PDA

View Full Version : You want to ride a bike in Manhattan?

DarrinNYC
09-16-2016, 06:28 AM
So, you want to ride a bike in Manhattan (or ANY city for that matter)? Here are a few of my real world tips on some of the basics:

https://youtu.be/mjfwNLzteqw

What else would YOU throw in for people to know?

-holiday76
09-16-2016, 03:24 PM
nice self plug.

I just use Citibike and try to follow the rules.

purpurite
09-16-2016, 03:49 PM
About 32:00 too long. ;)

-holiday76
09-16-2016, 03:53 PM

and i like how we have to watch it all to decide if we have anything to add.

CMiller
09-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Hey, thanks for sharing. Might I suggest you make a series with individual videos about your points? The millennial in me is crying when I see "a few points" and see a 30 minute video - I can watch like 5 of my favorites shows during that time haha.

If you do decide to keep it that long then maybe in your description map out the times you talk about a topic.

Ex.
3:00-7:15 Lights
7:15-12:00 winter riding

etc.

DarrinNYC
09-16-2016, 05:02 PM

No one has EVER said brevity is my charm. :)

DarrinNYC
09-16-2016, 05:03 PM
and i like how we have to watch it all to decide if we have anything to add.

No one forced you to watch all of it! :) It's not like "A Clockwork Orange" with the lid-locks. :)

DarrinNYC
09-16-2016, 05:04 PM
nice self plug.

I just use Citibike and try to follow the rules.

I love feedback, but I'm not sure why you feel this is a "self plug."

DarrinNYC
09-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Hey, thanks for sharing. Might I suggest you make a series with individual videos about your points? The millennial in me is crying when I see "a few points" and see a 30 minute video - I can watch like 5 of my favorites shows during that time haha.

If you do decide to keep it that long then maybe in your description map out the times you talk about a topic.

Ex.
3:00-7:15 Lights
7:15-12:00 winter riding

etc.

GREAT ideas. I'm incorporating those into my next videos. Thank you for the advice!

54ny77
09-16-2016, 05:32 PM
some of us have the occasional bats&^%! crazy family member (typically an elderly in-law, of course), where you could start a brief conversation such as "hello," walk away for a half hour or so, come back and there they are, still talking as if you never left.

this video felt like that.

:D

CampyorBust
09-16-2016, 05:57 PM
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/southpark/images/6/6a/Abstract-ideas-reality.png/revision/latest?cb=20151101192955

BobbyJones
09-16-2016, 06:10 PM
some of us have the occasional bats&^%! crazy family member (typically an elderly in-law, of course), where you could start a brief conversation such as "hello," walk away for a half hour or so, come back and there they are, still talking as if you never left.

this video felt like that.

:D

I concur. Which is why I scrubbed through. I stopped scrubbing somewhere around "you really don't need lights..." or something like that. Maybe you covered it, but lights in NYC aren't about seeing, it's about being seen. I wouldn't know because watching was about as painful as Alex must've felt during the lidlock scene- at least I had the option to turn away.

There's really only two rules for commuting in NYC:

1) Learn the rhythm and get comfortable (not complacent) Pretty much applicable for anytime you're on a bike around other things, moving or not.

2) Ride like no one sees you and plan your actions accordingly.

everything else is minor details except when the NYPD is doing cycling specific crackdowns.

DarrinNYC
09-16-2016, 07:00 PM
I concur. Which is why I scrubbed through. I stopped scrubbing somewhere around "you really don't need lights..." or something like that. Maybe you covered it, but lights in NYC aren't about seeing, it's about being seen. I wouldn't know because watching was about as painful as Alex must've felt during the lidlock scene- at least I had the option to turn away.

There's really only two rules for commuting in NYC:

1) Learn the rhythm and get comfortable (not complacent) Pretty much applicable for anytime you're on a bike around other things, moving or not.

2) Ride like no one sees you and plan your actions accordingly.

everything else is minor details except when the NYPD is doing cycling specific crackdowns.

