PDA

View Full Version : FL PreRamble

Keith A
07-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I am really looking forward to this year's Finger Lake Ramble -- so much so, that I'm arriving a day early to get in one day of asphalt only riding. I'll be in town Thrusday afternoon and am planning on riding Friday monring with route planning hopefully from dbrk.

I'd like to do some hill climbing at a quicker pace than the official ramble rate. So would anyone else like to join me? If so, then I'll figure out and post a starting time (location will be dbrk's house).

So come out and join me for the PreRamble :banana:

Ginger
07-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Keith,
Why don't you find a copy of the Highlander century route for the area. I understand there *are* some hills on it, it's all pavement, and the route planning is already done!

Keith A
07-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Ginger -- Good input, thanks!

Ginger
07-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Ooo...lookee here. Looks like they have their various routes in pdf format for your viewing pleasure
:banana:

They also have a flatter 100, a 62 mile, a 30 mile, and a mountaineer tour. :)

http://www.highlandercycletour.com/Images/HighlanderRide/2006%20Highlander.pdf

Keith A
07-14-2006, 12:03 PM
What would I do without you?

Ginger
07-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Search the forum yourself...and I *know* that Google is your personal friend. :p

hypnos
07-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Keith,

If my work schedule allows, I would be happy to show you some hills that will make you cry..... well, they make me cry sometimes. There are some very steep climbs within easy reach of DBRK's house. Doing part of the Highlander route is a great idea.

Jeff

Keith A
07-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Jeff -- Sounds great, just let us know if you'll be able to join us. If not, then maybe you could sugget a good route.

dbrk
07-14-2006, 03:38 PM
I would be happy to provide a route for a PreRamble that includes some of the Highlander. Hypnos Jeff knows the roads but if you start from our driveway there are some good options for those who want to go UP, far and fast.

When you get to town I'll have routes printed out and a notion of distance.

I'm not planning on providing route maps for our Ramble rides since we'll all be together.

dbrk

BumbleBeeDave
07-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Bopple.

BBD

hypnos
07-15-2006, 12:35 PM
You can Bopple if you like, but I may go around and meet ya at the top.

dbrk
07-16-2006, 08:50 AM
If you want a Ramble-esque Bopple ride I'd send you up Skid Hill Road (a left turn off Rt 64S just before the right that take you up Gannett Hill Rd). I was considering this climb for our Ramble and rode it again yesterday. Ixnay. It's just too steep, too far, too long, and the unpaved sections after the second or third false summit are sketchy descents. I was riding my Goodrich Rambler, a 700c modern tubed, filet-brazed, super light tubing road bike with Avocet 32c slick tires and I wouldn't have ridden anything else but a fat-tire 650b...no skinnys...But Keith, Hypnos, you guys have great biking skills and a genuine love of suffering...Skid Hill: not even the local racers do this one.

dbrk

Keith A
07-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks dbrk -- but I'm looking for some paved roads on this Friday morning jaunt.