PDA

View Full Version : Paul melvin question. Take up.

Cicli
09-14-2016, 06:39 PM
I am thinking of running a two speed up front. Something like a 38/26 XT. I will turn a WI freewheel. Shift it with a thumbie. Will a Paul Melvin be able to take up that and act to keep the chain tensioned on both chainrings?
I do t want an ugly derailuer out back. Try to keep it clean.

Steve in SLO
09-14-2016, 07:01 PM
This is way off from what you're asking for, but have you looked at the Truvativ HammerSchmidt crankset?
Planetary gears and two ratios: 1:1, and 1:1.6. No need for any external bits.

Cicli
09-14-2016, 07:13 PM
This is way off from what you're asking for, but have you looked at the Truvativ HammerSchmidt crankset?
Planetary gears and two ratios: 1:1, and 1:1.6. No need for any external bits.

I saw that. Spendy.

Steve in SLO
09-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Yes they are spendy, but the riders from SCRAM//Truvativ (local,to me) really love them. They can be found for $400 delivered.

bewheels
09-14-2016, 08:35 PM
If you are looking to do this on the cheap, why not use an old derailuer and use extra long set screws.

I don't think the Melvin is going to work. I believe it is designed to be in a certain orientation ... Like vertical.

oldpotatoe
09-15-2016, 06:42 AM
I am thinking of running a two speed up front. Something like a 38/26 XT. I will turn a WI freewheel. Shift it with a thumbie. Will a Paul Melvin be able to take up that and act to keep the chain tensioned on both chainrings?
I do t want an ugly derailuer out back. Try to keep it clean.

Here's a pic of one used on a triple..I think it'll work just fine as will a shimano chain tensioner.

Cicli
09-15-2016, 06:43 AM
If you are looking to do this on the cheap, why not use an old derailuer and use extra long set screws.

I don't think the Melvin is going to work. I believe it is designed to be in a certain orientation ... Like vertical.

Not on the cheap just not on a 400.00 crank.