen-paint[/url

Tandem Rider
09-20-2016, 06:00 AM
I wouldn't spend much money or time on the existing cabs, they look to me like site builts. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, just that likely nothing is standard or square, new doors and drawer faces could be painful. I would give them a coat of paint, live with it for a few years, figure out what works for the Stars family, and then get what you actually need.

You have a bunch of work in front of you patching drywall and floors after rerouting wiring and mechanicals. Watch out for project creep, the old "while we're at it, we might as well ____". You still need to pack and move.

Congratulations and welcome to the world of home ownership! :beer:

smontanaro
09-20-2016, 08:30 AM
That picture of the partially removed wall reminds me of the time I came home from work (probably mid-80s) to find (much to my surprise) that my wife had removed the wall between the mud room and the kitchen. :eek: I have this mental picture of her grinning from ear to ear. (No worries. She'd consulted with her architect father and determined it wasn't load-bearing.) That was more-or-less the beginning of many home remodeling/renovation/upgrade projects. Ellen is still going strong, now nearing the finish of a three-flat redo here in Evanston, and midway through a redo of a commercial building in South Haven, MI. Her dad's gone now (RIP), but one brother is an architect, another is a contractor, we have three sons and 10 nephews, and I'm cheap labor, so she has plenty of help.

carpediemracing
09-20-2016, 09:37 AM
I think it's a bit off from the OP's situation but as far as painting, if you get good paint and your cabinets are okay it looks pretty good and it's durable.

We painted our (all wood) cabinet doors and drawer faces, plus the veneer faced cabinets. They were wood colored with gold colored pulls.

We followed Young House Love's steps. 1 coat primer, 3 top coats. I think we spent $100?, $56 on 1 gal paint, $35 on (30) pulls, and the rest on sandpaper/tape/patching-stuff. We already had brushes/rollers and primer. We have maybe 1/3 gal left of the paint.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13445627_10154299356428824_4457524575581353982_n.j pg?oh=8921909058629a28be0a164b905659ab&oe=587E1DE4

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13428506_10154299356433824_8869678708737963392_n.j pg?oh=358255fd48cf087d5ba7153a598bd7cc&oe=5878ACD7

4Rings6Stars
09-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all of the comments.

I looked more into getting new cabinets, but it was going to be too expensive and too difficult to get new cabinets to work with the existing granite. Those who said the cabinets look like non-standard built ins are correct--each one is a different width. Really didn't want to paint over the peeling veneers so I stripped them all off.

I ordered custom maple doors with soft close Euro hinges today to fit each unique measurement. I'm going to try to reuse the drawer fronts.

This is as far as I got last night. Hoping to take out the rest of the wall tonight and start cleaning / priming the cabinet frames. Doors should arrive in 10 days or so.

Now trying to decide if I I'll go with oil based or latex paint and if I will do a poly coat... Spent some time on various wood working forums on the train home tonight and got lots of pros and cons for each.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8buq51h3.jpeg (http://s733.photobucket.com/user/telepciaka/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8buq51h3.jpeg.html)
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsrdvyqcza.jpeg (http://s733.photobucket.com/user/telepciaka/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsrdvyqcza.jpeg.html)

.RJ
09-21-2016, 07:57 AM
Where did you order the doors from?

4Rings6Stars
09-21-2016, 08:39 AM
Where did you order the doors from?

Cabinetnow.com

Lots of similar sites but these guys seemed to be the fastest to deliver and have good communication. Prices were in line win the others too.

Birddog
09-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Most metro areas of a decent size should have 2 or 3 cabinet door manufacturers. They usually sell to the public as well as smaller cabinet shops. Just google it up or look in the antiquated "yellow pages". The only drawback is that they might not bore for hinges.

4Rings6Stars
10-26-2016, 10:39 AM
A bit delayed on the update to this thread, but I thought I would circle back and let you know how this turned out.

Still need to do some finishing touches (touch up paint behind stove / replace stove with gas, paint ceiling) but it's almost there and couldn't be happier.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/kitchen%20IMG_0784_zpstjc4mj0y.jpg (http://s733.photobucket.com/user/telepciaka/media/kitchen%20IMG_0784_zpstjc4mj0y.jpg.html)

ColonelJLloyd
10-26-2016, 10:48 AM
Very nice!

In my case, it ultimately made more sense to buy new cabinets complete with doors and updated hinges/slides. The addition of more drawers versus doors was another factor that tipped the scales.

Fatty
10-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Good job. Looks real nice.

paredown
10-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Good job. Looks real nice.
x2--very nice job.

If you can't tell that anyone had it apart, then you've done a good job!

SpokeValley
10-26-2016, 02:13 PM
Ring pal, this couple can teach you all about cabinets... And MORE!!!
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rebuilding-a-class-a-motorhome-scamper-the-smashed-camper.1169693/

WOW! Now that's a project!:eek:

Thanks for sharing, Weisan!

OtayBW
10-26-2016, 05:29 PM
Nice! If you're happy with the layout of the kitchen and all it needs is a face-lift (literally), then why not? Looks great!

4Rings6Stars
10-26-2016, 10:52 PM
Nice! If you're happy with the layout of the kitchen and all it needs is a face-lift (literally), then why not? Looks great!

Absolutely. Long term we will probably redo the whole thing, but this should last us many years. All said and done, we spent about $1600 (not including the fridge!) to take out the wall / add a new beam in the attic, add LED recessed lights and go from particle board doors and drawers with veneer stickers to full maple with nice soft close hinges. Took several late nights and a few weekends, but was definitely worth it and we are thrilled with the results.

ColonelJLloyd
10-26-2016, 10:58 PM
Absolutely. Long term we will probably redo the whole thing, but this should last us many years. All said and done, we spent about $1600 (not including the fridge!) to take out the wall / add a new beam in the attic, add LED recessed lights and go from particle board doors and drawers with veneer stickers to full maple with nice soft close hinges. Took several late nights and a few weekends, but was definitely worth it and we are thrilled with the results.

Wow. You killed it, man!

alancw3
10-27-2016, 02:37 AM
great job! one question? are you going to put doors on the two openings over the refrigerator?

vav
10-27-2016, 06:58 AM
Wow! That kitchen looks very much like mine ;)

4Rings6Stars
10-27-2016, 08:36 PM
great job! one question? are you going to put doors on the two openings over the refrigerator?

Probably. When I ordered the doors we were planning on tearing those doors out entirely to make room for a bigger fridge, but we were able to just chop several inches off instead of removing them entirely to fit a standard 70" fridge.

4Rings6Stars
10-27-2016, 08:38 PM
Wow! That kitchen looks very much like mine ;)

Very similar!

We almost went with those exact door pulls too...

Once we out an island in, a light fixture above the sink and doors above the fridge they will look identical!