PDA

View Full Version : Sad news from Paraolympics

Bruce K
09-17-2016, 07:29 PM
An Iranian cyclist died during the road race in Rio.

Apparently there was some sort of crash and the 48 year-old was treated at the scene and transported to a local hospital.

It is reported he had a heart attack and died while on route to the hospital.

Details in the report i saw were pretty slim.

Very sad day for sports, for cycling, and especially paraolympic sports.

BK

gasman
09-17-2016, 08:11 PM
Here's a link. http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/09/news/road/iranian-paralympic-cyclist-dies-crash_420934

Very sad indeed.

Shortsocks
09-17-2016, 08:40 PM
Man.

This is super sad to hear. I actually got to meet him in Tehran during the summer of 2012. We actually sat/stood in the back of a Bike shop, behind a curtain/fake wall and watched Wiggin's win the Tour on a super illegal Satelite Cable feed into the bike shop.

We were all yelling and shouting...I drove 3 hours in The most horrible scary traffic I've ever driven in to go to that bike shop...this really sucks. He was, as well as everyone I got to hang out that day, a SUPER nice guy. Super down to earth.

We were all saying that the chances of An Iranian winning the Tour was about as much as a long shot as the English winning a Tour. Laughing loving every minute of it, knowing that we would have been in some serious SH*T if they caught us watching the Tour in the back area of a Bike shop.

Good memories.
All the love to his family. Ride safe bud.

MattTuck
09-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Sad news, indeed. Was this the same course they used for the Olympics RR? that caused so many crashes?

sitzmark
09-17-2016, 09:16 PM
Yes/No. The section where Annemiek was injured was eliminated.
Sad news, indeed. Was this the same course they used for the Olympics RR? that caused so many crashes?