LOL... I PROMISE to become a little more brief!!! :) I'm new to the vlog thing, so.... Phew! I did make the same light observation as you. Next time I will have a bit of the Ludwig Van playing in the background! :)

Darrin

-holiday76
09-17-2016, 07:16 AM
I love feedback, but I'm not sure why you feel this is a "self plug."

Because you posted a link to your own video.

Rusty Luggs
09-17-2016, 09:38 AM
I think you have hit upon an effective alternative to water boarding.

dgauthier
09-17-2016, 09:50 AM
What, a riding tips video with no riding? I guess that's how you stay safe riding in Manhattan -- talk about riding, but don't ride.

bobswire
09-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Darrin, welcome to the Paceline Gauntlet line. A suggestion for your next project, "How not to post a video on ridding in Manhattan" or do a voice over using a video like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xphlt0i0Lz4) :)

19wisconsin64
09-17-2016, 06:56 PM
....i've been riding and living in nyc for 14 years, and have noticed that year over year it's becoming worse and worse. more people, more rental bikes, lots of drivers running red lights, lots of electric bikes/skooters/skateboards/tourists going the wrong way and every way and not looking.....

so i've learned only to bike when no one else is around.....or as few people are around as possible. central park very early morning, prospect park during quiet times....everything else is now so dangerous...it's terrible.

going out of town to go up 9W is good, but to get there you also have to be very careful.

good luck out there if you do ride...heads up, be careful, and if it can happen to you it will. it's a game of saying away from anything that can cross your path.

stay safe folks. those white painted bikes all over the place are not even the beginning of how many cyclists (mostly non-racers, and we never hear about them) are killed in nyc. bells, helmets, lights, ride when fewer people are out, stay alert, don't go too fast, ride safe and smart and heads up!

fiamme red
09-17-2016, 09:41 PM
....i've been riding and living in nyc for 14 years, and have noticed that year over year it's becoming worse and worse. more people, more rental bikes, lots of drivers running red lights, lots of electric bikes/skooters/skateboards/tourists going the wrong way and every way and not looking.....I walked out of my building in Manhattan a few hours ago, stepped on the sidewalk, and a cyclist rode by at about 15 mph, missing me by two feet. I yelled at him to get off the sidewalk and he gave me the finger. :rolleyes:

fuzzalow
09-17-2016, 10:17 PM
I cannot fault the OP for trying to help. However...

I got as far as the talk about suggested use of safety taillights & headlights, which is unlikely anyone would disagree with.

NYC DOT requires of all bicycles a bell and also headlight & taillight if the bicycle is operated after dusk. The video overlooks and makes no mention of this requirement which is a failure for a video about Manhattan/NYC bicycling. If you wanna help Manhattan bicyclists, you gotta at least cover the bare minimum legal stuff. When you blew this one, I stopped watching.

IMO doing a video like this is like putting out an IED. There are hundreds of things out there, all of which can maim or kill. No way to make somebody smarter on a few tips - in many ways, when it come to survival on a bike in Manhattan, in the parlance of moonshiner/old NASCAR culture: "you run what you brung" - "brung" being skill & street smarts you have and hopefully acquire. If you ride in Manhattan often and you don't learn something from your rides, you ain't paying enough attention to what your're doin'.

Wanna stay alive riding in Manhattan? KISS. Slow down. Everything else? You're on your own.

malcolm
09-18-2016, 09:10 AM
Wow tough crowd. I admit I didn't make it through but hey I don't plan on riding in NYC and the reality is if you have to watch a video to ride a bike safely you're starting behind the 8 ball with a likely lack of common sense so a detailed video may be what you need.

However I say kudos to Darrin for doing something, may not be my cup of tea but I suspect for every negative you may have helped out someone. The positives never respond.

fuzzalow
09-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Wow tough crowd. I admit I didn't make it through but hey I don't plan on riding in NYC and the reality is if you have to watch a video to ride a bike safely you're starting behind the 8 ball with a likely lack of common sense so a detailed video may be what you need.

