PDA

View Full Version : Chain v chainring wear

Tickdoc
09-16-2016, 07:55 PM
Stupid question time.

What does a worn out chain feel like v a worn out Chainring?

oldpotatoe
09-17-2016, 05:42 AM
Stupid question time.

What does a worn out chain feel like v a worn out Chainring?

A chain is worn when you put on a new cogset and it skips under pedal pressure. A worn CR makes noise..

OBTW-I think I found a rim in the Netherlands..waiting for it to arrive..hope it matches.

Tickdoc
09-17-2016, 06:52 AM
A chain is worn when you put on a new cogset and it skips under pedal pressure. A worn CR makes noise..

OBTW-I think I found a rim in the Netherlands..waiting for it to arrive..hope it matches.

Ok, that helps and thanks for the response. Trying to diagnose my own drivetrain problems.

I've got a certain feeling under power that is like a slip. Not a skip, but a definite movement at certain loads. Doesn't happen all the time, just under power. I know it is not the BB as that has been replaced with a beautiful Phil unit.

But, I just happened to notice that the chainring is pretty worn in places....no broken teeth, just worn.

I think I'll start with a chain and see what happens.

Thanks again and no rush on wheels. I appreciate knowing they are going to be done right.:beer:

oldpotatoe
09-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Ok, that helps and thanks for the response. Trying to diagnose my own drivetrain problems.

I've got a certain feeling under power that is like a slip. Not a skip, but a definite movement at certain loads. Doesn't happen all the time, just under power. I know it is not the BB as that has been replaced with a beautiful Phil unit.

But, I just happened to notice that the chainring is pretty worn in places....no broken teeth, just worn.

I think I'll start with a chain and see what happens.

Thanks again and no rush on wheels. I appreciate knowing they are going to be done right.:beer:

Freewheel or cogset? Maybe a freehub pawl issue or a loose cog on the freewheel, if it's a freewheel. Could be chainring but if that worn, usually noisy..that goes away when you shft chainrings, unless they are both worn.

regularguy412
09-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Worn cleat(s)? Mebbe?

Mike in AR:beer:

bigbill
09-17-2016, 08:57 AM
I know my chainrings are worn on one of my bikes. It has campy 11 and when I'm on the small ring and center cog, it's noisy like I need to adjust the RD. I'm assuming it's noisy in that gear because it's essentially a straight driveline and any other cogs have the chain pulling at a slight angle which cuts down the noise. But that's just a theory.

shovelhd
09-17-2016, 10:05 AM
They tend to be noisy even when clean. Shifting may be a little wonky.

It's easy to spot a worn chainring. The leading edges of the teeth, the part that contacts the chain, will not be symmetrical with the trailing edges. One or more of them may be worn to the point where you can see the difference, a condition known as "hooked". If one or more of the teeth are hooked, the chainring is on its last legs. It can still be ridden until it breaks, but that's not a great idea if you care about the bike and your teeth.