PDA

View Full Version : Gearing for Crawford Notch?

jwb96
07-14-2006, 10:18 AM
I was wondering if any of my fellow New Englanders have done Crawford Notch and can recommend a cassette to go with a 39 front ring. For context, the trip I did last year went over the Kanc (to Lincoln) and I used a 12-25 fairly comfortably. I've heard that Crawford is worse, so am wondering if I need to go to a 12-27 or stick with a 25.

Thanks,
Jim

Tracer
07-14-2006, 10:27 AM
As a weakling and I spinner, my go to cassette in NH is a 12/27. When I did this climb, I really appreaciated the 27, but the steepest part of the climb was actually shorter than I thought and I am sure you could survive it with a 25.

Happy suffering.

Chris

Tom Kellogg
07-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Jim:

The Kank east to west is worse than Crawford east to west. Crawford is a very nice grade, very steady and comfortable until quite near the top where it really kicks up. As you know, the last mile of the Kank is pretty tough. Crawford is steeper at the top, but considerably shorter. The only thing that may make it worse is that the winds can be pretty bad out of the west near the top. Even at its worst section near the top, the view of the cliffs are easily enough to distract you from the pain. Of course, if you are going west to east, there is no climb to speak of since since you would be coming from Twin Mountain.