However I say kudos to Darrin for doing something, may not be my cup of tea but I suspect for every negative you may have helped out someone. The positives never respond.

Wow, half-baked advice which is dangerous because it doesn't respect the gravity of the danger. Lemme say that anybody lacking common sense to go out in Manhattan traffic and survive can't be helped by a "detailed video" - how do you train someone for a thought process where the threat profile changes by the split-second?

If I sound tough it is because anytime the topic of safety comes up I take the view that the rigor & discipline of safety habits must be as unyielding as a fatality you are looking to avoid. Gotta know and respect what you are up against.

I think an apt analogy of Manhattan riding is like a pro quarterback stepping behind center, viewing the defense and taking the snap. Every red light turned green while riding a bike looks and feels just like that. Gotta read the threat picture at the line and anticipate & react to what happens the seconds and minutes after traffic is snapped/set loose. Then you get to the next red light and it regroups to happen all over again. Don't get sacked. Don't get blindsided.

I'll be honest - I like riding in Manhattan: it is challenging, fun and can be fatal. But I never underestimate the complexity and the danger and I learn something every week in the refinement of my own process in doing it.

malcolm
09-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Wow, half-baked advice which is dangerous because it doesn't respect the gravity of the danger. Lemme say that anybody lacking common sense to go out in Manhattan traffic and survive can't be helped by a "detailed video" - how do you train someone for a thought process where the threat profile changes by the split-second?

If I sound tough it is because anytime the topic of safety comes up I take the view that the rigor & discipline of safety habits must be as unyielding as a fatality you are looking to avoid. Gotta know and respect what you are up against.

I think an apt analogy of Manhattan riding is like a pro quarterback stepping behind center, viewing the defense and taking the snap. Every red light turned green while riding a bike looks and feels just like that. Gotta read the threat picture at the line and anticipate & react to what happens the seconds and minutes after traffic is snapped/set loose. Then you get to the next red light and it regroups to happen all over again. Don't get sacked. Don't get blindsided.

I'll be honest - I like riding in Manhattan: it is challenging, fun and can be fatal. But I never underestimate the complexity and the danger and I learn something every week in the refinement of my own process in doing it.

Well dude you tend to disagree just to disagree but what the hell. I don't think you can teach common sense via a 30 minute video. You seem to be describing situational awareness and I fully agree, it always pays to be aware and understand the risks of a given situation. I question how much of it you would gain from a 30 minute video. To each his own.

DarrinNYC
09-18-2016, 07:36 PM
What, a riding tips video with no riding? I guess that's how you stay safe riding in Manhattan -- talk about riding, but don't ride.

I'll ride 5,000+ miles this year... around half of it in Manhattan. I definitely ride! :)

DarrinNYC
09-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Darrin, welcome to the Paceline Gauntlet line. A suggestion for your next project, "How not to post a video on ridding in Manhattan" or do a voice over using a video like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xphlt0i0Lz4) :)

So I'm finding. Hey, there are plenty of folks whose criticism has been helpful and constructive; I've received a ton of favorable comments on other bike sites, YouTube, and here from folks who found the information incredibly helpful; of course there are haters. No worries!!! I'm too full of positive energy to be dragged sown by the last group.

DarrinNYC
09-18-2016, 07:40 PM
....i've been riding and living in nyc for 14 years, and have noticed that year over year it's becoming worse and worse. more people, more rental bikes, lots of drivers running red lights, lots of electric bikes/skooters/skateboards/tourists going the wrong way and every way and not looking.....

so i've learned only to bike when no one else is around.....or as few people are around as possible. central park very early morning, prospect park during quiet times....everything else is now so dangerous...it's terrible.

going out of town to go up 9W is good, but to get there you also have to be very careful.

good luck out there if you do ride...heads up, be careful, and if it can happen to you it will. it's a game of saying away from anything that can cross your path.

stay safe folks. those white painted bikes all over the place are not even the beginning of how many cyclists (mostly non-racers, and we never hear about them) are killed in nyc. bells, helmets, lights, ride when fewer people are out, stay alert, don't go too fast, ride safe and smart and heads up!

