PDA

View Full Version : measuring cheek bones

buddybikes
09-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Looking for realistic guidelines for measuring cheekbones without hitting my specialized store (not interested in buying). I sat on aluminum foil and see the indents, but don't know where to measure...if I go center to center I come out with one pretty wide butt bones.

Currently have a Terry Fly that is ok, but want something else now.

thx

CampyorBust
09-16-2016, 06:08 PM
Looking for realistic guidelines for measuring cheekbones without hitting my specialized store (not interested in buying). I sat on aluminum foil and see the indents, but don't know where to measure...if I go center to center I come out with one pretty wide butt bones.

Currently have a Terry Fly that is ok, but want something else now.

thx

Who says you have to buy? Go measure your butt and buy some lube or cables!

I ride a saddle wider than someone my size "should", so there is not a set universal standard, everyone is different. I ended up buying from the shop that measured my butt, they were willing to give me a break on the price and allowed me to try a few different ones, I was happy to give them business. In the end they hit the nail right on the head, i bought the first saddle.

I suppose you can lather some lotion on a board and place it pretty low so only your sit bone areas touch. Just spit ballin.

Macadamia
09-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Go measure your butt and buy some lube

post of the year here

pdmtong
09-16-2016, 06:44 PM
the specialized ass-o-meter has me at a 155 but I love my 130 arione cx all day long...like 100/10,000 all day long.

figuring out a saddle that works has to be one of the most maddening aspect in the way of a comfortable ride experience

Louis
09-16-2016, 06:48 PM
I sat on aluminum foil and see the indents, but don't know where to measure...if I go center to center I come out with one pretty wide butt bones.

I'm no saddle fit expert, but here's what I'd do:

Pick a saddle that allows that c-c distance to fall nicely in the saddle's "sweet spot." You can usually tell where that's supposed to be - not right at the edge, not too close to the centerline.

See Terry Fly image below - you can sort of tell what the good areas are for your sit bones. Put a ruler on there and see if your sit bones fall within that. Front to back is a separate, but related issue.

Curvature is yet another variable to consider.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/productimages/images450/temft3-2.jpg

rePhil
09-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7j9LUVJrjA

Tickdoc
09-16-2016, 07:37 PM
the specialized ass-o-meter has me at a 155 but I love my 130 arione cx all day long...like 100/10,000 all day long.

figuring out a saddle that works has to be one of the most maddening aspect in the way of a comfortable ride experience

+1. Ariones rock the sit bones.

regularguy412
09-16-2016, 08:28 PM
Purely IMO,, but here goes:

I've spent a lot of time back in the day (20 years ago) figuring out what saddle my butt likes. I practically had a new saddle every year or maybe even 2 per year for about 7 years from 1988 thru 1995, simply because I kept getting saddle sores or bruising. Turns out my biggest issue was a leg length discrepancy (which I subsequently fixed with cleat shimming). But during all those trial runs on various saddles,, I also found that it's not all just about your own physical attributes (i.e: ischial tuberosity geometry) but can be more about how you actually SIT on the saddle.

To wit: If you have a more upright posture (hips not rolled forward much), then you'd 'prolly' like a wider saddle. If you have a more forward posture (hips rolled forward) you'd prolly like a slightly narrower saddle. This is because the iscial tuberosities (sit bones) are narrower at the front (near the pubis) and wider at the back. So it figures that if you sit more on the front of your pelvis (rolled forward hips) you'd need a narrower saddle and if you sit more upright, a wider one.

This, at least, worked for me. I know that I can ride mostly any saddle that is between 125 mm and 132 mm wide at its widest point. Also saddle contour can come into play. I prefer saddles that are mostly straight or flat across the top front to back. So I kinda sit ON it. Some others may prefer a saddle that has a bit of a curve in it so you kinda sit IN it.

So for me, Selle Italia SLK is just about perfect. I own 5 of them (3 are for future use).

Mike in AR:beer:

soulspinner
09-17-2016, 06:34 AM
Bike shop I used to work in had a sit in it leave your cheeky impression thing. It was a Trek store. Do they still have them?

cdn_bacon
09-17-2016, 07:27 PM
sit on a piece of cardboard on a set of stairs. preferably wood. then raise your knees up for about 20 seconds. take two ball bearings ( or marbles) and drop them in the spots. voila, they will fall to the most indented spots. mark on cardboard and measure.

livingminimal
09-18-2016, 06:06 PM
based on my body size and type (and conventional wisdom) I should not be riding an Arione.

Ariones are the ONLY saddles I like and are comfortable and work for me.

Whatever. it's all trial and error.

ultraman6970
09-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Arione is a nice saddle, I like flat saddles, but i cant use the arione. My butt cant stand it more than 15 minutes, to the point that i have to come back home and swap it.