PDA

View Full Version : Deer season - BE CAREFUL out there!

Bruce K
09-18-2016, 06:40 PM
A buddy of mine is now nursing broken ribs, bruises, and road rash from a deer hit.

Early morning group ride. Fast downhill on the point of the group when a deer jumped out and t-boned him. No warning, no noises.

He needs a new bike too.

Early mornings around sunrise and evenings around sunset

Be careful out there

BK

ripvanrando
09-18-2016, 06:45 PM
It is bad now. Early rut this year?

Sorry to hear about your buddy.

weisan
09-18-2016, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reminder Bruce pal. When we were living in Australia a few years ago, cyclists and motorists alike were warned of road surprise of a different kind:

http://animalia-life.com/data_images/kangaroo/kangaroo1.jpg

MattTuck
09-18-2016, 07:21 PM
I've had many encounters with deer, but none that close. I have had several very close calls with wild turkeys...

djg21
09-18-2016, 07:50 PM
A buddy of mine is now nursing broken ribs, bruises, and road rash from a deer hit.

Early morning group ride. Fast downhill on the point of the group when a deer jumped out and t-boned him. No warning, no noises.

He needs a new bike too.

Be careful out there

BK

Freddie?

Bruce K
09-18-2016, 08:12 PM
You know Freddie? :eek::banana::rolleyes:

And yes, weisan. When we were driving the Prince's Highway from The Great Ocean road heading into Adelaide we saw 16 dead kangaroos, 6 dead wallabies, plus I nearly hit one, and a dead wombat.

Wildlife is fun to see but.....

BK

Dead Man
09-18-2016, 08:20 PM
I've had many encounters with deer, but none that close. I have had several very close calls with wild turkeys...

I had a close encounter with a turkey last fall.... Was crazy. I didn't even know we had turkeys around here

Those things are freaken huge too. Missed it b about 6" descending. Would have been a really bad day for both of us.

rwsaunders
09-18-2016, 11:14 PM
We had an LBS owner t-boned by a deer several years ago. He was ko'd, broke some bones, suffered a concussion and he was wearing a neck brace for a while. He claims that he never saw the deer and he just remembers waking up in an ambulance.

YesNdeed
09-18-2016, 11:51 PM
BK

This might make my bad habit of getting out for long rides at around 9 or 10 on my days off more rewarding than I thought. But, that doesn't eliminate the risk completely. Driving, I have had many close encounters, most at night, not far from the the OP's location (SW CT), but even out here in the high desert, midday deer sightings are not uncommon. I even locked up my rear wheel just this Thursday as a coyote crossed close in front of me, at around 11am.

I arrange my routes carefully to avoid as much car traffic as possible, but I don't understand the logistics of deer season. What else would one do to be careful?

ripvanrando
09-19-2016, 04:42 AM
I arrange my routes carefully to avoid as much car traffic as possible, but I don't understand the logistics of deer season. What else would one do to be careful?

I'm am a hunter. Deer are fairly predictable. They tend to cross roads in the same places. They lay down hidden in the afternoon getting up at dusk to eat. They will be moving from dense undergrowth towards their food source (grass, corn, apples, acorns, leaves, shrubs, your wife's flowers, etc.). Once they get to where they are going and eating your bushes, the risk of being hit by one is lower. They usually are returning to bed down just before sunrise. They will eat again midday although bucks tend to be more nocturnal except during the rut when the ladies are in heat so to speak and then, the males (bucks) can appear to be drunk or high.

Especially during this time of year, if I'm riding at dawn or dusk I try to stick to routes that I know and I keep my eyes out for deer. If I see one, I just yell, "Hey" and they will take off. If I ride up to them silently, they will bolt and sometimes their direction of travel is unpredictable. Basically I know where the deer tend to live because I see them all the time. Also, If I hear a shot gun blast, I slow down for obvious reasons.