I've only been riding in Manhattan for four years, but you are spot on regarding all your points based on what I've experienced.

DarrinNYC
09-18-2016, 07:43 PM

Agreed!

Some say I was too brief and lacked through conversation; others thought far too long. I KNOW it's always no win! :)

rustychisel
09-19-2016, 12:23 AM
I just didn't quite get the point. Manhattan: mean and dangerous, but there's plenty of other places like that. It's not unique is what I'm saying.

Now, cycling in London, encapsulating that experience in a 30min video oughtta rattle your cage.

Ti Designs
09-19-2016, 01:19 AM
I've never gone out for a coaching ride with a new rider and come back with an experienced rider. There are two possible reasons for that. One is that I suck as a coach. The other is that the learning process doesn't work that way...

When I ride, most of the things I'm doing are background tasks. Bike handling, shifting, braking, pedaling - none of these things take active thought. In the learning process thats called the autonomous stage. New riders aren't there yet, they're focusing on everything they're doing, which also means they're not focusing on all the other things - that's called the associative stage of learning. The only way of making an experienced rider out of a new rider is lots of time in making the individual tasks something that happens automatically.

I have a claim that lots of people really hate - Youtube is NOT a learning process. This really upsets some people, so I ran a little test. I had a class where 4 people learned how to change a tire. I followed the normal learning process, I explained what needed to happen, I helped them along the first time, then I had them do it another few times. Another 4 people watched a Youtube video on how to change a flat. Then came the test. All I can say is that Youtube sucks as a teacher even more than I do...

Honestly, if you want to know why this video is ineffective, find a new rider who wants to learn and take the time to make them an experienced rider. It's way more than 32 minutes.

oldpotatoe
09-19-2016, 06:27 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xphlt0i0Lz4

Yeefarging gads!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Mr. Pink
09-19-2016, 08:19 AM
I have a claim that lots of people really hate - Youtube is NOT a learning process. This really upsets some people, so I ran a little test. I had a class where 4 people learned how to change a tire. I followed the normal learning process, I explained what needed to happen, I helped them along the first time, then I had them do it another few times. Another 4 people watched a Youtube video on how to change a flat. Then came the test. All I can say is that Youtube sucks as a teacher even more than I do...

I don't know, man, you're being tough on this one. YouTube is pretty awesome at times to learn stuff. Seriously. Remember no YouTube? If you're over 18 years old, sure you do. Was it easier learning from a book? Of course one on one is much better, but, most of the time we can't get that as easy as clicking on our computer.
I've learned a lot of things on YouTube. How to prune my bushes and trees? There it is. And, it's free! Cooking a lot of stuff? Again, free! Pretty cool.

As far as biking in Manhattan, used to do it, but haven't in a while. I always said it was such a rush, a total experience that required every ounce of concentration and readiness. Also, it's pretty neat biking in a place that cars actually are slower than you at least half the time. But, it's really dangerous. I see Citibike tourists in sandals and no helmets these days and do the sign of the cross. Madone, save them. My advise would be to make it to Grand Central as quickly as possible, buy a bike permit, and take the train to Katonah, and start there.

tumbler
09-19-2016, 08:44 AM
Did someone actually compare this video to an IED? I think we need to calm down a bit.

CampyorBust
09-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Oh common, the stalking and trolling have not even begun let alone reached fever pitch. Darrin is getting off easy.

MagicHour
09-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Definitely agree, it's worse now than ever, I've been here since '92. Do most of my miles indoors on Zwift now, with occasional greenway rides and rides upstate on the weekends.
My tip-ride as if everyone/thing is physically trying to kill you. :eek:

fiamme red
09-19-2016, 09:58 AM
I used to enjoy riding a bike in Manhattan, but now the traffic has become so bad that I hate it. I don't want to ride a bike there, it's just easier and cheaper for me than the subway.