PDA

View Full Version : OT Brandy Drinkers

parco
09-14-2016, 11:05 PM
I am looking for a Brandy or Cognac that is really smooth. Most of the ones I've
tried (Courvoisier, Remy Martin , Hennessy) have a kind of "bite" that I don't enjoy. Can anyone out there make some recommendations?

JAGI410
09-14-2016, 11:17 PM
Bourbon.

donevwil
09-15-2016, 12:05 AM
Remy Martin too bitey? That's a tough one, it's one of the smoothest spirits I've tried. Some Canadian and Irish Whiskeys are smoother. I assume you have a reference spirit that has a bite you like or tolerate? Mind sharing? Have you tried an ice cube or dash of water? Maybe search for something triple or quadruple distilled.

Ken Robb
09-15-2016, 12:55 AM
You've had some of the best. Maybe you should add a wee bit of water?

CDollarsign
09-15-2016, 07:07 AM
Have you tried any offerings from some american craft distillers like St. George or Copper & Kings?

eippo1
09-15-2016, 07:32 AM
Might want to try Bushmills high end stuff called Black Bush. It's actually an Irish whiskey, but very smooth.

54ny77
09-15-2016, 07:57 AM
http://cdn.quotesgram.com/small/32/37/1175389824-103e78ea3113af5358aa22f3625b55f8.jpg

pdmtong
09-15-2016, 02:51 PM
You've had some of the best. Maybe you should add a wee bit of water?

get a plastic water bottle cap and add maybe half a cap of water to a standard pour. the water is to open the spirit up, not dilute it.

for ABV about 48% most folk will prefer some water added, once ABV gets above 53% or so just about any spirit bottled at higher proof will benefit from a touch of water.

the water will roundoff that "bite" that you mention.

even at 40-48% folks prefer water. it's all individual.

try it.

ColonelJLloyd
09-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Bourbon.

Not so much. Maybe Basil Hayden or some soft wheated bourbons, but if 80 proof brandy is has too much bite I wouldn't recommend many bourbons.

Local distiller Copper & Kings is making some really good American brandy (and Absinthe), but it's gonna be hotter than those listed in the OP.

parco
09-15-2016, 02:59 PM
I was in Belgium once and was served some orange brandy. It was really good and really smooth. I can't remember the name. I thought I'd try to infuse a brandy with some orange and see if I can come close.

ColonelJLloyd
09-15-2016, 03:19 PM
I was in Belgium once and was served some orange brandy. It was really good and really smooth. I can't remember the name. I thought I'd try to infuse a brandy with some orange and see if I can come close.

Well, that's a different story. I enjoy Calvados and other apple brandies. There are some really good US distillers now too. Not cheap, though.

chwupper
09-15-2016, 03:27 PM
Maybe look into some armagnacs instead of cognacs. They tend to be fuller flavored than cognacs. That might be more pleasing to your palate. Otherwise, a few drops of water. And always, always wear a smoking jacket.

gomango
09-15-2016, 04:16 PM
Well, that's a different story. I enjoy Calvados and other apple brandies. There are some really good US distillers now too. Not cheap, though.

So do we.

Really great advice right here.

Not too shabby between courses.

We do a pheasant, grouse, brown trout feast in the fall.

Really, a proper way to enjoy the fall season here in Minnesota.

Richard
09-15-2016, 04:38 PM
Try Delamain.

parco
09-17-2016, 11:36 PM
get a plastic water bottle cap and add maybe half a cap of water to a standard pour. the water is to open the spirit up, not dilute it.

for ABV about 48% most folk will prefer some water added, once ABV gets above 53% or so just about any spirit bottled at higher proof will benefit from a touch of water.

try it.
I tried this and it really does help. Thanks

Dired
09-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Hine is the smoothest vsop cognac I've tried. About $50.

malcolm
09-18-2016, 08:54 AM

try it.

This. I've always been an off and on scotch drinker and usually drank them neat with the assumption that why would you dilute a really good/expensive scotch. I was drinking one night with buddy that's way more into scotch than me and he explained the open up/smooth out concept and I'm sold. Just a splash of water or single small ice cube. I'm convinced it makes good better.

pdmtong
09-18-2016, 10:18 AM
This. I've always been an off and on scotch drinker and usually drank them neat with the assumption that why would you dilute a really good/expensive scotch. I was drinking one night with buddy that's way more into scotch than me and he explained the open up/smooth out concept and I'm sold. Just a splash of water or single small ice cube. I'm convinced it makes good better.

the serious guys use medicine droppers. that's a bit much for me since I am also not precisely measuring the initial pour.

or you can use a straw - put straw in water to fill with amount you want, put thumb on top of straw, remove straw from water, take thumb off.

I just use a bottle cap but that also requires steady hands after consumption.

I dont care to use ice (but if I do, small cube as you note) since hard to control the melt rate or the resultant temperature. I tried those freezer rocks once - pita since they need ot be washed when done and when drinking they hit your teeth on the last sip.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/2012/04/11/whisky-stones-do-they-rock-or-not/