We have a ton of deer here and this is one reason I use the bike lights that I use.

2LeftCleats
09-19-2016, 05:43 AM
We have country deer and city deer. When I ride or drive in the country I scan constantly for kamikaze squirrels and deer. Whenever I see one deer cross the road I slow because there's often a couple of her young behind.

The city deer are fearless. They graze along the side of busy streets, and stand their ground if you approach. They'll chase dogs away. But they seem smarter about crossing streets, though they haven't figured out how to push the crosswalk buttons.

eippo1
09-19-2016, 08:08 AM
I had a close encounter with a turkey last fall.... Was crazy. I didn't even know we had turkeys around here

Those things are freaken huge too. Missed it b about 6" descending. Would have been a really bad day for both of us.

I descended into a pack of them on Grace Road in Woburn. They were right at the apex of the curve and took off just as I came through. Got a wing in the face, but all was good except for the mouthful of feathers.

djg21
09-19-2016, 07:38 PM
You know Freddie? :eek::banana::rolleyes:

And yes, weisan. When we were driving the Prince's Highway from The Great Ocean road heading into Adelaide we saw 16 dead kangaroos, 6 dead wallabies, plus I nearly hit one, and a dead wombat.

Wildlife is fun to see but.....

BK

I met Freddy over a decade ago skiing at Stowe. My wife and I were on our telemark gear and jumped into the trees. Freddy followed, and we spent an afternoon skiing together. We ended up keeping in touch via Facebook. We've never gotten to ride together. I saw his post on Facebook. It's a small community! I'm glad to hear he's OK.

Bruce K
09-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Yes, he is feeling much better today as you may have seen.

I used to work out at PJ's club and rode with Freddy for years.

I need to get back to that group.

Pretty funny

BK

Ken Robb
09-19-2016, 07:50 PM
And deer often move together so if you see one you shouldn't be surprised to see others. The first one to cross the road may be the leader with others close behind.

gdw
09-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Actually the first ones to cross roads are does. The dominant buck follows if they cross safely.

weisan
09-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Actually the first ones to cross roads are does. The dominant buck follows if they cross safely.

Wow, I didn't know that modern-day leadership has been employed within the deer pack. :D

djg21
09-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Yes, he is feeling much better today as you may have seen.

I used to work out at PJ's club and rode with Freddy for years.

I need to get back to that group.

Pretty funny

BK

Maybe once he's mended talk him into a road trip?

rustychisel
09-19-2016, 08:16 PM
Hope your buddy heals up ok, Bruce.

Slightly off topic. FTT and I were on the Great Ocean Road 9 days ago, just as the rain was coming in. He was riding the Amy Gillette Gran Fondo and I was, errm, providing 'logistical support'. Fantastic riding, but now the road is cut by rockfalls and slumps all along the length we rode... basically Skenes creek to Lorne.

staggerwing
09-19-2016, 08:25 PM
The city deer are fearless. They graze along the side of busy streets, and stand their ground if you approach. They'll chase dogs away. But they seem smarter about crossing streets, though they haven't figured out how to push the crosswalk buttons.

Yah, just a little east of you in urban Cinci, and the urban deer are out at all hours. Encountered one on the ride home today around 5:45pm. But, as you note, they don't tend to spook as easily. City folk think they're kinda cute, as they keep replanting their decorative gardens. I've heard more than one refer to hostas as 'deer candy."

unterhausen
09-19-2016, 08:33 PM
nothing I hate worse than seeing a single deer. "Where are the others?" you ask yourself. Never seen a buck in this area. Saw one at night in New Jersey, scared the heck out of me as I flashed by him. I was going about 40mph. Fortunately, he stayed put a couple of feet off the road.

Kobe
09-20-2016, 07:40 AM
Squirrels this time of year are unpredictable too, scurrying around loading up on nuts. One bounced off my front wheel and ran away on Sunday. It would not have been pretty if his head went through the spokes.