PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a shoe reccomendation

cinema
09-17-2016, 09:52 AM
I have some Giros and I've come to accept the toe box is much too wide for me. On long climbs and rides over 20 miles I claw my feet inside the shoe, and I'd also like a little more arch support.

So I'm looking for an SPD shoe that doesn't look silly on a road bike for narrowish feet, small-medium arch support, and a smaller toe box than the giros

TIA guys/gals

Jeff Borisch
09-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Macaroon suggested Mavic in this thread. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=193333&page=2

Their XC shoes don't look like hiking boots.

bobswire
09-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Mavic Crissride SL Elite https://www.campmor.com/c/mavic-crossride-sl-elite-mtb-cycling-shoe-mens
plus use CAMPMOR10 for an added 10% Off

I like these shoes but they fit much too narrow for my feet but I found a different version of this shoe in maxi fit.

macaroon
09-17-2016, 10:26 AM
I use the Sidi Drako; looks about as much like a road shoe as you can get, without being a road shoe.

Immensely stiff and fairly narrow; at least narrower and less volumous than the Giro shoes I've had.

If you want arch support; buy some insoles.

guido
09-17-2016, 10:29 AM
I have low volume-ish feet and really like the normal width Lake M237 for spd all road use. They are mostly real leather with enough mesh to prevent overheating. The are quite comfortable to walk in, but offer great support and stiffness for efficient power transfer. They are a simple black shoe with modest logos. I like the dual Boa adjustment system. much faster and easier to tighten/adjust/release than any other system I have used. The provided insole is ok but I prefer the Specialized. If you like some arch support try the Blue ones.

binouye
09-17-2016, 12:51 PM
I 2nd the Sidi Drako / Dragon recommendation. The upper is identical to the Ergo road models, just different sole, which still works well for road. Not as stiff as dedicated road shoes, but fine and sooo much easier to walk in. I use them with a600 pedals for road bikes.

cinema
09-17-2016, 03:21 PM
i have tried on the dragons and the fit is amazing. they are just a bit out of my price range. i'm not a fan of mavic company/customer support/quality. i've found a good deal on the lake's so i may try them out

otherwise the dragon is definitely up there the fit is incredible. if i remember i think i ran out of slack in the closure mechanism which is the only thing keeping me from them aside from price, they don't get 100% tight at the top. the dominators were too wide

I need lower volume/regular to narrow fit. I am 'clawing' my feet, like curling them up to take up space inside the toe box of my giros. after an hour it gets really uncomfortable, i may just have to stack the toebox inside of whatever shoes i get with some shims

clawhammer
09-17-2016, 05:24 PM
If you want arch support; buy some insoles.

This. I have a pair of orthotics that I wear with my everyday shoes, and I just pull them out and put them in my Giros. When I first got clipless pedals and shoes, it took a couple of rides for my feet to get used to the shoes and to get the cleat position dialed in, but since then I've never had an arch support problem.

ultraman6970
09-17-2016, 05:35 PM
You have the ideal foot for anytihng in the market, if you need more arch support just add something like sole insoles. In a matter of fact if the giro shoe is too wide why dont you swap the insole for the thick Sole ones (blue in color), put them in the oven and probably thats all you need you know.

cinema
09-17-2016, 06:30 PM
mainly the issue is every shoe i try is too voluminous/wide. i have some spec insoles that, if i double up on (literally put two insoles on top of each other) while wearing thick socks, fix the issue for the most part on my giros, but the footbed feels awkward.

seems i've got a very low forefoot

Lewis Moon
09-17-2016, 06:52 PM
I 2nd the Sidi Drako / Dragon recommendation. The upper is identical to the Ergo road models, just different sole, which still works well for road. Not as stiff as dedicated road shoes, but fine and sooo much easier to walk in. I use them with a600 pedals for road bikes.

Third.

sparky33
09-17-2016, 07:06 PM
I have low volume-ish feet and really like the normal width Lake M237 for spd all road use. They are mostly real leather with enough mesh to prevent overheating. The are quite comfortable to walk in, but offer great support and stiffness for efficient power transfer. They are a simple black shoe with modest logos. I like the dual Boa adjustment system. much faster and easier to tighten/adjust/release than any other system I have used. The provided insole is ok but I prefer the Specialized. If you like some arch support try the Blue ones.

Just landed some Lake MX237s to replace my ancient Specialized Pro carbon shoes. Agree on above comments. The Lakes have a supple leather upper with a stiff carbon sole. The double Boa works well.

These are a good deal nicer than old or new Specialized shoes. Though I'll be using the blue Spec insoles with the Lakes.

dustyrider
09-17-2016, 07:49 PM
Have you tried shimano shoes? They've been good for me for a long time!

Louis
09-17-2016, 08:15 PM
i have tried on the dragons and the fit is amazing. they are just a bit out of my price range.

IMO for some cycling-related areas there is no upper limit on price when when it comes to comfort and lack of pain. At the top of my list I'd put: 1) knees, 2) saddle, and 3) shoes.

macaroon
09-18-2016, 03:37 AM

THe Dragon/Drako use a completely different sole. The Dragon has a fair bit more give. The Drako feels much like a Sidi road shoe IMO.

cinema
09-23-2016, 02:34 PM
So thanks all, I settled on the sidis. The lakes were super huge but i did try them on from competitive cyclist, where they were on sale. went back immediately unfortunately.

the sidis were the narrowest I found but I still needed my spec insole to take up volume inside. I am still having a problem with too much forefoot volume inside the shoe. is this when i resort to shimming/wedges?

veggieburger
09-24-2016, 07:58 PM
So thanks all, I settled on the sidis. The lakes were super huge but i did try them on from competitive cyclist, where they were on sale. went back immediately unfortunately.

the sidis were the narrowest I found but I still needed my spec insole to take up volume inside. I am still having a problem with too much forefoot volume inside the shoe. is this when i resort to shimming/wedges?

Gaerne shoes...tough to find, but durable and narrow.

uber
09-24-2016, 08:43 PM
Rocket 7. Sized similar to Giro, but with a narrower toe box.